Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: This game is great!

absolutely haram Recognized Member Madame Adequate's Avatar

FFXIV Character

Hiero Dule (Brynhildr)
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Default This game is great!

This is the only FF I've not played before (barring some side games) and I've just started playing the PSP version.

All I can say so far is that I love it, it's tremendous and I'm already super addicted, I love love love the way character skills and stats develop according to what you do and I wish more JRPGs did that.

So far Firion is a fighter with a fire spell, Maria is a monk with various magics, and Guy duel-wields HUGE AXES!

Articles

FFXIV Character

Althalor Lightpike (Excalibur)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Social Media Manager

YES GET IN I love this game so much. It was so much fun to play and it saddens me that it doesn't get the attention it does. I think this is up there with FFX and FFTA as one of my all-time fave Final Fantasy games.

Now I want to replay it.

DON'T FORGET TO UNEQUIP YOUR TEMPORARY CHARACTERS BEFORE THEY LEAVE YOUR PARTY

Articles
    Blog Entries

It had a kickass cover too,

Final Fantasy II Cover.jpg

I love that logo.

I remember having fun for the bits I played. I have Final Fantasy Origins so I get to play I and II on that. Can't remember why I stopped, I think it was because of I.

Shoot, if Mister Adequate and Pike gives it their seal of approval I'm going to have to find time to play it again in the foreseeable future.

Recognized Member Scotty_ffgamer's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Scotty Ffgamer (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

This game is pretty awesome. I didn't think I would be a fan of the stat leveling going into it, but I didn't have any issues while I played. I don't know what the PSP version was like, but I played the GBA version where they had rebalanced the stat leveling to make it a bit easier, I think.

I actually really enjoy the story of this game too. Considering how bare bones the first FF was story-wise, this game had some nice characters, an interesting world, and a pretty awesome antagonist. There's a lot of meat there considering the time the game came out.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Pumpkin Contrary (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

I'm replaying it on the PSP also . It is a fun game!

Articles
    Blog Entries

I'm popping Origins into the PS3 to have a round of II now (yay backward compatibility!) we should have a compare and constrast of the different versions while we play.

Oh great, I have to wait for a update to finish first.

You may love the leveling system now. Give it time. The flaws will start to stand out pretty quickly.

While the concept is cool, the execution fails. Mostly because it will not keep your stats well rounded. As you Dodge more attacks, your Dodge increases. Which makes you Dodge even more. So eventually you have really high evade. But this means that your defenses are pitiful, so when you do inevitably get hit, you have no HP or Defense to make it survivable, and you get one-hit-killed.

Magic is absolutely ridiculous at high levels, because not only do you have to keep using it to level it up, you have to use it a particular number of times in each battle to continue to increase it, and very few mobs will live that long.

Due to the way so many of the different systems work against each other, you have to grind a ton to get everything up and keep your characters fairly viable. And the best way to grind? Hitting yourself. Expect to spend hours just sitting around beating up your own characters as you try to get through things.

And, as the final nail in the coffin, the dungeon design is not strong. There are tons of pointless mazes that don't feel like actual locations, and are incredibly easy to get lost in. You get no sense of where you should go, or why the location is structured the way it is. And if you ever save in a dungeon and put the game down for a week, good luck. You will probably never make it out of that dungeon when you pick it back up.
    My friend Delzethin is currently running a GoFundMe account to pay for some extended medical troubles he's had. He's had chronic issues and lifetime troubles that have really crippled his career opportunities, and he's trying to get enough funding to get back to a stable medical situation. If you like his content, please support his GoFundMe, or even just contribute to his Patreon.

He can really use a hand with this, and any support you can offer is appreciated.

Articles
    Blog Entries

I'm just going to follow Electroshock Therapy advice when it comes to self-mutilation. And pretty much everything else he said.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

I can say that I never had to mutilate myself (or do too much grinding really) in the GBA version of the game. I feel like the PSP version follows suit with the rebalancing of the leveling system, but I could be remembering wrong. The Origins version I feel like does keep the leveling issues of the original release though. I can't remember for sure.

Articles
    Blog Entries

Did the PSP keep the CGI opening? I enjoyed that part. They make the stupid mistake of playing the clip before the title screen and after you start a new game but it's still good. What did you guys name your characters? I named the main guy Ayen and the main girl Tori. I couldn't think of anything for Gus and Leon so I kept them as is.

The beginning when those Black Knights own you made me go, "The smurf?" It's been forever since I played so I thought I was going to get a Game Over screen and then BAM, I'm okay!

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

The PSP version does have the CG cutscenes from what I've heard. I honestly just kept the default names for all of the characters, I'm pretty sure. I very rarely change character names.

Articles
    Blog Entries

I always name myself after the main character to further immerse myself into the world. It makes me that much more invested in what's happening when it feels like it's me in there. RPGs that allow you to make your own characters has only enhanced that experience in my mind. Does anyone ever play around with the window color? I have a nice green color scheme going right now.

I feel like I'm playing everyone on Monk mode with the punching. HAHA! Two of the monsters just ran away from me during a fight, that's awesome!

Quote Originally Posted by ToriJ View Post
    I always name myself after the main character to further immerse myself into the world. It makes me that much more invested in what's happening when it feels like it's me in there. RPGs that allow you to make your own characters has only enhanced that experience in my mind. Does anyone ever play around with the window color? I have a nice green color scheme going right now.

I feel like I'm playing everyone on Monk mode with the punching. HAHA! Two of the monsters just ran away from me during a fight, that's awesome!
    That reminds me. When I played the game, I was in the final dungeon and a Stone Giygas ran away from me in battle! I couldn't believe it. It wasn't a tiny and weak imp-like creature, it was a strong and giant Stone Giygas! It happened again when I encountered it a second time. I thought it was funny.

Someday, I'm going to replay the game and experiment more with customization. It was a lot of fun.

There was a period when I put my name into games like Zelda. Instead of enhancing the experience, it felt weird seeing my own name on screen. So I went back to naming him Link or Raisin if it's toon Link. Yes, Raisin.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Pumpkin Contrary (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

I've been increasing my magic, and I don't seem to need to use magic a certain amount of times per battle, it has a little meter next to it that fills every time I use it. Some do take longer than others. So far Shell and Protect are a poop to level up.

The PSP does have the CG cutscenes.

Articles
    Blog Entries

I find it funny that targeting multiple enemies with a single spell does less damage than targeting them one at a time. So far I'm doing the most damage with my hands ranging in the 40, 50, 60 range depending on who I'm hitting. I gave Maria the fire spell and Gus Cure.

Gus strength increased
    Gus intelligent decreased
    HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

Did anyone else think of Scotty_ffgamer when they met Prince Scott?