Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Weird question

If I ever did anything like this I would probably get randomly stopped by the police on my way to do the deed.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Bubba View Post
    That's a pretty sick question, Ergroilnin. Just so we're clear, I mean sick in the 'diseased' way as opposed to the 'cool' way.

I've been wronged by many people, I know people who have done things that would warrant death when you consider the choices they've made. I could never consciously take someone's life. If anyone on here seriously thinks they could then I want nothing to do with them.
    Even if you knew that if theyre not killed they would kill many others?
    Could you live knowing YOU could have easily stopped those deaths but didnt?
    Kefka's coming, look intimidating!
    Have a nice day!!

...you hot, salty nut! Recognized Member fire_of_avalon's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

It would all depend upon whether this hypothetical person was just someone I wanted to kill or if it was someone who needed killing.

Some people need killing, that's all I'm saying.

Signature by rubah. I think.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by blackmage_nuke View Post
    That's a pretty sick question, Ergroilnin. Just so we're clear, I mean sick in the 'diseased' way as opposed to the 'cool' way.

I've been wronged by many people, I know people who have done things that would warrant death when you consider the choices they've made. I could never consciously take someone's life. If anyone on here seriously thinks they could then I want nothing to do with them.
    There is no way that you could possibly know that.

For all you know, killing this person could make him a martyr. Spawning more like him and killing thousands more.

All I'm saying is that taking another persons life... is not something I could ever do.

Blog Entries

For all you know, killing this person could make him a martyr. Spawning more like him and killing thousands more.
    The thread said no consequences. This is a conseqeunce
    Have a nice day!!

Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Sarangerel Qha (Twintania)
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Site Staff

im scared

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

The thread said no consequences. This is a conseqeunce
    If you regard a consequence as 'feeling guilty' then that is fair enough.

If everyone felt this way then we wouldn't have a problem.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Pumpkin Contrary (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

No. I don't not kill people I hate because I fear consequences, I don't kill people because I think it's wrong to kill people and I don't want to. I don't think I have the right to take anyone's life, and even if I did, I think it would be an awful thing to do.

Would sniff your fingers to be polite
    Nameleon.
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

ITT; ethical responses to semantic jokes.

Blog Entries

Like Quin said, the question pre-supposes that I want to kill the person. So, if I definitely wanted to kill them, and there were no repercussions, then I definitely would. To really explore the question I think you need to get rid of, or restate, the "want" part of it.

I don't think I'd ever be in a position where I, in every sense imaginable, would want to kill someone. I can't morally justify asserting my own existence and simultaneously deny someone else's. Even if I were to take a consequentialist view, in which killing one person will almost certainly benefit others, I think I would question that action for the rest of my life. Not knowing whether or not it was right would be a punishment on its own, at least in my mind.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by KentaRawr! View Post
    I don't think I'd ever be in a position where I, in every sense imaginable, would want to kill someone. I can't morally justify asserting my own existence and simultaneously deny someone else's. Even if I were to take a consequentialist view, in which killing one person will almost certainly benefit others, I think I would question that action for the rest of my life. Not knowing whether or not it was right would be a punishment on its own, at least in my mind.
    Excellently put.

But to sum up... you'd feel guilty.

Articles
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Shorty View Post
    God.

Think outside the box, nerds.
    Last time I thought outside the box Firefly got axed.

Blog Entries

Excellently put.

Yes, definitely. I think it's important to look at why one would be guilty, too. In my case, it's because I can't say with certainty that I'm worth keeping alive and the other person isn't. And if I'm killing the person for other people's benefit, I can't say whether or not it's worth subverting one person's right to life to meet that goal, regardless of the numbers involved.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Excellently put.

Yes, definitely. I think it's important to look at why one would be guilty, too. In my case, it's because I can't say with certainty that I'm worth keeping alive and the other person isn't. And if I'm killing the person for other people's benefit, I can't say whether or not it's worth subverting one person's right to life to meet that goal, regardless of the numbers involved.
    KentaRawr... you are definitely worth keeping alive. I've seen you post plenty of times and I regard you as a legend.

All I'm saying is that no-one can see the future. It's easy to say that killing someone (in hindsight) might save thousands of lives. It could equally have the opposite effect...lets say Hitler died in 1942... then Goering and Himmler formed a coalition and took over the whole of Europe. Now I'm speaking to you in German? We just don't know!
    Last edited by Bubba; 02-11-2014 at 05:02 AM.

Blog Entries

If you're the type of person to feel guilty after the fact what if you knew that after killing them you'd forget you did it and no one would even know it was you so you wouldnt have to deal with the consequence of guilt
    All I'm saying is that no-one can see the future. It's easy to say that killing someone (in hindsight) might save thousands of lives. It could equally have the opposite effect...lets say Hitler died in 1942... then Goering and Himmler formed a coalition and took over the whole of Europe. Now I'm speaking to you in German? We just don't know!
    again THAT is a consequence. You have been bestowed the knowledge of a five dimensional being that this will not happen. In this hypothetical you know something like this wont happen because there are NO consequences!

If it was my government that said there'd be no consequences obviously I wouldnt kill anyone (and not just because I dont trust my government), but no consequences AT ALL implies that God or the Time Vortex touched your mind and you know that if you kill this person only good will come of it.
    Last edited by blackmage_nuke; 02-11-2014 at 05:33 AM.
    Have a nice day!!