Thread: True Detective

Feel the Bern Administrator Del Murder's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Administrator
    • Hosted the Ciddies

This was a pretty good series, and the last half was very suspenseful. This may very well be the Year of the McConaughey.

Proud to be the Unofficial Secret Illegal Enforcer of Eyes on Final Fantasy!
    When I grow up, I want to go to Bovine Trump University! - Ralph Wiggum

Articles
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Marathoned the trout out of this series in the last thirty hours. It has been a long time since I have felt such an intense, crazy mixture of emotions while watching something. Curiosity, resounding discomfort, fear, and in the end... hope, I guess?

I can't say enough good things about this show. I've always been a Woody Harrelson fan, and his character and role progression throughout the years has been interesting to watch. He does a good job. But Matthew McConaghey, christ alsmurfingmighty. Right now, the only person to outdo him on my list is Heath Ledger, and he gives Ledger a good run for his money. I honestly never thought I would say that. I think about his acting career, with troutty, horrible movies like How To Lose A Guy In Ten Days and Failure To Launch - even that horrible dragon movie all those years ago (I was so excited and so, so disappointed) and I want to cringe, but seeing what he's become - I guess he could be compared to Ledger in that sense, with Ten Things I Hate About You and A Knight's Tale. He's really and truly come into his own, and he completely blew my mind. I'm honestly shocked, and I actually enjoy the fact that I have to eat my hat on this one. If he doesn't win an award for this show, my faith in film and television critics will be blown.

On the content itself - the mysteries of the deep south have always been kindof fun to speculate on. Stuff that goes on in the woods, crazies who live out there. Of course you get stories like The Texas Chainsaw Massacre and everything else encircling basically everything to do with those theories of what goes on out there. This quick, eight-episode series was so raw, so, so dark, and covered so much of the human psyche in such a short amount of time. It disturbed me without having to show me all of its cards, and that is what I liked about it. And it has totally and completely curbed any desire I have ever had to go exploring there.

I will say that as creepy and uncomfortable as the finale was, the one shot that's stuck with me all this time was the image of the dude in his underwear crossing the farm property with his gas mask swinging around and the camera just froze on him. Right as Cohle is talking about dreams and monsters. That's been haunting me since I saw it. The ending was one of its own, though. I kindof wish that more of it was exposed, but I like that it wasn't, because it wasn't necessary. They showed as much as they needed, and they ended the story where it needed to end. (SPOILER)I am kindof disappointed that they both lived at the end, I was sure Cohle was going to eat it. Him talking about the end and his daughter and the darkness, though, was just almost... profound, to me, I guess. I really enjoyed that unexpected character moment from him.

10/10. Awesome, awesome show. They say it's going to be, or that it was intended to be, rather, an anthology. I would be very interested to see how that would work. They tried it with American Horror Story and that show has just become a progressively worse train wreck, but with how strong this first season was, I very much look forward to it.

Master of the Fork Cid's Knight Freya's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Freya Meow (Sargatanas)

I'm so glad you watched the show, Shorty. It truly is an amazing piece of work. Matthew came out of his shell in this one and the way him and harrelson played off each other just worked so well.

I hear they are going to have the next one in northern california and i've heard rumors of a female lead.

Articles
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

I don't care about female leads specifically so much as I care about who it is.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Freya Meow (Sargatanas)

Apparently Colin Farrell has been offered a spot and Taylor Kitsch. The female lead is still questionable. Apparently it's three different cops in california in different cities that come together. And apparently each of course has their own demons in their personal life/past.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Loony Bob (Twintania)

The one moment that really stood out for me throughout the entire series is the moment where spoiler of sortsMr. Redneck starts speaking with the most posh accent imaginable. Danielle and I didn't see that coming, I don't think anyone could have seriously expected that.

I loved this series. Like some in this thread, I felt it started slowly - Danielle was the one who kept making me watch it rather than me actually jumping at the chance. I'm glad she did, though. The first four or five episodes were all build up to a worthy rampage through the real story taking place, and it was excellent.

Looking forward to the second season. It certainly has a lot to live up to.
    Bow before the mighty Javoo!

Articles
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

uuuuugh Colin Farrell? What is this show, an acting reform program?

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Freya Meow (Sargatanas)

Apparently! I thought ugh to McConaghey but he blew it out the park.

Farrell isn't too bad of a choice I don't think. I dunno, the first seasons writing was phenomenal so I don't think it'll disappoint.

Articles
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

As long as he doesn't play an Irishman, I can take it. He us terrible at playing his own nationality and was basically the worst thing about Seven Psychopaths.

:monster:

I finished watching this a couple days ago too. This show lived up to the hype.
    Don't delay, add The Pimp today! Don't delay, add The Pimp today!
    Fool’s Gold tlsfflast.fm (warning: album artwork may sometimes be nsfw)

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Loony Bob (Twintania)

Quote Originally Posted by Shorty View Post
    As long as he doesn't play an Irishman, I can take it. He us terrible at playing his own nationality and was basically the worst thing about Seven Psychopaths.
    I dunno, I liked him in In Bruges.
    Bow before the mighty Javoo!

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Freya Meow (Sargatanas)

Yes it's been almost a year and I'm reviving a thread but I wanted anecdotes from season one in the thread in anticipation for season two. SEASON TWO TRAILER!

I'm actually very piqued by ferrell's look. He has a mustache! Rachel McAdams looks good. She was in SWAT gear!

Feel the Bern Administrator Del Murder's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Administrator
    • Hosted the Ciddies

I feel like this show is like the podcast Serial. It's first season was so good that it will be almost impossible to recapture that magic in the future. I'm sure it will still be good. I'll probably wait for the whole thing to air instead of watching week by week since a show like this makes you crazy with anticipation for the next episode.

Proud to be the Unofficial Secret Illegal Enforcer of Eyes on Final Fantasy!
    When I grow up, I want to go to Bovine Trump University! - Ralph Wiggum

How should we tease the second season?

Intense looks, Jimmy. And then the looks intensifies.

Very VIP person Tech Admin Rantz's Avatar
    Articles

I'm cautiously hopeful that they'll keep up the good quality, but of course we won't know until we see it. Unlike Murder, I will not be able to keep myself from watching it week by week.