Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Advice from the people who know stuff more gooder.

...you hot, salty nut! Recognized Member fire_of_avalon's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Default Advice from the people who know stuff more gooder.

Soooo I want to buy a DSLR camera. I know a little bit about cameras, how they work and stuff like that, but I want to buy something at a decent price point that I can use to actually learn about cameras and good photography.

I know a few people IRL I can ask, but it occurs to me that EoFF has some great photographers, professional photographers even, and I can ask them. And I'm going to do that in a minute, don't rush me because I have another point to make.

EoFF actually has a lot of really talented people from various backgrounds. Authors, musicians, parents, crafters, bakers and cheffers (it's a word NOW) programmers, website developers... I mean the list goes on and on.

So, I'd like to know, which of you has an area of expertise in which you feel comfortable guiding others? What is that area and how did you come about your knowledge? Secondary topic, do you have any camera advice for me?

Signature by rubah. I think.

Articles
    Blog Entries

Video games and pro wrestling, I suppose. Though I don't know how I would advise someone on either and don't consider myself the best person to go to for advice on anything.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Pumpkin Contrary (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

I guess I could teach some French and maybe a bit of cooking and baking?

*permanently smitten*
    A Vey Good Friend
    Blog Entries

Dancing Chocobo

What's your budget, is there any particular kind of shooting you want to do, and are you looking for a brand new or a second hand camera? I think in the long run your lenses will be where you spend the money, not camera bodies. I won a second hand Canon Rebel Xti four years ago and it's still going strong and has given me no issues. I bought a 50mm lens which is great for all purpose stuff, and then upgraded to a slightly bigger one a year or so later. Personally I think I like prime lenses better because they give me less options, but if you're unsure, you could always try renting one - I've used this place and they were great.

I'm not sure I would say I was an expert on anything, but I guess I know a fair about about art history, vegan cooking, French Dadaist poetry and Britpop - so nothing useful.

Contributions
    • Former Site Staff

This seems more like Miriel's expertise, photography-wise.

Someone summon Del's wife.

buy a troutty camera (check second hand places for a less troutty camera at a troutty camera price) and learn about photography and how to take good photos or you'll be one of those people who buy a $$$$ camera and use the Auto function to take pics of their pets

then when you get good at cameras or you haven't decided it was a dumb temporary hobby (90% of people who buy a camera) then you can buy a $$$$ camera that you wont leave to gather dust except on birthdays or when your pet does a funny thing hope this helps

Eggstreme Wheelie Recognized Member Jiro's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Editor
    • Notable contributions to former community wiki

In terms of semi unique skills, I can help with writing and running related subjects.

I should probably buy a smurfing camera at some point, but I tend to travel light so that I can climb things whenever I go out (yes this is a legitimate concern).

They see me rolling. They hating, patrolling.
    Trying to catch me riding dirty.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Fonzie View Post
    This seems more like Miriel's expertise, photography-wise.

Someone summon Del's wife.
    It seems you are neglecting the fact Calliope does photography as well, and she posted right above you. This saddens me.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Well I'm a guitar teacher in a secondary school so that would definitely be where my talents lie. Singing too I suppose though I've never actually given any lessons in that.

Also, I'd say I'm an expert on Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past so if anyone wants any advice then let me know

I don't have much in way of camera advice but my girlfriend's Dad is an amazing photographer. He's constantly on safari's and frequenting nature reserves and some of the pictures he gets are incredible.

Quote Originally Posted by ToriJ View Post
    Video games and pro wrestling, I suppose. Though I don't know how I would advise someone on either and don't consider myself the best person to go to for advice on anything.
    Exactly the same for me, but rarely does the need arise to give such advice on either topic unfortunately. Sometimes a work colleague or friend will ask about a game and whether they should buy it, or about something that happened a long time ago in wrestling storylines, but sadly these examples are few and far between.

I find it funny how sometimes I'm asked advice on things just because I do them rather than because I'm interested in them. For example I'm the go-to guy for bicycle related questions despite the fact I have no interest in maintenance or the latest models, I simply see it as my primary mode of transportation, and questions get asked about growing a beard simply because I have one. It's... really not hard.

Blog Entries

what am I expert at? Probably cooking. And getting drunk.

I cooked with my mom a lot growing up and then just kinda taught myself as I got older. I'm better at cooking Mexican food than other stuff, but I was taught by my exes' families.

Drinking, I learned from my dad. No for realzies. He'd let me drink the foam from his beer cans after he opened them when I was like 3.

I guess I'm knowledgeable when it comes to talkin Mexican, but I've found that actually teaching it to someone can be difficult and I have a hard time explaining it.. I've been helping shion some, but because I don't rly speak "textbook" Spanish. I speak the way people talk daily which isn't always proper.

I'm also an expert at being awesome.

Articles
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by AssassinDX View Post
    questions get asked about growing a beard simply because I have one. It's... really not hard.
    Step One: Grow beard
    There is no step two.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Fynnek Zoryasch (Twintania)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

Artistic music, linguistics, translations. Also, if anyone wants to learn Polish... Anyone? Hello?

Quote Originally Posted by ToriJ View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by AssassinDX View Post
    questions get asked about growing a beard simply because I have one. It's... really not hard.
    Step One: Grow beard
    There is no step two.
    No! Don't smurfing say it like it's that easy! IT'S NOT THAT SMURFIN' EASY!

Articles
    Blog Entries

Not if you can't grow one, no. For others there's no real trick to it it just grows when we neglect to shave.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Pumpkin Contrary (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

sharky grows a beard like no one's business and a lot of lady's find that sexy, but I dislike beards so I'm like ughhh

I'll spend the day he shaves rubbing my hands and my face on his face so I can enjoy it for the few hours it doesn't prickle me.

Anyone want to trade beard growing abilities with my boyfriend? It should work that way.