Thread: Good sub classes...

Default Good sub classes...

What are some good sub classes for Gladiator? I am currently leveled up to level 30 for Gladiator, and think its time to start leveling up a new class now. Any help would be appreciated?

Local Florist Site Contributor
    Recognized Member
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Mayrissa Fablestay (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Former Developer
    • Former Editor

You need to get Conjurer to 15 to be able to unlock Paladin.

Also leveling Marauder to around level 10 will give you a couple of nice tanking abilities.

I use Bloodbath (Marauder), Foresight (Marauder), Fracture (Marauder), Stoneskin (Conjurer), Resurrection (Conjurer)

Some people argue for leveling Marauder high enough to get Mercy Stroke, but I honestly haven't found Mercy Stroke to be that useful.

i n v i s i b l e Tech Admin o_O's Avatar
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Humphrey Squibbles (Sargatanas)

When you get your job crystal to unlock Paladin, you'll only be able to cross-class skills from Marauder and Conjurer.

I use Cure, Protect and Stoneskin from Conjurer, and Foresight and Bloodbath from Marauder.

There's an argument to be made for using DPS cross-class skills, but in my opinion, the job of the tank is to use their entire arsenal to protect the team in a fight. Sometimes that extra 300HP from a paltry tank heal can mean the DPS have enough in their reserves to get the final few casts off and finish a boss. Similarly, if a healer is too preoccupied to protect people after a raise (e.g. in titan), whacking a protect out can be a huge help and take that little bit off of the healer's plate. Stoneskin is great when your melee DPS are taking damage; you can give them an extra 10% EHP with each cast.

Easily the most useful skill is Foresight, and I'd say Bloodbath and Stoneskin are second equal.

Default Thanks.

OK, thanks for the replies guys. So, how does the whole end game thing work? Do you need to be level 50 to be able to complete the game. Does Realm Reborn actually have an ending(s)?

Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Sarangerel Qha (Twintania)
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Site Staff

Yes, for the last encounter you'll need to be lvl 50. Also there will be a lot of other cool dungeons and sidequests and stuff that you can unlock at level fifty so you can upgrade your gear level

i n v i s i b l e Tech Admin o_O's Avatar
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Humphrey Squibbles (Sargatanas)

There's a lot of stuff to do after you hit endgame, some of it nice and casual and other stuff which is fiendishly difficult. Next month we'll be seeing patch 2.2 as well, which will be introducing even more content.

The game does have an "ending," though it's really just a big cadence in the game where they decided to put some credits. The storyline will continue after you've completed the "final" quest, and a whole lot of extra stuff will be unlockable. Much of the endgame content centres around acquiring and improving your gear, while there's a really good challenge on the way there. Things like Coil, hard/extreme mode primals and the harder dungeons will definitely keep you occupied for some time, while you work through the content. A vast majority of the people in the game haven't beaten coil yet, for example.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Loony Bob (Twintania)

Quote Originally Posted by o_O View Post
    When you get your job crystal to unlock Paladin, you'll only be able to cross-class skills from Marauder and Conjurer.

I use Cure, Protect and Stoneskin from Conjurer, and Foresight and Bloodbath from Marauder.

There's an argument to be made for using DPS cross-class skills, but in my opinion, the job of the tank is to use their entire arsenal to protect the team in a fight. Sometimes that extra 300HP from a paltry tank heal can mean the DPS have enough in their reserves to get the final few casts off and finish a boss. Similarly, if a healer is too preoccupied to protect people after a raise (e.g. in titan), whacking a protect out can be a huge help and take that little bit off of the healer's plate. Stoneskin is great when your melee DPS are taking damage; you can give them an extra 10% EHP with each cast.

Easily the most useful skill is Foresight, and I'd say Bloodbath and Stoneskin are second equal.
    I'll echo all that, but I'll add that I prefer Mercy Stroke to any Conjurer skill. Unlike all the Conjurer skills, Mercy Stroke is off the global cool down so it won't interrupt anything. It's a hefty enough attack to be helpful and when fighting trash mobs it's great for getting a lot of HP back if you time it right. Against primals, you can generally use it 2-3 times per primal and as offtank it's useful against adds / HP boosts, too.

I can see the argument for either side, though. Personally I find myself focusing nearly 100% on gaining hate when it comes to skills on the global cooldown because there's always some punk healer/DPS who insists on pushing my hate to the limit. xD
    Bow before the mighty Javoo!