Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Best Handheld RPGs for PSP or DS

Default Best Handheld RPGs for PSP or DS

So, I am going on a work trip for 2 weeks and am looking to fill up my backlog with some new games to play on the flights as well as the hotel room on week nights.

As I haven't been into handhelds as much recently, I only have a DS as well as a hacked PSP.

Anyone have some recommendations I could pick up in the next few days before I leave on my trip that I will enjoy?

Here is a sample of the library I have for both of them to get an idea of what I like:

PSP - Crisis Core, Tactics Ogre, FFT: War of the Lions, FF4 Complete Collection, Dissida: Duodecim

-------------------

DS- Lufia (The remake), Chrono Trigger, Radiant Historia

I have heard good things about The Legend of Heroes: Trails in the Sky for PSP and am thinking I will download that, but haven't made any decisions.

Any suggestions you guys can throw out would be great. Thanks!

"Did I become a hero?"

Project: N00b

Every Etrian Odyssey game.

FFXIV Character

Sealth Greenwood (Sargatanas)

You can run FFIV on a hacked PSP? I'm curious as to how you did that as it forced a firmware update on my system.

Pick up Etrian Odyssey or any of the Dragon Quest games for DS. Any Fire Emblem game that isn't Shadow Dragon would be a good choice too. Just be prepared to do a bit of grinding here and there. There's a pretty decent port of Tales of Phantasia for GBA too for another solid choice. Star Ocean 2 and Valkyrie Profile for PSP.

Articles
    Blog Entries

I would look at some of the remakes since the PSP and DS have the definitive versions of so many of them. The Dragon Quest Zenithian trilogy is fantastic, with DQV being the best in my opinion (and one of the best RPGS I ever played). If you're into emulation on your PSP, the fanslation is very playable and has aged pretty well. Pokemon Heart Gold is great as well and I actually enjoyed it more than its sequels which were originally designed and released on the DS.

For newer games, Valkyria Chronicles II is one of my favorites on PSP. You don't have to play the first to enjoy it and the gameplay is a fresh evolution of SRPG genre. It did a great job in bringing the series to the portable format, with plenty of bite sized missions and story sequences for quick sessions. But you can get sucked in for a few hours at a time too.

Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Sarangerel Qha (Twintania)
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Site Staff

Persona 3 Portable is my favorite portable RPG ever. Great story, 75+ hours of gameplay easily. Phantasy Star Portable and the sequel are also really fun if you can overlook a cheesy plot for fun gameplay.

Classic Game Room - PHANTASY STAR PORTABLE 2 for PSP review - YouTube

I want to play Phantasy Star Portable again.

EDIT:

Oh I forgot to mention. You can play the online with others in Phantasy Star Portable 2 on a rigged PSP. I forget how but I was able to do it with a bit of tweaking as long as I didn't host.

Persona 3 Portable - It's Persona 3, with better writing for the new Female main character.

Golden Sun: Dark Dawn - Not as good as Golden Sun or Golden Sun: The Lost Age, but still a solid little game.

Pokémon Platinum - Best Pokémon game. Possibly beaten out by X and Y, but this thing blows the new ones away in terms of story and characterization.

Rune Factory 3 - The best of the Rune Factory series so far. It's Harvest Moon, with combat and a plot. Awesome, awesome game. I have put in hundreds of hours, and still have more left to do. One of the most underrated titles for the DS.

The World Ends With You - I hate the gameplay, but I love the story and world. Solid little game.

Final Fantasy Tactics A2: Grimoire of the Rift - Main story is lackluster, but the rest of the game makes up for it.
    My friend Delzethin is currently running a GoFundMe account to pay for some extended medical troubles he's had. He's had chronic issues and lifetime troubles that have really crippled his career opportunities, and he's trying to get enough funding to get back to a stable medical situation. If you like his content, please support his GoFundMe, or even just contribute to his Patreon.

He can really use a hand with this, and any support you can offer is appreciated.

Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Sarangerel Qha (Twintania)
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Site Staff

Ooooh yeah I second The World Ends With You. I've never put so many hours into a portable game.

GONNA ROKKEN YOUR WORLD WildRaubtier's Avatar

TWEWY is easily the best game by far that's been mentioned.

Super Robot Taisen SAGA: Endless Frontier is -super- fun.

Quote Originally Posted by Jowy View Post
    You can run FFIV on a hacked PSP? I'm curious as to how you did that as it forced a firmware update on my system.

Pick up Etrian Odyssey or any of the Dragon Quest games for DS. Any Fire Emblem game that isn't Shadow Dragon would be a good choice too. Just be prepared to do a bit of grinding here and there. There's a pretty decent port of Tales of Phantasia for GBA too for another solid choice. Star Ocean 2 and Valkyrie Profile for PSP.
    Yeah, mine still works just fine. Not entirely sure why. Thanks for the suggestions too, now the problem is finding these games around me locally, hah.

"Did I become a hero?"

Project: N00b

tech spirit
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Mirage Askai (Sargatanas)

There's star ocean 1 and 2 for PSP. You can also get Persona 2 Innocent Sin.

FF4 worked perfectly fine on my modded PSP as well.
    everything is wrapped in gray
    i'm focusing on your image
    can you hear me in the void?

FFXIV Character

Caedus Ulvein (Sargatanas)

Disagea for the PSP/Vita. The DS remake was pretty horrid. Also, seconding Etrian Odyssey.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Editor

I thought Dissidia was a fighting game.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by WildRaubtier View Post
    TWEWY is easily the best game by far that's been mentioned.

Super Robot Taisen SAGA: Endless Frontier is -super- fun.
    This. These two are my two favourite DS titles, TWEWY taking the first place and Endless Frontier coming in second. After that, I'd probably say the Ace Attorney games.

As for PSP... Dangan Ronpa, the Persona games, Mana Khemia and Ys Seven are all very solid.

Dangan Ronpa is very plot/dialouge-heavy, while Ys Seven is all about the gameplay.

I'll just list the best game on each console.

DS: Devil Survivor 2
    PSP: Persona 3 Portable

Although, FES is the definitive version of Persona 3. So if you've already completed FES, you might want to go with something else.

tech spirit
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Mirage Askai (Sargatanas)

FES is still imperfect. If it had included girl mode, I'd agree. Aigis doesn't count as girl mode.
    everything is wrapped in gray
    i'm focusing on your image
    can you hear me in the void?