Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Pumpkin Contrary (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

Default 2DS

So 3DS's are expensive and 2DS's are less so and there are games I want for the 3DS. If I understand correctly, I can play 3DS games on the 2DS? Does this negatively effect the gaming quality or something? What are the disadvantages to buying the 2DS instead of the 3DS other than losing the 3D aspect, which I really didn't care about in the first place? Are there games that rely on the 3DS aspect that would be made less-so by purchasing the 2DS?

Sorry for all the questions, but it is a big investment, so I want to make sure of these things before we decide if we want to purchase one or not.

Recognized Member Scotty_ffgamer's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Scotty Ffgamer (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Aside from the 3D (which isn't essential for any game), the system also doesn't fold in half so you can fit it in your pocket like the original 3DS. If you don't care about the 3D and want to spend less money, the 2DS is probably worth getting. I've honestly never held and played a 2DS to know if it is less comfortable to hold or anything though.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Fynnek Zoryasch (Twintania)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

I heard it's actually surprisingly comfortable. But yeah, it doesn't fold and doesn't have 3D and that is pretty much the only thing that makes it different from the 3DS. The screens are smaller than those of the 3DS XL, but they're the same as with a regular 3DS. Considering money is the issue, I'm guessing the 3DS XL is out of the question anyway. While I would recommend the XL to anyone with enough money, the 2DS is a great alternative if you have less of it and don't care about the 3D.

I'd say, go for it! Get a 2DS, The system now has quite a large library of great games and whether you play them in 2D or 3D, they're really worth it. Just make sure you get a good protective case. I worry those screens might get scratched easily with no clamshell design.

tech spirit
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Mirage Askai (Sargatanas)

The 3D i can do without (because it sucks lol), but not being able to fold it is bad for me. Folding it easily protects the screens from damage and scratches, and makes it all smaller. That's important for me.

Also, I don't know about where you live, but where I live, the 3DS is just like 30 bucks more than the 2DS. Just save up your money for another week and get a 3DS, I'd say.
    Last edited by Mirage; 02-11-2014 at 10:11 AM.
    everything is wrapped in gray
    i'm focusing on your image
    can you hear me in the void?

Articles
    Blog Entries

There were a few segments in Mario 3D Land that used 3D for optical illusions, Escher-esque puzzles but they were few and far between. Safe to say few if any games require it for completion.

Just checked on Amazon and it is a lot cheaper than the plain 3DSes so if you want one I'd say go for it shion, it's a really wonderful platform.

Banished Ace Recognized Member Agent Proto's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

The 2DS is a 3DS, only renamed because of it lacks the ability to play 3D. I hear it's quite comfortable and fairly sturdy, so it's definitely worth getting if you want a cheap alternative to the 3DS. Unless you find a used 3DS that's fairly cheap, a 2DS should be a must-buy for those on the budget.

Apparently, I have been declared banished.

Not breaking faith today Shaibana's Avatar
    Blog Entries

i have a 2ds, pretty much for the same reasons.
    its cheaper and i cant really care much for the 3D.

the 2ds is comfi in the hands.

i first had doubts about the screen size (after seeing a 3ds-XL) but the screens are big enough

Feel the Bern Administrator Del Murder's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Administrator
    • Hosted the Ciddies

I wish there was a "mama bear" 3DS. Normal 3DS is too small and XL is too big. 2DS is a good size but it doesn't fold. The folding aspect is one of the best things about the DS hardware design.

Proud to be the Unofficial Secret Illegal Enforcer of Eyes on Final Fantasy!
    When I grow up, I want to go to Bovine Trump University! - Ralph Wiggum

Would sniff your fingers to be polite
    Nameleon.
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

I would own a handheld console if the 2DS was foldable for that very reason. It's supremely comfortable in my hands, whereas the 3DS and XL didn't sit right in my palms. But I'm just not willing to compromise on the folding front, Nintendo.

I love folding things.
    Last edited by Quindiana Jones; 02-11-2014 at 04:39 PM. Reason: Case in point: I unironically bought a flippy phone.

Quote Originally Posted by Mirage View Post
    The 3D i can do without (because it sucks lol), but not being able to fold it is bad for me. Folding it easily protects the screens from damage and scratches, and makes it all smaller. That's important for me.

Also, I don't know about where you live, but where I live, the 3DS is just like 30 bucks more than the 2DS. Just save up your money for another week and get a 3DS, I'd say.
    Fire Emblem Awakening, The Legend of Zelda: A Link Between Worlds, and Bravely Default. All three of those games look stunning in 3D. The 3D effect really works well. Whether it be cutscenes or gameplay, I adore the 3D for those titles. I can do without it, certainly, but it doesn't suck on every game.

And, yeah, the base model 3DS shouldn't be that much more expensive.
    My friend Delzethin is currently running a GoFundMe account to pay for some extended medical troubles he's had. He's had chronic issues and lifetime troubles that have really crippled his career opportunities, and he's trying to get enough funding to get back to a stable medical situation. If you like his content, please support his GoFundMe, or even just contribute to his Patreon.

He can really use a hand with this, and any support you can offer is appreciated.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

Well, $30 may not be much for you guys, but that can afford one of the games I want :P. We will check the budget and see how bad the extra $30 would be. The next few months are going to be pretty harsh, though, because this month is Valentine's Day and sharky's dad's birthday, next month is my and my son's birthday, and then in April we probably have a big road trip to plan and pay for.

I had saw that the price was a good bit more expensive than just an extra $30, but it could be I was noticing the bigger 3DS or something and was just mistaken. The not folding is probably the most concerning for me.

Quote Originally Posted by shion View Post
    Well, $30 may not be much for you guys, but that can afford one of the games I want :P. We will check the budget and see how bad the extra $30 would be. The next few months are going to be pretty harsh, though, because this month is Valentine's Day and sharky's dad's birthday, next month is my and my son's birthday, and then in April we probably have a big road trip to plan and pay for.

I had saw that the price was a good bit more expensive than just an extra $30, but it could be I was noticing the bigger 3DS or something and was just mistaken. The not folding is probably the most concerning for me.
    If you're worried about Valentine's Day, don't. The point of Valentine's Day is to have a romantic day with someone special. If you are doing it out of a sense of obligation, then you are doing it wrong. Don't feel that you have to get flowers, or take someone out for dinner, or anything else. Do something that makes you both comfortable and happy. If money is tight, don't spend a lot. You can still have a fantastic, romantic day.

The not folding is pretty huge. Also, I personally dislike the button placement (though I haven't actually tried it). After having a DS and 3DS for so long, having the buttons move up to be around the top screen seems weird.
    My friend Delzethin is currently running a GoFundMe account to pay for some extended medical troubles he's had. He's had chronic issues and lifetime troubles that have really crippled his career opportunities, and he's trying to get enough funding to get back to a stable medical situation. If you like his content, please support his GoFundMe, or even just contribute to his Patreon.

He can really use a hand with this, and any support you can offer is appreciated.

Not breaking faith today Shaibana's Avatar
    Blog Entries

i suggest you spend Valentines day with a big bucket of ice to share, and watching a (romantic) movie together :3

a great way to keep it (very) cheap, and it can still be very romantic

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

Can we not derail this in to talking about my Valentine's Day plans please x)