Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Critical Reviews

Articles
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Noctis Caelum View Post
    Negative opinions hurt the sales of the game because people will believe that it's trash if everybody keeps taking critics words for it. I'm not talking about people on Metacritic trolling with 0/10 votes. I mean legit critics that are giving the game a score from 5-7. Which are pretty bad ratings. But XIII and XIII-2 got good ratings from these same people. I believe that they're finally just giving in to pressure and giving the hate on this game, because people expect it. And maybe because the story is a little lackluster. But mostly because hating on XIII is so much fun for people.
    Or they legitimately think that Lightning Returns is poorer than its predecessors.

Eggstreme Wheelie Recognized Member Jiro's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Editor
    • Notable contributions to former community wiki

Time is a bit of a factor on Normal mode. I mean, if you started on Easy, I'm sure it's a breeze, but I felt that would have been TOO easy. I wanted to try it out on Normal first. I haven't gotten far enough to reach this "permanent Chronostasis" stuff yet, so we'll see how that is in this difficulty.

Quote Originally Posted by Loony BoB View Post
    I have no problem with negative opinions, it's just that normally they come from people who play the game first. xD 'sall good.
    Negative opinions hurt the sales of the game because people will believe that it's trash if everybody keeps taking critics words for it. I'm not talking about people on Metacritic trolling with 0/10 votes. I mean legit critics that are giving the game a score from 5-7. Which are pretty bad ratings. But XIII and XIII-2 got good ratings from these same people. I believe that they're finally just giving in to pressure and giving the hate on this game, because people expect it. And maybe because the story is a little lackluster. But mostly because hating on XIII is so much fun for people.
    In what world is 7/10 bad? That's a solid rating. Not amazing, but still enjoyable, usually. If the characters and plot are as shaky as people have mentioned, then 7/10 sounds like a pretty accurate rating.

Another point. I will use the words of Jim Sterling to help me here. "It remains utterly, completely, intellectually insulting to me that we’re in an industry that has decided 9/10 is the manifest destiny of certain games. Based on marketing, name value, and sequel number, there are certain games now pre-ordained to receive near-perfect scores and nothing but the most glowing of praise."

Reviews are subjective things by definition and by nature. If you want objectivity, then you have to determine what elements are most important to every player. You have to decide which genre is the best, because otherwise how do you score a FPS when compared to Lightning Returns? Hybrid games are asking for failure.

Lightning Returns needs to both stand on its own merits and be a strong entry in a mini franchise and a larger one. Did it do that? Seemingly not. People throwing around 0/10 and 10/10 based on feelings toward the Final Fantasy series are useless and distort the ratings. But I find it personally offensive when people claim that critics and their opinions are wrong. What gives you supreme knowledge and credibility? Yes, review scores have an impact on sales, but if you want good sales how about making a smurfing good game?

They see me rolling. They hating, patrolling.
    Trying to catch me riding dirty.

Using the same view of the world Jim Sterling used, there will be games that are always predestined to receive lower scores. When the high scores are shelled out regardless of quality, then reviews cannot be trusted to accurately judge quality.

Eggstreme Wheelie Recognized Member Jiro's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Editor
    • Notable contributions to former community wiki

Using a purely numerical system to determine whether or not a game is "good" is a heavily flawed process in itself, but people complaining about 7/10 being bad put pressure on reviewers. I won't even go into the matter of death threats and sackings over scores and comments. Reviewers work in a symbiotic relationship with the games industry and with gamers themselves -- there is a sickness born of all three that affects the shambles that is numerical scoring systems.

They see me rolling. They hating, patrolling.
    Trying to catch me riding dirty.

tech spirit
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Mirage Askai (Sargatanas)

Quote Originally Posted by Jiro View Post
    Time is a bit of a factor on Normal mode. I mean, if you started on Easy, I'm sure it's a breeze, but I felt that would have been TOO easy. I wanted to try it out on Normal first. I haven't gotten far enough to reach this "permanent Chronostasis" stuff yet, so we'll see how that is in this difficulty.

Quote Originally Posted by Loony BoB View Post
    I have no problem with negative opinions, it's just that normally they come from people who play the game first. xD 'sall good.
    In what world is 7/10 bad? That's a solid rating. Not amazing, but still enjoyable, usually. If the characters and plot are as shaky as people have mentioned, then 7/10 sounds like a pretty accurate rating.

Another point. I will use the words of Jim Sterling to help me here. "It remains utterly, completely, intellectually insulting to me that we’re in an industry that has decided 9/10 is the manifest destiny of certain games. Based on marketing, name value, and sequel number, there are certain games now pre-ordained to receive near-perfect scores and nothing but the most glowing of praise."

Reviews are subjective things by definition and by nature. If you want objectivity, then you have to determine what elements are most important to every player. You have to decide which genre is the best, because otherwise how do you score a FPS when compared to Lightning Returns? Hybrid games are asking for failure.

Lightning Returns needs to both stand on its own merits and be a strong entry in a mini franchise and a larger one. Did it do that? Seemingly not. People throwing around 0/10 and 10/10 based on feelings toward the Final Fantasy series are useless and distort the ratings. But I find it personally offensive when people claim that critics and their opinions are wrong. What gives you supreme knowledge and credibility? Yes, review scores have an impact on sales, but if you want good sales how about making a smurfing good game?
    I guess you haven't noticed that whole score inflation thing that's been happening over the past decade. In the world of today, 6 is the worst game ever imaginable, and 7 is slightly above that. Scores 1-5 are used only by angry people who want to pull a decent score closer to 6 more easily.
    everything is wrapped in gray
    i'm focusing on your image
    can you hear me in the void?

Articles
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Mirage View Post
    In the world of today, 6 is the worst game ever imaginable
    There are so many angry Devil May Cry fans right now...