Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Pro Wrestling Discussion

We should totally have an EoFF E-Federation.

Articles
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by NeoCracker View Post
    We should totally have an EoFF E-Federation.
    We kind of already did. I got stabbed with a sword.

Maybe it should have sent up some flags about my sexuality but my favorite wrestler as a little kid was Shawn Michaels.

Indeed he was the most "flamboyant" WWF Champion ever.

And of course after him my new favorite was Triple H. Do you realize just how beautiful his hair was? I'd kill for hair like that.

Speficically, for those who want to know the moment/What we're talking about, this is the smurf up.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U09oXyiAkOc

The cage wasn't suppose to give, so he took that fall completely unprepared.
    The cage was rigged to give. It wasn't a botch.

What WAS a botch was the chair falling with him and hitting him in the face. He wound up more injured from that than the fall (his tooth was knocked out, you can see it perversely sticking out of his nose is some footage/pictures).

For a while I was really into indie wrestling, like ECW in the 90's, before it was bought out by WWE. I hate watching WWE now. The camera direction is smurfing terrible. The stupid camera angles and worse - camera SHAKING every time someone hits a move? Nauseating.

Basically I don't watch wrestling much any more but about once a year or so I'll get in the mood and watch a couple of PPVs and then get bored and don't bother for a year or so.

What I still find fascinating about wrestling is how utterly corrupt it is. The politics behind the scenes is insane. It's a very weird industry. Even weirder than all the silly costumes and half naked dudes rubbing each other would imply.

That's why you need to check out YouShoot. It's an awesome site.

Kevin Nash is my hero

Also wrestling stories are simply the best. If you have not read about how "Sycho" Sid Vicious attempted assault with a squeegee, go Google that right now.

Also Shawn and Nash and all those stories of their crazy days in the 90s where they were popping pills like candy. So many wonderful stories there too.

Now I might have loved Shawn but I had normal loves too.

Quote Originally Posted by Parker View Post
    Speficically, for those who want to know the moment/What we're talking about, this is the smurf up.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U09oXyiAkOc

The cage wasn't suppose to give, so he took that fall completely unprepared.
    The cage was rigged to give. It wasn't a botch.

What WAS a botch was the chair falling with him and hitting him in the face. He wound up more injured from that than the fall (his tooth was knocked out, you can see it perversely sticking out of his nose is some footage/pictures).

For a while I was really into indie wrestling, like ECW in the 90's, before it was bought out by WWE. I hate watching WWE now. The camera direction is smurfing terrible. The stupid camera angles and worse - camera SHAKING every time someone hits a move? Nauseating.

Basically I don't watch wrestling much any more but about once a year or so I'll get in the mood and watch a couple of PPVs and then get bored and don't bother for a year or so.

What I still find fascinating about wrestling is how utterly corrupt it is. The politics behind the scenes is insane. It's a very weird industry. Even weirder than all the silly costumes and half naked dudes rubbing each other would imply.
    It wasn't suppose to give there, at least not according to his book. The fall through the cage was suppose to happen later.

Feel the Bern Administrator Del Murder's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Administrator
    • Hosted the Ciddies

I read the same thing in Foley's book. I really liked his books. I also read the autobiographies of The Rock and Ric Flair. Never got around to reading Bret Hart's.

Proud to be the Unofficial Secret Illegal Enforcer of Eyes on Final Fantasy!
    When I grow up, I want to go to Bovine Trump University! - Ralph Wiggum

William Regal's and The Dynamite Kid's are great reading, but pretty depressing stuff. Dynamite Kid's story in particular. He wasn't a great person, but like a lot of people in wrestling addiction and injury ruined his life. Sad reading.

A Big Deal? Recognized Member Big D's Avatar
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

This Cracked article is interesting. It's got a ton of insights, both good and bad, into the history of pro wrestling and how it's changed, as well as detailed accounts of some of the more famous mishaps.

:Edit: the article was co-authored by wrestler who retired due to injury, so its 'insider perspective' claims are quite credible.

Blog Entries

I liked wrestling in grade school. Once I found out it was scripted I had enough of that. It seems like ti more about running your mouth to everyone that actually wrestling now. Even if it's scripted if it was more action and less drama it might be more appealing to me. I somehow doubt it though.

I want to be Triple H one day; be as gormless, repugnant, and talentless as possible but still strike it big by sleeping with the right person.

Articles
    Blog Entries

I'd just settle for sleeping with Stephanie, to be frank.

If WWE has any sense remaining in its booking Daniel Bryan will leave WrestleMania as the WWE World Heavyweight Champion.

Triple H was the head of DX for a year or two and was the most popular Face in the WWF next to Austin. I recall a WWF Magazine at the time that even predicted his Heel Turn because he was such a big thing that people were waiting for him to challenge for the WWF Title.

Plus if you know his history, you know he was supposed to be "the next big thing" but then the Kliq Incident happened and he got busted down to wrestling Henry Godwin. He never complained though. He spent the next year or so in Slop Matches and worked his way back up to being one of the most beloved wrestlers in the company.

I won't say he's a super-talented or super-charismatic wrestler because he's not but he is most certainly not talentless. Just listen to that pop when he returned in 2002.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uRGQugQpjz8

There have been plenty of guys who were pushed to the moon but failed miserably. Sleeping with Steph would never have gotten him anywhere if the crowds didn't respond to him.

The people in 2002 were stupid, they cheered for Cena back then.

I never really liked Triple H. At first he never struck me as anything special and I always figured he was just pushed to the top because he was from the Attitude era. However I think it was when he reunited DX the most recent time I began to get legitimately sick of seeing him on TV. My description of him is Hyperbole but nevertheless I do not see the appeal of ol' beakie. Granted he makes a good authoritarian villain, he seems to really fit the role really well and all those old rumours about him burying talent help with the image.

Articles
    Blog Entries

The people in 2002 weren't stupid, a lot of guys who come back from injury get huge pops upon their return. Especially when they're told by doctors they may never wrestle again. I can't remember if that was the case with Triple H, but I know it was a nasty injury.

Triple H works best in a group setting. When he was on his own as Hunter Hearst Helmsley he was terrible. He had the in-ring ability, but pro wrestling hasn't been about wrestling since the sixties. Once he made nice with Shawn backstage and they formed D-Generation X things began to kick off for him. After that he led DX, had Chyna at his side when he was solo, followed by Stephanie, the McMahon Family and a few years later Evolution. His hype in 2002 died down when Hogan entered the fray and became Champion.

My only problem with Triple H is that he fell to the same bad habits a lot of Main Eventers do, ego. He wouldn't put people over, he buried quite a few wrestlers in the past and even as an authority figure he butted into angles that he had no place in like the Punk/Cena feud a few years back. Despite his popularity he was never as big a draw as the likes of Austin and The Rock and I get the feeling that always ate at him inside. When the average wrestling fan thinks of the all time greats, Triple H seldom appears on the list.