Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A Bravely Default Review

Articles

Default A Bravely Default Review

Now that the game has been released in all regions I've prepared a short summary of bravely default and what it brings to the table. Without further ado:

Bravely Default: Where the Fairy Flies

Bravely Default Flying Fairy is a spiritual successor to "Final Fantasy: The 4 Heroes of Light" published by Square Enix for the 3DS.The game was released in early December for Japanese and European audiences, and on February 7th for the American Audience.

Story and Characters

The game features four main characters you control from early in the game, Tiz, Agnès, Ringabell and Edea. Tiz is your first party member, a young farmer boy whose hometown Norende is swallowed by a large destructive force known as the Great Chasm. Awakening in the nearby town of Caldisla, Tiz discovers he is the sole survivor of the destruction of the Great Chasm. Tiz returns home to find that Nordene has vanished. It is here he meets Agnès.

Agnès is a shrine maiden from Ancheim, home of the Wind Crystal. She reveals that the Great Chasm's appearance was due to the four crystals of light losing their radiance. She has set out on a quest to restore the four crystals to their former glory. Tiz agrees to aid her in her quest to restore the crystals.

Shortly after, the two are ambushed by Eternian forces who oppose the restoration of the crystals. They return to Caldisla to find Eternian forces ravaging the town. They drive the Eternian forces back with the help of Ringabell, a young man who has lost his memory. All he has in his possession is a notebook called "D's Journal" which appears to document the future.

Following the advice of the D's Journal they storm an Eternian Fort and confront a member of the Eternian forces, Edea. Edea is opposed to the violent actions of the Eternian forces and aids the party in repelling them from Caldisla. The four then set on a journey to restore the four crystals of light back to their former radiance.

Combat Systems
    Bravely Default plays much like a standard turn based RPG. You input your commands at the beginning of the turn and try to hit the bad guys harder than they hit you. The battle system offers rewards based on performance. Depending on how the battle turns out, you can get increased gold, job points and experience. What Bravely Default brings to the table is the introductions of two new mechanics, Brave and Default.

Every member of the battle has a gauge that reflects the number of actions they can use in one turn. The Gauge starts at 1 meaning you can use 1 action that turn, however by activating brave you can increase this number to 4. This allows you to use a total of 4 actions in the one round per character. The drawback with this is that you are then unable to act again until the gauge returns to 1 - leaving you vulnerable to attacks for 4 turns.

This gauge can be increased in many ways, but is done so most commonly through defaulting. Default is the game's term for guarding. While guarding is good to cancel out an enemy attack, it also increases your action gauge by one point. This means if you Default for 3 turns you are then able to act 4 times without leaving yourself vulnerable. These two mechanics allows for new strategies to be implemented into the game and breathes new life into the guard function.

The battle system also offers the use of special moves which can be activated after a certain requirement is met. The requirements are based on the weapon you have equipped. Some requirements include the use of brave a certain number of times, while others require a number of critical hits to land. What is useful about these special attacks is they offer bonuses to the party for as long as that characters "Special attack music" is playing. These effects stack so long as the music is playing so Edea could use her special to increase the team defence, followed by Ringabell's special to increase the teams attack. Both bonuses would be in effect until the music from Ringabell's special runs out. This is especially handy when battling at 4x speed.

The Job System

One element that Bravely Default resurrects it the Job System. Each character has access to a total of 24 Jobs each with unique abilities. Jobs ranging from series favourites such as Black Mage and Monk to new entries like Spiritmaster and Pirate are unlocked over the course of the game. You find them by fighting strong bosses, unlocking the jobs associated to that boss, i.e. defeating the white mage unlocks the white mage ability for your character to use. Many of these are completely optional, but there is no reason not to get them all, as they all offer something useful.

Each job has 14 levels and each level offers either a new ability or support skill after each level up. Each character has a total of 5 support skill slots that you can equip skills to. The more useful the skill is, the more the it costs to equip. When you learn a skill, you can use it across classes, which can lead is where the game becomes really customisable. Each character can also assign a secondary set of abilities. There are some useful combinations of job skills, such as a tank knight with white magic abilities.

Street-Pass Functionality
    Street-Pass is used in an interesting way in Bravely Default. At one point in the game, Tiz is appointed to head the restoration of his destroyed hometown. Buildings in Norende are restored based on a real time countdown and by appointing friends met online or through street-pass the number of the workers in the village grows, cutting down the time it takes to restore the buildings.

Each building offers a unique function to the party, such as weapons and armour. They also offer speciality shops that improve the effects of special attacks. These additional effects can add elemental and status effects to the special attack, make it more damaging to a particular type of enemy and improve the efficiency of the bonus the special provides. The restoration of the village also offers items that cannot be found through regular gameplay.

People you find via street-pass as well as your friends contribute to the town restoration, but they can also come to your aid in battle for one time only. You set up your character to be sent to friends prior to an attack, and when data is received that attack is used on the receiving 3DS. This is very useful against tough bosses if you have a high powered character waiting for an attack.

General Thoughts

This game is amazing fun. The battle system is unique and offers a number of options when considering how to use your brave. I would often start battles using all my brave to ensure victory on the first turn and without taking damage to ensure bonuses. This does not work on tougher enemies as I found out the hard way. The environments are stunning for a 3DS title and the music is sublime. The special attack music is my favourite tracks in the entire OST.

All of the characters, including side character have story and have a purpose that is more than "we need a boss for this dungeon". My favourite part of Bravely Default is your main four characters. Their personalities bounce off one another in such as way that dialogue is very engaging and often humorous. Overall Bravely default provided me with 60 hours of enjoyable turn based combat and likeable characters.

Yeah, you should totes get this game
    Last edited by Dat Matt; 02-08-2014 at 10:49 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Shauna View Post
    Now that the game has been released in all regions I've prepared a short summary of bravely default and what it brings to the table. Without further adieu:
    The phrase is "without further ado".
    Ado: noun
    busy activity; bustle; fuss.

You're using the French word for "goodbye", which does not make sense in that usage.

But it was a fun review. Good job.
    My friend Delzethin is currently running a GoFundMe account to pay for some extended medical troubles he's had. He's had chronic issues and lifetime troubles that have really crippled his career opportunities, and he's trying to get enough funding to get back to a stable medical situation. If you like his content, please support his GoFundMe, or even just contribute to his Patreon.

He can really use a hand with this, and any support you can offer is appreciated.

Articles

Man I got shot down hard. Clearly not cut out for this review business.

Articles
    Blog Entries

You got me wanting to play a game that I can't play because I don't have the system for it yet.

CURSE YOU MISTER SHAUNA!

Well done.

FFXIV Character

Efes Ephesus (Adamantoise)

So is this a Final Fantasy game? I heard there are things called "Cait Sith" in it as well.
    I like Kung-Fu.

Articles
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by DMKA View Post
    So is this a Final Fantasy game? I heard there are things called "Cait Sith" in it as well.
    It's the spiritual successor to a Final Fantasy game while being its own thing. I believe Skyblade compared it to Chrono Trigger as a 'Final Fantasy in all but name' kind of thing.

Also, I am very pleased to note that there are apparently plenty of optional jobs. I was afraid that they would all be tied to the story.
    My friend Delzethin is currently running a GoFundMe account to pay for some extended medical troubles he's had. He's had chronic issues and lifetime troubles that have really crippled his career opportunities, and he's trying to get enough funding to get back to a stable medical situation. If you like his content, please support his GoFundMe, or even just contribute to his Patreon.

He can really use a hand with this, and any support you can offer is appreciated.

The Old Skool Warrior LocoColt04's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Crysanthe Mariveaux (Ultros)

Aye, in fact, not only are some of the jobs optional - they're ENTIRELY MISSABLE if you don't talk to everyone! I think that's nice though; a game which rewards its players for actually doing what a true RPG expects you to do.

Total Sweetheart
    Articles
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Skyblade View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Shauna View Post
    Now that the game has been released in all regions I've prepared a short summary of bravely default and what it brings to the table. Without further adieu:
    The phrase is "without further ado".
    Ado: noun
    busy activity; bustle; fuss.

You're using the French word for "goodbye", which does not make sense in that usage.

But it was a fun review. Good job.
    GoodGuyGreg.jpg

Articles

Quote Originally Posted by LocoColt04 View Post
    Aye, in fact, not only are some of the jobs optional - they're ENTIRELY MISSABLE if you don't talk to everyone! I think that's nice though; a game which rewards its players for actually doing what a true RPG expects you to do.
    I'm unsure what jobs you can miss, but a few early game jobs are tied to the story.

Quote Originally Posted by LocoColt04 View Post
    Aye, in fact, not only are some of the jobs optional - they're ENTIRELY MISSABLE if you don't talk to everyone!

Kind of lies ?

There is always a blue question mark, that appears on the world map when there is a optional job class available.

I disagree that they can be missable, since I was struggling to get the ninja class, came back after the beginning of the next chapter, and then came back when was a higher level.

Same with with Red Mage job, didn't face him till later since got warnings that he's tough.

Having cleared the wind shrine and finished off the first sub-scenario and unlocked the 4 job classes that come along with it, I get the impression Mr. Shauna is a lot more impressed with the characters then I was. Not saying they are bad or anything, just here to ground out some expectations.

You should still get this game. Seriously, it's awesome.

Articles

Tiz and Anges are pretty bland, the real charm comes from the interaction between Ringabell and Edea. Ringabell being a playboy and everyone constantly putting him down, especially Edea, is pretty hilarious.

Eh, that joke started getting old pretty fast. I think it would work better if it were spaced out like his jokes about his memory, which are funnier, more clever, and vastly more original.

Edea is good, but feels way to accepting and non-resistant to her surroundings. It feels like there should be more self conflict going on with her character, yet shows no signs of it at all.

Both good characters, mind you, just nothing spectacular. They are pleasant enough, and seem to fill their roles nicely. I find the intrigue behind Ringabell to be interesting as all hell though.

Good review, would like pictures. I like pictures.

"... and so I close, realizing that perhaps the ending has not yet been written."