Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Will my PC keep up with gaming evolution? At least for 10 years.

tech spirit
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Mirage Askai (Sargatanas)

Quote Originally Posted by DanielCLFFF13 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Mirage View Post
    CPU is good enough for now. RAM is low but workable. Few current games use more than 2-3 GB RAM, so if you keep the amount of background processes low, you can make do. GPU is terrible, even for current games. Upgrade to a budget GTX 600-series or better and you'll play current games pretty well. Upgrade to 8 GB RAM and you'll be good for perhaps games released 3-4 years from now.

I have a few years old GTX 460 and it can run current games at medium settings most of the time. I'm looking to upgrade soon though, not because I absolutely need it, but because I like high framerates and tons of antialiasing. How much power you need to be able to "game" on a PC is also entirely dependent on how high standards you have. If you are fine with playing PC games at the same graphics level as PS3 and XB360 outputs (or PS4/XBO from now on), you don't need to spend a lot on your PC upgrades at all.
    I played Grand Theft Auto IV on recommended setting but still the game a bit lag. Like got when I drive it's a bit slow on frame rates. GTX is definitely good. But for 3-5 years I don't think it would keep up though.
    I never said my GTX460 would last another 3-5 years. I said it is what currently counts as lower mid-end, to show that your card which is even lower can't be considered mid-end.
    everything is wrapped in gray
    i'm focusing on your image
    can you hear me in the void?

Blog Entries

DDR2 RAM is the older Vesion of DDR3 I can't go into specifics, as I don't know them but it's newer and cooler and stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by Mirage View Post
    The sims have usually had pretty low system requirements. The Sims 3 can run at even some of the lowest spec laptop GPUs that are sold today.

I wouldn't agree that the 430 is very mid level though. My GTX 460 is a lot better than it, and my card is low-mid end.
    You say that about the Sim's but if you have a 'mid range' setup it struggles if you have more than one expansion. it takes up a stupid amount of resources even on silly settings I've had to buy myself a fairly high end laptop just to be able to survive as I have every expansion pack lol, my Macbook always struggled (using windows 7) after the second expansion, kept blue screening after taking forever to load ;(

but as said, need more ram and definitely a more recent graphics card if you want it to last a while. My PC has the GTX570 GLH edition and still runs pretty strong after 2 years of having it, runs anything I throw at it with ultra high settings and looks smooth.
    I'll figure it out later...