Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Lightning Returns will have Lara Croft DLC at launch

Total Sweetheart
    Articles
    Blog Entries

Default Lightning Returns will have Lara Croft DLC at launch

Lightning Returns: Final Fantasy XIII will have Lara Croft DLC at launch!

It was announced earlier today on Square Enix's YouTube channel as well as Tomb Raider's Facebook page that Lightning will have a new DLC outfit for launch! Fans of both iconic series will be able to enjoy playing as Lightning while she roams around in Lara Croft's outfit as seen most recently in Square Enix's newest release of Tomb Raider: Definitive Edition. Aside from the outfit itself, she also has the wear and tear appearance of someone who's been literally fighting for their life in the wild. Lightning's sword appears to be Lara's pick axe and she also wields a riot shield.

It will be a treat to see two of the gaming industries leading ladies put together in some fashion. It leads me to wonder, would you be interested in picking up the new Tomb Raider if it had Lightning DLC? Are you as excited about this outfit as I am? Do you plan on getting this DLC?
    Last edited by Lone Wolf Leonhart; 02-05-2014 at 09:38 PM.

Sephiroth's Let's get sexy Edition:

SOLDIER 1st - check

Spira Summoner - check

Midgar Flower Girl
    Lara Croft

"Lightning Returns: Final Fantasy XIII - Tomb Raider DLC T..." - Videos - Viddler

Articles
    Blog Entries

I thought this meant we would actually be able to play as Lara Croft.

*leaves*

Don't forget we will also have the Japanese language voices as a launch DLC as well. For the first two weeks it will be free. So those that aren't getting the game in that time can still download that and get it for free in that time frame, before it becomes a paid DLC.

As for the Lara costume, this comes as no surprise to me though. We had that gimmicky N7 armor DLC for XIII-2 so I was expecting something similar in this game too. Square, quit with the costume DLC. Give us some story/sidequest DLC, and I'll eat that trout up. I don't care for costumes, I'm sorry.

Feel the Bern Administrator Del Murder's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Administrator
    • Hosted the Ciddies

I bet Square execs are literally drooling over all the money they will make from these downloadable outfits.

Proud to be the Unofficial Secret Illegal Enforcer of Eyes on Final Fantasy!
    When I grow up, I want to go to Bovine Trump University! - Ralph Wiggum

I don't see how it is any different than all the DLCs that contain guns or other equipment for other games. The gear does come with its own effects and stats, after all. It's not purely cosmetic.
    My friend Delzethin is currently running a GoFundMe account to pay for some extended medical troubles he's had. He's had chronic issues and lifetime troubles that have really crippled his career opportunities, and he's trying to get enough funding to get back to a stable medical situation. If you like his content, please support his GoFundMe, or even just contribute to his Patreon.

He can really use a hand with this, and any support you can offer is appreciated.

Huh? Flower?! What the hell?! Administrator Psychotic's Avatar
    Articles

That girl looks like she could use a good wash. I like how she's all grubby and dirty and then her pink hair is still glossy and perfectly styled.

Feel the Bern Administrator Del Murder's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Administrator
    • Hosted the Ciddies

Quote Originally Posted by Skyblade View Post
    I don't see how it is any different than all the DLCs that contain guns or other equipment for other games. The gear does come with its own effects and stats, after all. It's not purely cosmetic.
    You answered your own question. The cosmetic component of it is what makes it different, and, in my opinion a huge money maker for Square-Enix since it panders to two types of audiences (those who want functionality and those who want pretty outfits).

This is also the type of DLC that I fully support since it is clear these are extra things for those willing to pay for them, and not a carved-out section of the game reserved for 'future wallets use' (i.e., the XIII-2 battle arena).

Proud to be the Unofficial Secret Illegal Enforcer of Eyes on Final Fantasy!
    When I grow up, I want to go to Bovine Trump University! - Ralph Wiggum

Extra things? These costumes are already on the disc. You're basically reaching into your wallet, and paying to unlock it from its shackles. That is not good for business. It doesn't matter if it's $2 or $5, the point is it's already in the game. But because it's released individually as DLC, people are suckered into thinking that it's new content. The smurf it is.

Articles
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Psychotic View Post
    That girl looks like she could use a good wash. I like how she's all grubby and dirty and then her pink hair is still glossy and perfectly styled.
    I was scratching my head trying to figure out what I found unnatural about the pic and you just hit the nail on the head. A lot of these costumes look unnatural on her so I have no reason to be surprised.

Quote Originally Posted by Noctis Caelum View Post
    Extra things? These costumes are already on the disc. You're basically reaching into your wallet, and paying to unlock it from its shackles. That is not good for business. It doesn't matter if it's $2 or $5, the point is it's already in the game. But because it's released individually as DLC, people are suckered into thinking that it's new content. The smurf it is.
    Just when I thought I couldn't hate the concept of DLC any more.

Quote Originally Posted by Del Murder View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Skyblade View Post
    You answered your own question. The cosmetic component of it is what makes it different, and, in my opinion a huge money maker for Square-Enix since it panders to two types of audiences (those who want functionality and those who want pretty outfits).
    The guns or armors DLC for Mass Effect 2 or Mass Effect 3 were both cosmetic and functional. Heck, most weapon DLCs I've seen do change the way weapons look, and character skins are already a huge DLC market that no one complains about (League of Legends, anyone?).

This is also the type of DLC that I fully support since it is clear these are extra things for those willing to pay for them, and not a carved-out section of the game reserved for 'future wallets use' (i.e., the XIII-2 battle arena).
    Agreed.

Quote Originally Posted by Noctis Calum
    Actually, there are plenty of similar DLCs that are not included on the in-game content. Did you play Dissidia Duodecim? None of the rare DLC skins for pre-ordering (such as Tifa's Enforcer outfit) were included on the in-game code. Neither was Aeris as an assist character. Or the N7 Armor in Final Fantasy XIII-2.

There's also the multi-national release thing to think about. Some of these bonuses could have been released, as paid DLC, in the original Japanese release. Just because the localized version came out six months later, we should get everything that came out in between the two for free? Sure, it's added on the disc, the data is tiny and there is plenty of extra room. That doesn't mean that it was created specifically to be held back.

Even then, most people don't complain about cosmetic things being locked to a disc. It's when core content such as extra characters, levels, and story sections are put in that it gets to be a problem. This is clearly bonus content meant to cross-promote the games, it is not a core part of the game. Who cares?
    My friend Delzethin is currently running a GoFundMe account to pay for some extended medical troubles he's had. He's had chronic issues and lifetime troubles that have really crippled his career opportunities, and he's trying to get enough funding to get back to a stable medical situation. If you like his content, please support his GoFundMe, or even just contribute to his Patreon.

He can really use a hand with this, and any support you can offer is appreciated.

Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Luna Devika (Sargatanas)

I can't wait for this. I will be getting any and all DLCs for this game that I can, cause I can. LOL

Huh? Flower?! What the hell?! Administrator Psychotic's Avatar
    Articles

Instead of offering just outfits they should full on have that person (Lara Croft, Aeris, Cloud!) replace Lightning as DLC. I guarantee that'd be a lot more popular, particularly if you changed the voice too. Lightning's voice grates on me, she just sounds either permanently tired or like she's clenching her teeth.

Total Sweetheart
    Articles
    Blog Entries

When I bought the collector's edition I also bout the HD Tomb Raider trilogy in the same order, so as luck would have it I'll be spending time with both these ladies in the future

Quote Originally Posted by Psychotic View Post
    Instead of offering just outfits they should full on have that person (Lara Croft, Aeris, Cloud!) replace Lightning as DLC. I guarantee that'd be a lot more popular, particularly if you changed the voice too. Lightning's voice grates on me, she just sounds either permanently tired or like she's clenching her teeth.
    Of course Psychotic says it. FYI. That'd be weird. Which idea is better? Lara or Cloud saying all of the same lines Lightning was supposed to say or each having their own individual take on the story..?
    Jack: How do you know?

Will: It's more of a feeling really.

Jack: Well, that's not scientific. Feeling isn't knowing. Feeling is believing. If you believe it, you can't know because there's no knowing what you believe. Then again, no one should believe what they know either. Once you know anything that anything becomes unbelievable if only by virtue of the fact you now... know it. You know?

Will: No.

If Demolition Man were remade today

Huxley: What's wrong? You broke contact.
    Spartan: Contact? I didn't even touch you.
    Huxley: Don't you want to make love?
    Spartan: Is that what you call this? Why don't we just do it the old-fashioned way?
    Huxley: NO!
    Spartan: Whoa! Okay, calm down.
    Huxley: Don't tell me to calm down!
    Spartan: What's gotten into you? 'Cause it sure as hell wasn't me.
    Huxley: Physical relations in the way of intercourse are no longer acceptable John Spartan.
    Spartan: What? Why the hell not?
    Huxley: It's the law, John. And for your information, the very idea that you suggested it makes me feel personally violated.
    Spartan: Wait a minute... violated? Huxley what the hell are you accusing me of here?
    Huxley: You need to leave, John.
    Spartan: But Huxley.
    Huxley: Get out!
    Moments later Spartan is arrested for "violating" Huxley.

By the way, that's called satire. Get over it.