Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: No FFXII HD planned...

Quote Originally Posted by Sephiroth View Post
    No trophies for Yiazmat, Omega Mark XII, Zodiac Spear, Tournesol, Toro's Sword, all Genji equipment from Gilgamesh, Deus Dragon, Red Chocobo Level 99, Complete Bestiary, Complete Pirates' Den, all Mobs, all Espers ...

Thank god. Once is enough. But I guess it will be released some day.
    That's what the Sky Pirate's Den is for.

Quote Originally Posted by Vivi22 View Post
    That's a shame. It's the only FF that I think I actually want to see in HD. It always looked great with upscaling on my original PS3. Shame that FFXIII killed it on me.
    I'd much rather see Final Fantasy IX. The game that got absolutely hosed by the graphical limitations of the Playstation.

Quote Originally Posted by Bolivar View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by ToriJ View Post
    This doesn't surprise me, quite frankly. I know you all love XII, but I don't think the majority out there share the same feelings as you all so I can't see the overall demand being as great as it was in the case of X. Then again, I could be completely wrong about that.
    No, you're spot on with this one, Tori. Unfortunately, a lot of it had to do with the hype of FFX riding the early-cycle hype for the PlayStation 2 whereas FFXII launched at the end, when people were more excited for a new console generation. God of War II and Shadow of the Colossus are two masterpieces that also have big cult followings like FFXII, but will be unfairly underrated in the grand scheme of things (low placement in top 100 lists and the like). XII was also incredibly divisive because of how it departed so much from the Final Fantasy formula, with many of these departures being too far ahead of their time to be appreciated in 2006.

FFXII solved a lot of the problems Japanese and Western RPGs struggled with in the following generation.

I've tried this tactic with SE before, it does not work.
    What can I say, I'm a hopeless optimist, Rostum
    What problems did FFXII solve? It had boring and outright broken combat, a world that was so immense that it ruined the pacing of the story, the least important character as it's lead, writing that fell apart due to the shifts in staff while making the game, an over-reliance on hunts to the point that they overshadowed the better written and typically much more enjoyable sidequests, and a complete lack of variety in tone and mood for the entire game.
    My friend Delzethin is currently running a GoFundMe account to pay for some extended medical troubles he's had. He's had chronic issues and lifetime troubles that have really crippled his career opportunities, and he's trying to get enough funding to get back to a stable medical situation. If you like his content, please support his GoFundMe, or even just contribute to his Patreon.

He can really use a hand with this, and any support you can offer is appreciated.

All I want is an HD remake of Sabin Suplexing the Phantom Train. Doesn't even need to be the whole game, just that scene.

Local Florist Site Contributor
    Recognized Member
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Mayrissa Fablestay (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Former Developer
    • Former Editor

Quote Originally Posted by Skyblade View Post
    I'd much rather see Final Fantasy IX. The game that got absolutely hosed by the graphical limitations of the Playstation.
    I swear the NTSC regions must've got a very bad version of FFIX for all the whining on EoFF about it being hindered by graphical limitations.

I played the PAL version here in EU and it was fine. I even dusted off my PSone a few months ago when I first saw those complaints on EoFF, and it's still fine.

Articles
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Aulayna View Post
    I swear the NTSC regions must've got a very bad version of FFIX for all the whining on EoFF about it being hindered by graphical limitations.

I played the PAL version here in EU and it was fine. I even dusted off my PSone a few months ago when I first saw those complaints on EoFF, and it's still fine.
    I don't think it's a common complaint outside of here, to be frank. I never heard of the complaint until coming here. I always thought it looked just fine when I played it. If it looks bad to me now it's only because I've been playing a bunch of newer stuff.

Did you ever check out this thread? It shows just how good the game could have looked if it wasn't on the original Playstation.

And that's just the backgrounds. The character models also look pixelated beyond belief.
    My friend Delzethin is currently running a GoFundMe account to pay for some extended medical troubles he's had. He's had chronic issues and lifetime troubles that have really crippled his career opportunities, and he's trying to get enough funding to get back to a stable medical situation. If you like his content, please support his GoFundMe, or even just contribute to his Patreon.

He can really use a hand with this, and any support you can offer is appreciated.

tech spirit
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Mirage Askai (Sargatanas)

European version of FF9 is what I played. It looks exactly the same as the US version, and it doesn't look too stellar. The backgrounds look "fine" and so do the CG videos, but even the backgrounds suffer from too-many-details-on-too-low-resolution-syndrome, and the 3D models and battle effects even more so. In short, the game makes the PS1 chew off more than the PS1 actually could swallow, and the result is muddly graphics and poor loading times. FF8 had a lower amount of detail in the character textures, models and backgrounds, but in my opinion still ended up lookin better because it was more in line with what was suitable for the resolution the game ran in. Additionally, in-battle load times were a lot shorter in FF8, and the effects still looked pretty cool.

It might also have the very typical and terrible framerate slowdown caused by NTSC-PAL framerate conversions, but I honestly do not remember. I am certain that FFX had that, though.
    everything is wrapped in gray
    i'm focusing on your image
    can you hear me in the void?

Local Florist Site Contributor
    Recognized Member
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Mayrissa Fablestay (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Former Developer
    • Former Editor

I must've played a completely different game then as I never had any issues with load time problems or anything and the pixellation was not bad enough to take away from the immersion. Pretty much all pre-rendered backdrops suffered from resolution drops, this was far more noticeable in things like Resident Evil.

Sure it doesn't look great in retrospect, but in hindsight very few PSone games look great. I was watching Marshall Banana's stream of FFVIII and wondered how I ever thought that it looked good, with battle background skybox effects that don't even fill the entire screen etc. Honestly I'd say, aside from the menu overlay in battles, that IX has aged the best out of the 3 PSone installments.

I honestly doubt that it being on the PS2 instead of the PSone, would've made any difference to it's actual gameplay.

I must've played a completely different game then as I never had any issues with load time problems or anything and the pixellation was not bad enough to take away from the immersion. Pretty much all pre-rendered backdrops suffered from resolution drops, this was far more noticeable in things like Resident Evil.

Sure it doesn't look great in retrospect, but in hindsight very few PSone games look great. I was watching Marshall Banana's stream of FFVIII and wondered how I ever thought that it looked good, with battle background skybox effects that don't even fill the entire screen etc. Honestly I'd say, aside from the menu overlay in battles, that IX has aged the best out of the 3 PSone installments.

I honestly doubt that it being on the PS2 instead of the PSone, would've made any difference to it's actual gameplay.
    Gameplay? Maybe not, except it might fix the Speed bug.

Visually? It would have looked so much better. It did push the PSX too far, and looks inferior to both VII and VIII because of that.

programmed by NASIR Recognized Member black orb's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Banner Design
    • Logo Design

>>> They will make it. SE is like North Korea (they just like to act tough)..
    >> The black orb glitters ominously... but nothing happens..