Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: True Detective

What the bliff Recognized Member
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

This would be so good if it didn't have Vince Vaughn. I'm curious to see what Rachel McAdams' and Taylor Kitsch's characters bring to the table, but mostly Rachel's because she looks like a badass.

Articles
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

NEW SEASON JUNE 21ST THAT'S THIS SUNDAY

http://www.rollingstone.com/tv/news/...ctive-20150617

Newest review leaves me with mixed feelings. Rachel McAdams sounds like she's killing it, but I could very well do without Colin Farrell, just like I could very well do without another LA crime show. However, the writer specifically compares it to something like the The Chinatown Monologues, which has subsequently piqued my interest.

Whoever thought to make Vince Vaughn a crime syndicate leader, though, should be removed from the show, along with the person who green-lighted the idea. I cannot take him seriously. Then again, I thought this same exact thing about Matthew McConaughey, but he atleast had some solid serious drama work under his belt, even if it stood up against crap like Failure to Launch and How to Lose A Guy In Ten Days. We'll see, I guess.

Still excited for it, and excited to see some maniacal ragecop on Rachel McAdams' part.
    Last edited by Shorty; 06-17-2015 at 06:44 PM.

Articles

Colin Farrell is always better when he's not doing the A-list action hero thing. See: Horrible Bosses, In Bruges, Seven Psychopaths.

And I don't understand the hate for Vince Vaughn, since I'm of the opinion he's got like two different modes: low-key slacker type and slow-burning villain type. Think of Robin Williams, who you may remember killed it on Law and Order and in movies like Insomnia. It just so happens that Vaughn has leaned more on the former in recent years, but don't forget roles he had in Into the Wild and Cell. He's got it in him.

Can you tell how excited I am now that #TrueDetectiveSeason2 is actually here?

Master of the Fork Cid's Knight Freya's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Freya Meow (Sargatanas)

I'm super excited. So glad they put this on right after GoT ended so I don't have a lull in shows.

I'm giving all the actors a clean slate here. I worried about the last seasons actors but they proved me wrong so I'm going to try to not worry this time.

Articles
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by Strider View Post
    Colin Farrell is always better when he's not doing the A-list action hero thing. See: Horrible Bosses, In Bruges, Seven Psychopaths.

And I don't understand the hate for Vince Vaughn, since I'm of the opinion he's got like two different modes: low-key slacker type and slow-burning villain type. Think of Robin Williams, who you may remember killed it on Law and Order and in movies like Insomnia. It just so happens that Vaughn has leaned more on the former in recent years, but don't forget roles he had in Into the Wild and Cell. He's got it in him.

Can you tell how excited I am now that #TrueDetectiveSeason2 is actually here?
    Was he in Into the Wild? I don't remember him at all.

I did like Colin Farrell in In Bruges, but I found his role in Seven Psychopaths as not awesome. I don't know what it was. He is very out of place as an Irishman among Americans. I have nothing against the Irish, but it felt like his character was Irish solely because Colin Farrell is Irish; the character probably would have been American if it were any other actor in the role. Maybe that wasn't his fault because his character was written that way, but he does very well as playing an American as seen in Minority Report, which is probably my favorite thing I have yet to see him in.

I haven't seen any of the trailers yet, so I'm just going off of what I've read on the internet about his role this season.

What villainous roles have we seen Vince Vaughn in?

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Loony Bob (Twintania)

I am looking forward to more often-disliked actors proving they can act by actually being featured in a well written and directed show. Bring it on.
    Bow before the mighty Javoo!

Very VIP person Tech Admin Rantz's Avatar
    Articles

Quote Originally Posted by Shorty View Post
    Was he in Into the Wild? I don't remember him at all.
    He was a farmer who let Christopher work at the farm until he got busted for something or other.

I'm so excited for this

Feel the Bern Administrator Del Murder's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Administrator
    • Hosted the Ciddies

This show is waaaaay to suspenseful so I think I'll wait for it to be over and then binge the whole thing.

Proud to be the Unofficial Secret Illegal Enforcer of Eyes on Final Fantasy!
    When I grow up, I want to go to Bovine Trump University! - Ralph Wiggum

Articles

FFXIV Character

Nope (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Hosted the Ciddies

Happy birthday to me from HBO I guess

I'm looking forward to seeing Vincent Vaughn tbh!

Master of the Fork Cid's Knight Freya's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Freya Meow (Sargatanas)

I'm confused. But intrigued.

I think it's that we have all these story lines but I THINK I half ass got it.

So Farrel is a aggressive dirty cop? Vince is kinda a bad guy but someone is killing his people? Taylor is a good cop with maybe PTSD and McAdams is a pissed off good cop and they all end up having to deal with whomever killed the one guy.

I think. There's a lot going on

I've not read the comment. Gone straight to typing this.

About to get my True Detective fill. I'm pretty chuffed it's back. HBO are just great with my needs!

Very VIP person Tech Admin Rantz's Avatar
    Articles

Quote Originally Posted by Freya View Post
    I'm confused. But intrigued.

I think it's that we have all these story lines but I THINK I half ass got it.

So Farrel is a aggressive dirty cop? Vince is kinda a bad guy but someone is killing his people? Taylor is a good cop with maybe PTSD and McAdams is a pissed off good cop and they all end up having to deal with whomever killed the one guy.

I think. There's a lot going on
    That's pretty much what I got out of it too. I was a bit confused with what seemed to be the separate timeline for Farrell and Vaughn where they met, but I think it was just a temporary flashback.

I'll reserve judgement for now but it seems pretty promising.

I liked the episode. It felt convoluted at the start, bouncing all the characters somewhat quickly, but the foundations were very nicely placed with all four of them - bringing them together nicely for the story-arc of the season.

Farrell stood out for me. Looking like his character will be the one that pushes the story forward.
    Last edited by DarkMatta; 06-22-2015 at 09:48 PM. Reason: more

Articles

FFXIV Character

Nope (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Hosted the Ciddies

I really enjoyed the episode, it wasn't what I was expecting and it was very different straight away from the first season. I like all of the characters and I'm intrigued by all of them. My favourite part was when Farrell told that kid he was going to buttsmurf his dad with his headless mom's corpse.

What the bliff Recognized Member
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Episode 1 was terribly boring. I have yet to watch episode 2 but I'm hoping it picks up.