Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Harry Potter General Discussion

Okay, six.

Point is, that we should all realize Harry Potter grew with its fanbase. It was very whimsical and had a totally different tone for the first three, maybe four books. In Book 1 and 2, it was suited for children of Harry's age at that time (11-12). By the later books it has grown more complex and mature, just like its readers.

In the first few books, Slytherin could be the House of Evil because the setting was simply that....I don't want to say childish... It was simple there ya go. Draco Malfoy was not intended to be anything but a mustache-twirling jackass and neither was the rest of them.

Articles
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by Jinx View Post
    If we're counting Snape and Regulus amongst the good Slytherins--because they turned from evil--then you've got to count all three Malfoys. In the end, they just wanted to be together and didn't care about Voldemort winning. I mean, Narcissa saved Harry's life in the forest. Even if it was only so she could eventually save Draco, it came from a place of love.
    I would not refer to the Malfoys' indifference as being "good Slytherins". As it happens, their choices worked out well for the non-Voldemort supporters, but it could have easily been on the other side of the coin if it would have benefited the Malfoys to remain with Voldemort. Such actions are not characterized by good; they directly boil down to neutral and self-serving without regard for others, even their supposed master.

They did not turn from evil because they were never truly evil. It made no difference to them whether the war was won or lost, because the only side they were ever on was their own.

Blog Entries

Draco didnt turn in Harry and Co when he couldve betrayed them all to Voldemort (when Fenrir Greyback took them to Malfoy manor) and make him and his family on top in the new world order so he's not so evil but Narcissia and Lucius are still selfish and self serving to the end.

Snape and Regulus betrayed Voldemort for very little benefit to themselves, knowing what it might cost them where as Narcissia and Lucius stayed out of it because they hardly knew which horse to bet on.
    Last edited by blackmage_nuke; 03-16-2014 at 10:21 AM.
    Kefka's coming, look intimidating!
    Have a nice day!!

Articles
    Blog Entries

I never heard of Harry Potter until the first movie came out and when I saw previews of it everywhere I thought it looked meh. I even had the chance to get an Albus Dumbledore action figure, but I didn't because I thought the whole thing was meh. Eventually mom would rent the first movie from Blockbuster and I'd sit down with my parents to watch it.

It was the greatest thing I have ever witnessed in my known existence. Never before have I been so utterly and completely wrong about something in my life. I immediately wanted to get my hands on everything Harry Potter. I read all the books that were already out at the time, bought the action figures, played the video games (why is Hermione blonde? Why are the Hufflepuff colors black and purple? Goddammit, EA!) and was in line at my local library to get Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix. I could not put it down I loved it so much.

Unfortunately, Half Blood Prince would be ruined for me by people online who thought it was funny to give away the ending so I lost interest and didn't come back to Half Blood Prince until a few years later and had to force myself to get to the end. By the time the seventh book came out my interest has waved entirely. The Nothing was victorious in me. I'm sorry. I'm so sorry.

It was terrible how Snape killed Aeris. I'm sorry you had it spoiled.

Articles
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

My best friend rescued a naked cat today and named it Voldemort.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by Forsaken Lover View Post
    It was terrible how Snape killed Aeris. I'm sorry you had it spoiled.
    Still a big shock even now. I thought the part where Voldemort summoned Meteor was particularly awesome though.

In Book 1 and 2, it was suited for children of Harry's age at that time (11-12). By the later books it has grown more complex and mature, just like its readers.

In the first few books, Slytherin could be the House of Evil because the setting was simply that....I don't want to say childish... It was simple there ya go. Draco Malfoy was not intended to be anything but a mustache-twirling jackass and neither was the rest of them.

This

The first book was very Cinderella story, the movie was almost Disney-ish in a way, very bright, colorful, happy. As the books and readers developed, so did the Slytherin house. It became less black/ white, and more than just the " evil house "

More like the labeled, judged, discriminated, parents are Death Eaters, Voldemort ruined our life/ parent's life house.

BK 1/2 - Ooooooooh Slytherin is the bad house !

BK 6/7- Slytherin is not the most perfect house and it does have alot of assfaces in it, but the world isn't so black/ white. And they most likely refused to battle within the Battle Of Hogwarts, since they would be battling against their parents.

Ya know when you think about it, Sirius was really only in maybe two books total. He has a decent role in OoTP but his appearances in PoA ad GoF only really add up to one book's worth of character as far as I'm concerned.

And then he dies. We're supposed to be oh so attached to this guy we have barely spent any time with.

This is made even more laughable in the movies. I'm watching RiffTrax'S Goblet of Fire now and I had totally forgotten they took out what little presence he had in it to begin with. So now we're supposed to care about a guy who was in 1.5 books at most.

What I'm saying is that Harry has no reason to feel close to Sirius at all in the movies.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

And then he dies. We're supposed to be oh so attached to this guy we have barely spent any time with.

What I'm saying is that Harry has no reason to feel close to Sirius at all in the movies.
    I don't really agree with this. Maybe you don't always see Sirius but he is the closest thing Harry has to a parent for nearly three books. They're always discussing him or writing to him for advice.

I thought his character development was excellent.

Articles
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Bubba View Post

I don't really agree with this. Maybe you don't always see Sirius but he is the closest thing Harry has to a parent for nearly three books. They're always discussing him or writing to him for advice.

Agreed. Sirius is one of my all time favorite characters in Harry Potter. I love his part in 3 - 5.

Ya know when you think about it, Sirius was really only in maybe two books total. He has a decent role in OoTP but his appearances in PoA ad GoF only really add up to one book's worth of character as far as I'm concerned.

i cared about Sirius. ;_;

He was my favorite character, still is today, in draw with Lupin. In fact I was so upset, mad, emotional about his death, that I stopped reading HP for years. I can't handle BK 5 at all.

I'm serious for Sirius. So Sirius it hurts.
    Quote Originally Posted by ToriJ View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Bubba View Post

I don't really agree with this. Maybe yrou don't always see Sirius but he is the closest thing Harry has to a parent for nearly three books. They're always discussing him or writing to him for advice.

Agreed. Sirius is one of my all time favorite characters in Harry Potter. I love his part in 3 - 5.