Recognized Member Scotty_ffgamer's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Scotty Ffgamer (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Default EoFF Plays LR:FFXIII - Ending Discussion

Now that I've beaten the game, I feel like this would be a good thread. Stealing this format from BoB. Post about your thoughts on the ending and your final impressions of the game in this thread.

##SPOILER WARNING##
    This thread contains unmarked spoilers regarding the whole storyline, particularly the ending. Read at your own risk!

As I have already stated, I think it is the best of all Final Fantasy endings.

Finally living in peace is the best thing possible. It would have been cooler as it was first intended with all of he heroes talking with Light but Light looks for them anyway. The best thing to end it would have been Serah and Snow's wedding with all of them together.

Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Luna Devika (Sargatanas)

i just beat the game for the first time and I'm still in a sort of shock. It's rare that game endings make me cry but I was crying so hard during this one. I agree with Sephiroth on the ending with snow and serah's wedding, but instead of that this was a good one. just wow.

So this is love and See you space cowboy were made for me.

Quote Originally Posted by radicaledward124 View Post
    i just beat the game for the first time and I'm still in a sort of shock. It's rare that game endings make me cry but I was crying so hard during this one. I agree with Sephiroth on the ending with snow and serah's wedding, but instead of that this was a good one. just wow.
    I'm sorry, "instead of that this was a good one" somehow sounds like Snow and Serah's wedding would not have been (that) good for you? As you agree with me, who thought it would have been the best option, I guess you did not mean it in a bad way. I think both is okay. She will find them anyway. As she says, her journey is over and she does not know when her next begins but soon she will meet them. If the first intention of all of them being heard or Lightning saying she will find them is used, makes no difference here. Really the only thing I would have wanted instead was my "wedding" ending as the best one, this one is fine however. A Happy Ending and still the best ending in all Final Fantasys for me. The Final Fantasy Theme and the Prelude would have made it even better.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Loony Bob (Twintania)

The final (post-"The End") cinematic was possibly the best quality of graphics I'd seen by Square-Enix, which is saying something. Damned gorgeous, I actually had a double-take to check that it wasn't real (aside from Lightning).

The ending was alright. I would have loved seeing Snow + Serah get married in it, though, yeah. It seems like that would have been the perfect send-off for the series. SE are very hit and miss on endings and I felt this had a bit of both.

Mostly I'm just glad it ended, though. xD And I mean that in a positive way. It's like getting to the end of a very long book.

Now I just have to read through the appendices (New Game Plus xD).
    Bow before the mighty Javoo!

Recognized Member Scotty_ffgamer's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Scotty Ffgamer (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

I'll probably take a long break before I go back for New Game Plus. The ending was gorgeous, though something looked off with Lightning in the Epilogue scenes. It might just be that I wasn't used to seeing her in normal clothes, but still something looked very off and it bothered me.

The ending was gorgeous to look at, but it was pretty hit and miss for me. I would have loved to see everyone together at the very end for Snow and Serah's wedding. Then again, it can be nice having an open ending like this. We can easily say that everything is pretty happy by the end of the game, and we can kind of write the future events in our own heads. Of course I'm cynical and in my mind, Sazh is now separated from Dajh and they are looking for each other in the new world. They never seem to stick together for long, haha.

I do kind of like the idea of the past three games sort of becoming a creation myth for Earth. Regardless of how it was handled in the game, the actual mythology that exists in the background throughout the series is something I find pretty interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by Scotty_ffgamer View Post
    It might just be that I wasn't used to seeing her in normal clothes, but still something looked very off and it bothered me.
    Yes, they focussed very much on making her happy, normal and gorgeous looking so even her face when she says, she will meet the others looks somehow different, first not really from the sight but when the camera shows her face from the front. When I think about Sephiroth in Advent Children, he has like 1000 faces because some character are just hard to make with a certain intention.

I would first like to state that I enjoy that the title of the game has never been more appropriate. First, "Final Fantasy". The scene after the end credits with Claire on a train indicates that they're on Earth now with no magic in the world at all. So it was in ways their Final Fantasy.

Secondly, and this one is going to be more overlooked, is the cunning choice of the "Lightning Returns" title. Yes, I know, Lightning is back in a game. No, besides that, she actually returns to the person she was, with feelings. Because of Lumina. To me, that was a very good way to end things. And because people automatically dismissed Lumina as Chaos Serah, it was a surprise to learn that it wasn't Serah, but Lighty.

I still don't know if I enjoyed the ending that much though. It just felt like a convenient "press the button to destroy the universe in a tidy fashion". It almost makes me feel like the journey through the trilogy means nothing, because of that ending. Although it's not that drastic for me, it's still nonetheless anticlimatic.

I can't say that I cried, although I did cry a few times during the story. I was just so confused initially at what I was witnessing to experience such feelings.

Quote Originally Posted by Noctis Caelum View Post
    It almost makes me feel like the journey through the trilogy means nothing, because of that ending. Although it's not that drastic for me, it's still nonetheless anticlimatic.
    Its not like it was retconned, which was logically impossible anyway, it just ended for a new story.

Also, Lightning did not really return to how she was, she just completed herself again. Pretty much like Sora and Roxas. Lumina was just the part she needed to push away to become "Lightning" for Serah at her mother's grave and manifested as an own person. But maybe you meant that anyway.
    Last edited by Sephiroth; 02-23-2014 at 06:33 PM.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Loony Bob (Twintania)

Secondly, and this one is going to be more overlooked, is the cunning choice of the "Lightning Returns" title. Yes, I know, Lightning is back in a game. No, besides that, she actually returns to the person she was, with feelings. Because of Lumina. To me, that was a very good way to end things. And because people automatically dismissed Lumina as Chaos Serah, it was a surprise to learn that it wasn't Serah, but Lighty.
    It might have been more fitting if it were titled "Claire Returns" if that were the case - the way I see it, this is the main reason for her looking different - she has been reunited with all the emotions she previously hid away and, Lightning and Lumina combined, she is now back to being Claire. Or whatever her Earth-parents decided to name her, I guess.

Quote Originally Posted by Loony BoB View Post
    It might have been more fitting if it were titled "Claire Returns" if that were the case - the way I see it, this is the main reason for her looking different - she has been reunited with all the emotions she previously hid away and, Lightning and Lumina combined, she is now back to being Claire. Or whatever her Earth-parents decided to name her, I guess.
    Her Earth parents? As said, this was not an actual rebirth of the heroes, just a metaphorical one which is the reason why she can look for them in the first place as she and then of course the others have not become a new individual and so are still friend and family with each other. Their consciousness, their memories. Them. It is the same Lightning that is Serah's sister, who is the daughter of the unknown Farron parents while we could read about her mother in Episode Zero and has the friends that we know as the heroes and she is searching. They fought for retaining their existence, their self, their memories and they won. If anything they got a new body but as it looks the same it makes no difference and that is not stated. However maybe you knew that anyway, after all it is her who talks about her "previous" life and about her friends and family, the heroes so they will be reunited. So if anything that "rebirth" was the same kind of Sephiroth does who is always the same, the one and only, no matter how often he appears.

But as said, yes, she did look happier. What was lost or hidden she got back.
    Last edited by Sephiroth; 02-24-2014 at 02:44 PM.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Loony Bob (Twintania)

I wonder why she got planted on the planet so far into it's history... I thought they said it was going to be a "new" planet.

Quote Originally Posted by Loony BoB View Post
    I wonder why she got planted on the planet so far into it's history... I thought they said it was going to be a "new" planet.
    Well according to the story it is a new planet but except the "my journey is over but I will start my next and find them again" while looking very happy and finally living in peace the ending is open for everyone's mind anyway, so how she will find them or what is true about the planet - no one knows. It somehow is Earth and somehow not. Like Gaia. Simply Earth in a Final Fantasy universe.

Huh? Flower?! What the hell?! Administrator Psychotic's Avatar
    Articles

The Power of Love Conquers All endings are the worst

Having said that, I'm glad everyone got a nice happy ending at long last

^ Besides Sazh and Dajh who seem to be separated once again lmao.