Thread: Point of No Return (Chapter Five Spoilers)

Default Point of No Return (Chapter Five Spoilers)

I really really hate points of no return.

I'm about to go through the pillar of light and be dragged back to the beginning again. But I would like to know what, if anything, is missable before I do.

I've hunted down every Genome Skill that I've seen in my bestiary thus far (except for boss only ones). I've looted every chest except for the Blue ones (how do I open them?). I've done every side quest (I'm still missing two jobs, but I believe I get Dark Knight at the pillar) I can find.

Is there anything else I need to make sure I get before I head through? I would hate to have to start over because I left something behind (since you can't create a backup save).

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Fynnek Zoryasch (Twintania)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

Nope. Don't worry. Just do all the blue exclamation points.

It's actually pretty hard to miss something in this game. The points of no return are not as final as it would seem.

Articles
    Blog Entries

I'm not a fan of points of no returns either. I'd think you'd want to be able to go back any time and pick up the stuff you miss. I never really seen the pros to them.

Quote Originally Posted by The White Wizard of Fynn View Post
    Nope. Don't worry. Just do all the blue exclamation points.

It's actually pretty hard to miss something in this game. The points of no return are not as final as it would seem.
    What about the Blue Chests? If this jump to the beginning is, as has been revealed in one of the few spoilers I've gotten, (SPOILER)really a jump to another world, won't I lose the option to open those chests, since (SPOILER)they'll be in another dimension?

And what about the shops? Would I lose the option to purchase some items (speaking of items, is there any place you can buy a Kunai? I love the plus Evasion on them)?
    My friend Delzethin is currently running a GoFundMe account to pay for some extended medical troubles he's had. He's had chronic issues and lifetime troubles that have really crippled his career opportunities, and he's trying to get enough funding to get back to a stable medical situation. If you like his content, please support his GoFundMe, or even just contribute to his Patreon.

He can really use a hand with this, and any support you can offer is appreciated.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Fynnek Zoryasch (Twintania)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

Nope. The chests and shops are shared throughout the worlds. You don't even get to open the blue ones till the later chapters. So don't worry. Not really sure about the Kunais, though.

Quote Originally Posted by The White Wizard of Fynn View Post
    Nope. The chests and shops are shared throughout the worlds. You don't even get to open the blue ones till the later chapters. So don't worry. Not really sure about the Kunais, though.
    Wait, so a new world doesn't have different chests? That's... That's honestly one of the most disappointing things I've heard about this game.

I mean, I like that nothing is permanently missable, that's fantastic.

But remember the chests in Chrono Trigger? How taking one in the past meant that you couldn't take it in the future? Or how manipulating one in the past changed its contents in the future? How you could take one in the future and then go back and take it in the past?

That was such a great mechanic, and I think crossing between worlds would offer a similar sort of freedom and manipulation. Sure, they'd have to let you actually have some control over the world jumping, but I could see that happening after completing the cycle for a second time, and it would lend more depth to the world jumping, which is sorely needed from what people have said.

Thanks for the answers, though.
    My friend Delzethin is currently running a GoFundMe account to pay for some extended medical troubles he's had. He's had chronic issues and lifetime troubles that have really crippled his career opportunities, and he's trying to get enough funding to get back to a stable medical situation. If you like his content, please support his GoFundMe, or even just contribute to his Patreon.

He can really use a hand with this, and any support you can offer is appreciated.

Articles

I was worried about genome skills when I first found them. One is only available at the end of chapter 5 from a previously defeated boss. Knowing this I gave up trying to get 100% everything and ran though to chapter 6.

Was able to get all the genome skills thereafter. Not sure if there are things you can miss, but there are things that become available again after chapter 5. Then again, my 100% playthroughs were limted to Getting/Mastering all the Jobs, finishing norende and getting to level 99. I assume you are more in depth than myself.

I immediately set out getting all Genome skills I could immediately. I've currently collected all (except for Firaja, Blizzaja, and Aeroja), and I'm not yet through with Chapter 5.

Completion to me means doing everything I can. Completing the big things like side quests, levels, job levels, and the encyclopedia for items, enemies, and skills (Compounding everything) are naturally a part of it.

But I also can't leave behind any treasure chests, any items tucked away in a town, or miss any dialogue scenes. This last bit is made even more critical since the game has a system that tracks those. I know I can't get them all in a single play through, as some will change based on what order you do things, but I want to get as many as I can (currently, I think I've missed one, returning to the Vampire Castle with some of the Dragon Orbs, but not all of them).

Ideally, I'd also have at least eight of every weapon and shield (enough to equip every character with two of each), and four of each armor, helm, and accessory. But that is a minor thing, and I'll only really worry about it on equipment I really, really like.
    Last edited by Skyblade; 04-17-2014 at 02:53 AM.

Articles

Out of curiosity what is your current playtime? I had gotten all I needed out of the game at 62 hours but that was following my idea of 100%.

104:22:49 as of my last save, after felling Level 80 Belphegor and securing Firaja and Blizzaja. Just Aeroja to go, and I'll have all the Genome Abilities.

In the meantime, I'm moving on to Chapter 6.