Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: We need a Windows 8 thread!

*permanently smitten*
    A Vey Good Friend
    Blog Entries

Dancing Chocobo

I didn't even know what the "metro thing" was until I googled it. There was no instruction booklet in the box or pre-loaded tutorial on my desktop, and when I found the help section and started reading it, it provided coaching for using tablet devices before even mentioning using a mouse and keyboard. I can choose to not use it, and I'm going through the windows button shortcuts, yes, but the point is that it is unnecessary, frustrating and difficult. I'm no longer even remotely excited to use my brand new expensive laptop, so I've reverted back to my older, slowly failing one. If I have to plug a mouse into it and then find something to use as a mousepad in order to use it, it becomes cumbersome to use in transit or in bed or anywhere that isn't a desk or table. It's good to learn new ways of doing things, sure, but it could be made easier to transition for people who have never used a tablet or smartphone before.

Currently using my new PC, and the new interface isn't really all that bad out the box for me.

Blog Entries

Yeah it took about 2 days of using it before I was completely fine and having no trouble switching between 7 and 8.1

Ghost 'n' Stuff NorthernChaosGod's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Windows 8 is pretty cool, it's stable and boots pretty fast. I've had programs from the beginning to get rid of the Metro thing and add the Start menu back, so it's basically Windows 7 with more stuff.

Blog Entries

Have any of you got the 8.1 update?

FFXIV Character

Caedus Ulvein (Sargatanas)

I do and it made this version of Windows so much better than I thought it would xD

Huh? Flower?! What the hell?! Administrator Psychotic's Avatar
    Articles

I just got a new Laptop with 8.1... I made the jump all the way from XP Apps randomly come flying up when I move the cursor to the left and that annoys the trout out of me, but other than that it's pretty great.

FFXIV Character

You can turn that off :c)

1. Move your mouse cursor to top-right or bottom-right corner of screen and click on Settings icon present in Charms Bar.
    2. Now click on "Change PC settings" option.
    3. It'll open PC Settings page. Now go to "PC & devices -> Corners & edges" section.

Turn off the two settings for app switching.

The King's Shield The Summoner of Leviathan's Avatar

FFXIV Character

Patroclus Menoetius (Sargatanas)

I don't mind Windows 8.1. I adjusted to it. It pissed me off a lot at first, mostly because I was having problems updating it and for some magical reason Windows install did not recognize the RAID set-up done by the manufacturer (laptop). Once I figured out the problem I was able to clean install and got everything to work. Silly Lenovo.

*permanently smitten*
    A Vey Good Friend
    Blog Entries

Dancing Chocobo

Quote Originally Posted by CimminyCricket View Post
    You can turn that off :c)

1. Move your mouse cursor to top-right or bottom-right corner of screen and click on Settings icon present in Charms Bar.
    2. Now click on "Change PC settings" option.
    3. It'll open PC Settings page. Now go to "PC & devices -> Corners & edges" section.

Turn off the two settings for app switching.
    I want to rep this post ten thousand times - not because I currently need the information in it, but because it's an example of someone being helpful and not just saying "Oh, I adjusted to it, so I don't know why anyone else is having difficulty, it's not that hard". Good work!

Since my last post I have upgraded to 8.1 and it has made things much easier. I'm still not using that computer now though, because now it's stopped connecting to my wireless connection.

Very VIP person Tech Admin Rantz's Avatar
    Articles

There's certainly a lot about 8 that requires conscious effort to adjust to. That in itself is a negative, but there are definitely things that serve to weigh that up. Metro is pretty nice and (at a guess, though I can't say for sure) easier for a new user to get into than the desktop view. For a casual computer user, it works well enough to never really have to use the desktop mode at all. For someone who regularly uses computers for work or similar, I think Metro is still too new and unrefined to really work out as well as it might. It's moving in the right direction, but the very fact that you can still use the desktop is a tell-tale sign that Metro as it works today is not enough for those purposes. I used Windows 8 for about two months at work, and while I learned to appreciate many things about it, I ended up spending 99% of my time in the desktop interface, as Metro naturally does not have all the apps I need, and the interface is currently adapted for simpler tasks. I think it's an intermediary stage for sure, and we won't have those two modes for long.

I think it's a perfectly fine decision to stick with Windows 7 for the time being if you don't care to adjust or if you're unwilling to deal with early-days issues, although I don't imagine you'll be able to avoid adjusting to a more Metro-like interface for very long. And once it gets more polished, you'll be better off for having adjusted to it.

Articles
    Contributions
    • Former Editor

"Failure configuring Windows updates. Reverting changes"

Other than that, just get desktop versions of everything and it's not bad at all.

4444444444 4 4 444 44 4

FFXIV Character

For those of you with 8.1 you can set it so you always end up at the desktop instead of that start screen. If you right click on the taskbar and properties. Under navigation you can set it to be desktop instead of metro.

And don't forget you can customize that metro screen to suit your needs. I prefer it because I don't have to browse through folders to find all of my installed programs it just lists all of the programs and apps I've installed.

Also I'm glad you appreciated input

Recognized Member Scotty_ffgamer's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Scotty Ffgamer (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

I've grown accustomed to Windows 8 over time. I prefer the Desktop mode to metro for most things, but it's a lot quicker to pop into the metro thing and then start typing a program name I want to open up rather than go through folders to find it. I really haven't messed with customizing metro or disabling it or anything.

I hope your computer starts connecting to your wireless network, Calliope! I really don't know much about computers to help with that, but it sucks when something like that happens .

FFXIV Character

Check with the mfg of the device you're using to connect to see if there's an update. Obviously you'd need to download it to another computer and pop it on a flash drive (or a cloud if you have one [Google drive is bad ass]) then install it on your internet less PC. 8.1 has had a ton of issues with devices working after the update. There was an entire line of HP laptops that would brick if you installed 8.1.