Thread: Critical Reviews

Feel the Bern Administrator Del Murder's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Administrator
    • Hosted the Ciddies

Have you ever played Dragon Age: Origins? I feel like that's how you do a quest system right. There was a lot of variety and interaction and you could make choices to affect the outcome. Very few of them felt similar.

Proud to be the Unofficial Secret Illegal Enforcer of Eyes on Final Fantasy!
    When I grow up, I want to go to Bovine Trump University! - Ralph Wiggum

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Loony Bob (Twintania)

I have, but you know, I just can't remember much about it. xD I can say that you are definitely able to fail certain quests in the game and I stupidly did so. Got a pretty guilty feeling when Lightning basically told me "Hey, guess what, you just failed to save that little girl's soul, you jerk" by saying it was all her fault that the person will never have her would saved and she was doomed and whatnot. Brutal.
    Bow before the mighty Javoo!

Quote Originally Posted by Loony BoB View Post
    I have, but you know, I just can't remember much about it. xD I can say that you are definitely able to fail certain quests in the game and I stupidly did so. Got a pretty guilty feeling when Lightning basically told me "Hey, guess what, you just failed to save that little girl's soul, you jerk" by saying it was all her fault that the person will never have her would saved and she was doomed and whatnot. Brutal.
    There are not many quests to fail and miss, however. The Luxerion doll quest is mean because you see two dolls and the wrong one is close to the quest girl.

*cough* And it's not like she really fails. *cough*

Articles
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Del Murder View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by ToriJ View Post
    Main complaints I've seen have to do with characters, story, failed attempts at comedy and the doomsday clock hindering exploration. Japan were less critical of it all around.
    Yeah, it seems to be a consensus that the story and characters fall completely flat, which is a disappointment but not a surprise. The biggest surprise I learned was that the quests are mostly your typical fetch quests and the stat boosts you get from them are static. In a game with only one character it would be nice to customize her stats more.
    The fetch quests don't surprise me. They've been going back and forth between MMOs for years.

Quote Originally Posted by Sephiroth View Post
    ... the doomsday clock hindering exploration.
    Those who rate it for this don't know how to handle it. The timelimit is close to non-existant with permanent Chronostasis, which is very easy to get because of the enemies and a variety of tactics.
    I'm guessing by easy you mean it requires some actual amount of skill to pull off. I've noticed more and more people over here are put off when a game expects you to carry your own weight.

Is it as much as a social media whore as the demo made it sound?

Easy means easy, so easy to be done and nothing that would make my answer useless like "an actual amount of skill". You go into a battle, win it (difficulty of both the monster and difficulty mode says how many EP you get) and activate your Chronostasis - which costs only 1 EP on Easy Mode. I guess battles in RPGs are something that can be expected to be done. Only hard mode requires some strict time management as battles give way too less EP but as said, for that there are EP recovery strategies. Normal mode is harder than Easy mode and still you can manage time very well on Normal, so it is pretty much as easy to handle as there are plenty of battles and also the tactics to do it in time.

I am surprised about the Lightning Returns critics and how good Final Fantasy X|X-2 will be in some eyes when some very present aspects like soulless eyes and weird lips (poor Yuna has it very often and many others also in Final Fantasy X-2) can be seen in the Remaster, which I have.
    Last edited by Sephiroth; 02-12-2014 at 11:47 PM.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Loony Bob (Twintania)

Chronostasis only costs 1 EP in normal mode, too, FYI. But the amount of EP you get per battle is lower. Despite this (and keep in mind a minute in the game is about two seconds in real life) I jumped into the game last night and it was at 8:33am. When I finished playing over two hours later, maybe one hour had passed in the game. It's that easy to stay on top of.

There was one moment where social media was mentioned, I selected 'no' and haven't heard a thing about it since. If you select 'yes' it might be different, not sure. I've switched it to 'yes' last night to see what it unlocked but then it asked me to put codes somewhere or something and I just couldn't be arsed, so I turned it off again. xD The only reason I'd do it is to find out the rewards you can get from it (probably gear) but I figure I'll just wait for guides to be set up for this kind of thing before I jump in.

tech spirit
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Mirage Askai (Sargatanas)

so is it too late to do the demo thing to get the extra costume?
    everything is wrapped in gray
    i'm focusing on your image
    can you hear me in the void?

Quote Originally Posted by Skyblade View Post

Majora's Mask isn't a time limit. You can go back and replay the three days as many times as you want, and when you do things becomes important because different things happen at different times of the cycle.

This. From memory, you can mess around with time with the flute-y thingy and go back and forth as much as you desire. It's been a while. I'M OLD AND GRUMPY OKAY ? GET OFF MY LAWN

meh, they could give this game a gold star and best game of since forever award, or the total opposite. Still wouldn't buy it.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Loony Bob (Twintania)

Quote Originally Posted by maybee View Post
    meh, they could give this game a gold star and best game of since forever award, or the total opposite. Still wouldn't buy it.
    If you're so against even trying this game, what's the point in posting in a forum dedicated to it (not meaning all of EoFF, but this specific forum)?

Articles
    Blog Entries

There was one moment where social media was mentioned, I selected 'no' and haven't heard a thing about it since. If you select 'yes' it might be different, not sure. I've switched it to 'yes' last night to see what it unlocked but then it asked me to put codes somewhere or something and I just couldn't be arsed, so I turned it off again. xD The only reason I'd do it is to find out the rewards you can get from it (probably gear) but I figure I'll just wait for guides to be set up for this kind of thing before I jump in.
    That's good to know. I would have had to drive up to Square and smack some people over the heads if that was a mandatory part you had to deal with the whole game.

Quote Originally Posted by maybee View Post
    If you're so against even trying this game, what's the point in posting in a forum dedicated to it (not meaning all of EoFF, but this specific forum)?

Opinions are opinions, even if they're are still negative. But you're right. I should avoid these parts of the forum 8D

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Loony Bob (Twintania)

I have no problem with negative opinions, it's just that normally they come from people who play the game first. xD 'sall good.

Not breaking faith today Shaibana's Avatar
    Blog Entries

most regular players are just not fair in theire judgment.

they either praise it to heaven, or they stomp on it
    if they dont like the game they will destroy in in their 'review'

just be honest :l just becaus u dont like the story doesnt mean that the serounding looks awefull (for example)

Time is a bit of a factor on Normal mode. I mean, if you started on Easy, I'm sure it's a breeze, but I felt that would have been TOO easy. I wanted to try it out on Normal first. I haven't gotten far enough to reach this "permanent Chronostasis" stuff yet, so we'll see how that is in this difficulty.

I have no problem with negative opinions, it's just that normally they come from people who play the game first. xD 'sall good.
    Negative opinions hurt the sales of the game because people will believe that it's trash if everybody keeps taking critics words for it. I'm not talking about people on Metacritic trolling with 0/10 votes. I mean legit critics that are giving the game a score from 5-7. Which are pretty bad ratings. But XIII and XIII-2 got good ratings from these same people. I believe that they're finally just giving in to pressure and giving the hate on this game, because people expect it. And maybe because the story is a little lackluster. But mostly because hating on XIII is so much fun for people.
    Last edited by Noctis Caelum; 02-13-2014 at 07:47 PM.

Feel the Bern Administrator Del Murder's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Administrator
    • Hosted the Ciddies

I think reviewers deserve a little more credit than they 'give in to the pressure' to hate FFXIII because it's 'fun'. They may have legitimate reasons for not liking this game, especially if a lot of people feel the same way. There are a couple of objective things that can tell you if a game is good or bad (such as precise controls or techical issues) but for the most part reviews are subjective and are the right opinion of that reviewer.

Proud to be the Unofficial Secret Illegal Enforcer of Eyes on Final Fantasy!
    When I grow up, I want to go to Bovine Trump University! - Ralph Wiggum