Thread: How addictive?

This could be Dangerous! Carl the Llama's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Legendary Hero (Sargatanas)

Default How addictive?

So I bought this game yesterday and and played it only for 2 hours (as I had trouble sleeping the night before and ended up going to bed at 5pm) then woke up at 3 this morning and started playing in earnest... so much so that when I had to stop at 10 to get ready for my life saving dialysis... I considered phoning in and taking the day off. Needless to say the thought only stayed with me for a few seconds but still... its just so much fun!

How addicted are you to this game, and what makes the game so fun for you? For me its the combat, I just love it, it's the most fun I have had in the XIII series since its inception.

Also, what would you have liked to seen in this game? I hope there is a dodge roll or something similar, I much prefer to dodge then guard. Would also would like to see some dual wielding involved as well.

Recognized Member Scotty_ffgamer's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Scotty Ffgamer (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

I was pretty addicted before I beat the game. I do plan to go back and try completing some of the optional stuff. I guess the fact that I beat the game in only a few days shows how addicted I was.

The battle system was pretty addicting, and I just enjoyed working on completing the side quests so I could see more stories about the people inhabiting the world. A lot of them weren't too terribly interesting, but some were fantastic as well.

As for things I wish would have been different, most of my issues involved the story and writing. I won't go into that for spoiler reasons, but the premise behind the world in this game is pretty fascinating. I just didn't think it was always handled the best. Gameplay-wise, I do think a dodge roll would have been nice. There is one move that has you can sort of use to backflip away from attacks if I remember right. Dodge rolling might have made things a bit too easy though considering the way battles put an emphasis on timing your guards and attacks. It would have been a nice way to move around your enemies more quickly though considering Lightning just kind of slowly walks in battle. I also would have liked to see more done with targeting parts of enemies to exploit weaknesses and stagger them. It was handled pretty well, but I remember when it was originally mentioned as a battle mechanic I thought you could do things like specifically target an enemy's legs or something. It could have added a little more variety to battle as you try to figure out the weaknesses of an enemy that way.

I got 48 hours out of the game in 11 days.
    ...and a combined total of around 110 hours out of XIII and XIII-2 in December-January. In fact I beat XIII-2 the day before Lightning Returns was released. Still need to go back and finish both post games for them though.

Before this trilogy, I was lucky to get 2 hours out of gaming in a week. It was really rather dreary. So something about this series pulled me back in and got me hungry for more.

Huh? Flower?! What the hell?! Administrator Psychotic's Avatar
    Articles

"I'll just keep playing 'til I get to 6 AM" *spams Chronostasis*

Though I've done pretty much every sidequest now and am just picking up stuff from the Board of Prayers. That has caused my attention to wane slightly.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Loony Bob (Twintania)

One More Turn Chronostasis/Kill/Quest/Last One/etc.

Yeah, I was definitely playing this almost every moment I wasn't at work or sleeping. I got a good 60+ hours out of it, I believe, and haven't spent more than an hour on New Game Plus, so there's room for more 'work' there.
    Bow before the mighty Javoo!