Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567

Thread: Twitch Plays Pokemon

Articles

So conversation here died, but they finished Pokemon Crystal 8 days ago, had a week break and have started on Pokemon Emerald as of Yesterday. Here's what you missed

Lore of Pokemon Crystal

The Protagonist AJ, is beset by voices that control his actions. He travels across lands without rest, trying to find relief from the voices that engulf him. He travels across the land to find the one the escaped the voices, Red. He aims to escape the torment by defeating Red, and being free from the voices once and for all.

Lazorgator (Feraligator) takes the role of guardian following the death of the Admiral (Sentret) and is charged with raising the young Pokemon (like Togepi). Togepi is shot down in battle, so challenges challenges the gods that would not prevent the death of a child (Lord Helix).

Brian (Pigeot) and Burrito (Espeon) are faced with living in the shadows of the previous game's lore. Brian needs to face the fact that he resembles the messiah (Bird Jesus) and Burrito needs to come to terms with the fact Flareon was know as the false prophet who was working with those who called for democracy and order.

Katie (Dragonite) is the princess of all dragons. The race of dragons is disgraed following their loss from Reds Venomoth, she strives to restore glory to proud dragon race, and become the mother of dragons.

Ace (Raticate) once belonged to joey. Seeing the struggle AJ faced. Joey instructed his top percentile Ratata to follow AJ and aid him in his struggle. He feels left being the weakest of the group, but he can do enough to team out.

Solid Snake (Steelix) is an unlikely companion of the group. At first he mocked the ragtag team in the quests to kill the gods that cursed them with the fate, but he was convinced to join them in their fruitless struggle.

Main theme of the crystal run is that the lore of Gen 1 was always getting in the way of new stories for Gen 2. Lazorgator was hated by everyone as he was too powerful compared to the rest of the team, and people tired to re-hash old lore from the previous run. This in itself became the lore of this run. Lazorgator became the gaurdian of the group and the rest of the team fought to prove themselves. Living in the shadows of the gods, the team became God Slayers using the motto "No Gods, No Kings, Only Mon".

Reaching the end of Mt Silver, AJ and the godslayers had the opportunity had the chance to fight RED and free himself from the voices. A final bought with Red and the team of Gods and Kinds from the Gen 1 lead to victory, and AJ was released from the curse of the voices as RED was before him.

Current Lore of Day 1 for Gen 3 "A" is the may of our female protagonist. Rather than fight against the voices as AJ and Red did, she embraces them. She strives for Anarchy and is mirrored with V from V for vendetta. She is also dubbed a murderer as (may be wrong here) the stream had to be reset several times in the early stages. This lost the progress of previous trainers until a female was chosen. Because of this she stands upon a pile of the dead before her.

Not breaking faith today Shaibana's Avatar
    Blog Entries

yeah.. this is over..
    it was hilarious the first playthrough, but i guess we are done now

Articles

FFXIV Character

Althalor Lightpike (Excalibur)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Social Media Manager

I watched the Pokemon Crystal stream on and off but I've kind of lost interest by this point I kinda wish they hadn't restarted over and over to get a girl; I popped in long enough to see them get a guy who was simply named "T" and everyone started calling him Mr. T and it was fantastic. RIP Mr. T

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Hosted the Ciddies

I think that they should've waited a month or so between each stream for a cool-down period. Maybe longer.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fynn View Post
    Jinx you are absolutely smurfing insane. Never change.

Articles

The stream itself is super boring, what I find amazing about the Series is what lore that comes from it. Specifically from the sub reddit for the stream at Twitch Plays Pokémon .

I followed both Twitch plays Red and Twitch plays Crystal. Everyone followed Twitch Plays Red, because it was a new experience that we hand't seen before. There wasn't much of a cool down between Red and Crystal which was a bad move, so the hype around "Twitch plays" subsided. What was left were people who were generally interested in the stream, and those who followed the associated mediums for the artwork and lore like myself.

To me, twitch plays Pokemon is all about the Artwork and stories that come from the events in game. In that regard, Twitch plays Crystal was FAR better than Twtich plays Red. The entire story behind Twitch plays Crystal was that Twitch plays Red had a massive following that halved as soon as game ended, and that the characters that appeared in Crystal had to live in the shadow of the first stream. For example, their Eevee and Pidgey already had a story from the first playthrough, so were not new. That forced them to create new personas, which they did and they excelled at it.

Twtich plays is not dead. There was a week break between Gen 2 and 3 which I think was sufficient. I'm very excited to see what's coming up in this generation.

Eggstreme Wheelie Recognized Member Jiro's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Editor
    • Notable contributions to former community wiki

Yeah, the stream doesn't interest me so much as the stuff that comes out of it. People as a collective are very interesting.

They see me rolling. They hating, patrolling.
    Trying to catch me riding dirty.

Would sniff your fingers to be polite
    Nameleon.
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

DanRezler pointed out something wonderful about the Twitch Plays Pokemon thing, and that was that even in absolute chaos, humanity trends towards progress.

Jolly nice thought, that. Also, PCs are evil.