Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Squeenix stoops to a new low

Crazy Scot. Cid's Knight Shauna's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Sheetle Bug (Twintania)

Quote Originally Posted by Mirage View Post
    This DLC is actually not necessarily just money grabbing. While I am not sure if SE does the voicework themselves, I know that voice acting companies often charge in accordance with how big the potential audience is for whatever it is they're making.
    Fair enough. Never thought about it that way. :3

This could be Dangerous! Carl the Llama's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Legendary Hero (Sargatanas)

Quote Originally Posted by WildRaubtier View Post
    @jess yes, thats exactly what a lot of people did

anyway, this thread: whiny entitled gamer stereotypes
    How am I a "whiny entitled gamer"? If I wanted the language dlc, I would have gotten it as soon as I saw it, I am arguing that they charge extra for a different language after giving it away, or not.

If anything I am arguing on behalf of the people who would want the laguage, when back in the day when DLC wasn't available you unlocked things like this by playing the game, and yet wonders will never cease: they didn't charge extra, for example, Disgaea or Ar Tonelico or (I think) Altelier Iris all have optional Japanese language and yet somehow they all were able to be sold at the standard £39.99 when they were released... Charging for a language however "well publicized" it was in my opinion is a new low, they took something that cam free back in the PS2 era and slapped a price tag on it, and yet when someone complains about they get slapped in the face with "whiny entitled gamer". Nice.

Recognized Member Scotty_ffgamer's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Scotty Ffgamer (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

I'm failing to see how this is a new low for Squenix. You don't think the language pack should be charged DLC at all I guess, which is fine. Personally, though, I feel like they handled this DLC pretty well. They offered it for free for a few weeks as an incentive for people to get the game early, but you could still download the pack regardless of if you had the game at all. Yes, maybe they could have put a message out reminding that it's time to be downloaded for free was coming to an end, but they still were open about what they were doing well in advance before they started charging. XIII-2's DLC (with key story elements which expand upon the ending somewhat being relegated to Requiem of a Goddess, and mini games that probably should have been included in the main game like the card games in Serendipity and at least 1 or 2 Coliseum battles) seems much more offensive to me than this.

Honestly, they didn't have to provide the Japanese language option at all, and they didn't have to give it away for free for a time at all. When has Square EVER provided a Japanese language option for at least their FF games before now? The only game I can even think of outside of the FF series is Bravely Default. There are probably others, but that's just what I can think of off the top of my head.

tech spirit
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Mirage Askai (Sargatanas)

Quote Originally Posted by Carl the Llama View Post

How am I a "whiny entitled gamer"? If I wanted the language dlc, I would have gotten it as soon as I saw it, I am arguing that they charge extra for a different language after giving it away, or not.

If anything I am arguing on behalf of the people who would want the laguage, when back in the day when DLC wasn't available you unlocked things like this by playing the game, and yet wonders will never cease: they didn't charge extra, for example, Disgaea or Ar Tonelico or (I think) Altelier Iris all have optional Japanese language and yet somehow they all were able to be sold at the standard £39.99 when they were released... Charging for a language however "well publicized" it was in my opinion is a new low, they took something that cam free back in the PS2 era and slapped a price tag on it, and yet when someone complains about they get slapped in the face with "whiny entitled gamer". Nice.
    I am pretty sure NIS does their voicework themselves and therefore do not have to pay extra in royalties in order to include it for all regions they release it in. They still do this for PS3 games so this has nothing to do with being on PS2 or PS3. I'm not going to call you a whiny gamer but I do think you aren't too informed about how this stuff works.
    everything is wrapped in gray
    i'm focusing on your image
    can you hear me in the void?

Lol. You could have downloaded the voice pack for free the very first day, canceled the download, and then redownload it for free again at a later time.

It's not Square Enix's fault you didn't prepare. They warned people in advance. Sorry...

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Quote Originally Posted by Noctis Caelum View Post
    Lol. You could have downloaded the voice pack for free the very first day, canceled the download, and then redownload it for free again at a later time.

It's not Square Enix's fault you didn't prepare. They warned people in advance. Sorry...
    Its not about whether or not I wanted it - I didn't.
    If I wanted the language dlc, I would have gotten it as soon as I saw it.
    >.>

So it is wrong to put a DLC on a temporary free sale? Tons of companies have done similar things, with DLC and even full games, all the time. Steam sales are notorious for having fantastic games available for free for a limited time. Fire Emblem Awakening offered its first DLC available for free for a limited time, and no one complained about that.

Sales are an extremely common practice. They aren't exactly limited to just the video game industry.
    My friend Delzethin is currently running a GoFundMe account to pay for some extended medical troubles he's had. He's had chronic issues and lifetime troubles that have really crippled his career opportunities, and he's trying to get enough funding to get back to a stable medical situation. If you like his content, please support his GoFundMe, or even just contribute to his Patreon.

He can really use a hand with this, and any support you can offer is appreciated.

I guess its okay now. Lama said he was dissatisfied about it even though he did not mean it as a missed opportunity and we told him it was announced before while he does not agree withthat marketing method. No necessity in cycle posting.

Articles

It's designed to reward the loyal players who picked up the game in the first few weeks of release. For those players they are getting an additional extra at no cost, as they should for paying full retail for the game at launch. It's a reward incentive.

Players who 3 months down the line pick up the game when it is discounted by like £10, or 1 year down the line and we see the game in pre-owned bins everywhere for £10, Those players wouldn't be entitled to the free DLC as they are not the group who go out their way to buy the Square Enix Products when it's available. It's the latter group that complain that they don't get the same benifits as those that have paid full price for the game.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Quote Originally Posted by Skyblade View Post
    So it is wrong to put a DLC on a temporary free sale? Tons of companies have done similar things, with DLC and even full games, all the time. Steam sales are notorious for having fantastic games available for free for a limited time. Fire Emblem Awakening offered its first DLC available for free for a limited time, and no one complained about that.

Sales are an extremely common practice. They aren't exactly limited to just the video game industry.
    Its not about giving DLC away its about that they are charging for a language when other games (which I have stated in previous posts) include the language for free... I have no problem with them giving away DLC, hell, I have even bought 3 of their DLC's for this game and 5 for XIII-2, I have no problem what so ever with paying for DLC, the problem I have lies only with the charging of a language.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Shauna
    Players who 3 months down the line pick up the game when it is discounted by like £10, or 1 year down the line and we see the game in pre-owned bins everywhere for £10, Those players wouldn't be entitled to the free DLC as they are not the group who go out their way to buy the Square Enix Products when it's available. It's the latter group that complain that they don't get the same benifits as those that have paid full price for the game.
    Quote Originally Posted by Carl the Llama
    well if that's the case then why don't they stop giving the language pack when retailers start to lower the price?

GONNA ROKKEN YOUR WORLD WildRaubtier's Avatar

um

ok so first of all, they have stopped giving it out, and now they're selling it, so yes they have stopped giving it out in time for the price to drop

second, that some games include alternative languages for free is irrelevent: in this instance it's not

your problem seems to be that everything isn't 100% rigidly uniform, which is a dumb problem to have, qq more noob

You don't need three posts to say all of that dude. -Psychotic

^ Posting three times to send your message across doesn't make you intelligent either.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

ok so first of all, they have stopped giving it out, and now they're selling it, so yes they have stopped giving it out in time for the price to drop
    Games take at least a month for the price to drop, and then that's only for really bad games, some games can take up to a year for the price to drop... I thought you would be able to figure that I meant that they should have waited a little bit longer, I thought that would have been obvious. >.>

Quote Originally Posted by WildRaubtier
    second, that some games include alternative languages for free is irrelevent: in this instance it's not

your problem seems to be that everything isn't 100% rigidly uniform, which is a dumb problem to have, qq more noob
    My problem is that they are charging for something that other games give away free. Do I have a problem that I have a choice to pay for dlc like a new costume when other games don't require it? No. Did I have a problem paying for all the additional DLC story modes for FFXIII-2 modes even though back in the days before DLC came along they had the whole game? Nope, not a single smurf was given.

I also have a new problem now that you cant seem to form an intelligent response and have to resort to insulting someone who has a different opinion then you.

GONNA ROKKEN YOUR WORLD WildRaubtier's Avatar

so your problem is that squeenix isn't rigidly conforming to the standard of including alternative languages with their games for free anymore as set by a sample cherry picked by yourself

which is exactly what i said but more specific to this scenario

like if this is your opinion on voice acting dlc which actually costs money to produce in order to be sold id hate to know what you think of bottled water

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

so your problem is that squeenix isn't rigidly conforming to the standard of including alternative languages with their games for free anymore as set by a sample cherry picked by yourself
    I love how you call me a stereotype and then try your best to make me fit into some niche of self entitled assholes who expect everything for free, but when I state that isn't the case you say "oh he is just an uptight person who thinks "object of discussion" should be standard" I gave you 3 different games off of the top of my head, they all had voice actors, they all didn't charge for additional languages, and now squeenix who decided to include a language is going to charge for it after initially giving it away...

which is exactly what i said but more specific to this scenario
    This isn't even remotely like what you said, you stereotyped me as someone who thinks everything should be free, then I proved this was not the case by saying x y and z argument so you have to come up with some other silly reason to try and demean me, its pathetic really.

like if this is your opinion on voice acting dlc which actually costs money to produce in order to be sold id hate to know what you think of bottled water
    Wait, you mean they don't get paid through the sales of the game, smurf me what a selfish I have been, damn me you are so right I had no idea they only get paid through the language pack dlc price, how stupid of me to think otherwise.

Oh btw, since shauna agrees with me about the dlc does that make her a self entitled person as well?

Quote Originally Posted by Shauna
    Not saying that this sort of DLC is anything but money-grabbing and that developers are in the right when they do this.