Thread: Beer thread

Recognized Member Scotty_ffgamer's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Scotty Ffgamer (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

I keep seeing this thread and thinking it says "bear thread", but it wasn't until I actually clicked on it earlier today that I realized what forum it was in and what it actually said. I really wanted to quote the "Bears, beets, Battle Star Galactica" conversation from The Office, but that's no longer relevant.

I've never liked the smell of any beer I've been around, and that turns me off from drinking beer quite a bit. I have tried a sip of New Castle once, and I wasn't a fan. The acquired taste thing has never made me feel like drinking more of it, either. If it's something I don't enjoy now, I don't think it's worth drinking it until I start to like it.

*permanently smitten*
    A Vey Good Friend
    Blog Entries

Grin

I've had some nice PNW beers - Bridgeport in Portland, Pike Place Market in Seattle, Kulshan or Boundary Bay in Bellingham. The occasional beer is nice, but for me they are too filling to enjoy very regularly. I prefer very light beers like wheat or wit or the odd IPA.

FFXIV Character

Sealth Greenwood (Sargatanas)

The PNW is really the best spot in America to enjoy a frosty pint of beer. Iron Horse Brewery in Ellensburg, Washington puts out a springtime brew called Double Rainbow. Citrusy aroma and very fruit forward with a malty and hoppy aftertaste. Best beer in the known universe. Silver medal goes to Silver City Ridgetop Red. Not very hoppy and extremely smooth.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by Scotty_ffgamer View Post
    I keep seeing this thread and thinking it says "bear thread"
    *Goes off to make bear thread*

Blood In The Water sharkythesharkdogg's Avatar

I came in here to give Hobgoblin some love, but I see that's been taken care of.

There's local brewery, Highlands Brewery, that makes some really good ones. I enjoy their Oatmeal Porter, and Gaelic Ale.

As for the really big ones, I enjoy Guinness, Yuengling, Bass Pale Ale, Negro Modelo, and New Castle.

For those people wanting to try a Guinness style beer, but perhaps not quite so heavy, you should look at Xingu.

It pours dark, has a rich head, and is incredibly smooth. It has a nice sweet aroma, but even though it looks the part, has a much lighter body than most dark beers. It's refreshing.
    Last edited by sharkythesharkdogg; 03-12-2014 at 03:53 PM.

I LOVE CRAFT BEAR.

Had a nice little tasting at my place before seeing Dr. Dog last night. This Jolly Pumpkin ale was one of the highlights:

I had a bottle of this last year, too. It was from a previous batch and was aged much longer than the current one I tried last night. The bottle conditioning diminished the pumpkin flavors; but the newer one I just had still contained the spice. A puckering-sour start with a balanced, sweet and spicy finish. This Michigan brewery never disappoints!

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Is that the actual size of the bottle as well?

I'm getting one.

Imgur be blowin' bottles up.

It is a 750 ml bottle. And for ~$11, it is an amazing value. I need to go buy a few more to stash away!

Ghost 'n' Stuff NorthernChaosGod's Avatar
    Blog Entries

This my favorite beer: Stone Imperial Russian Stout. I usually try and get a couple of bottles once its released or any time I can make it up the actual brewery.

I don't get the hate for cheap beer like Miller or Coors though, it's flavorless but still gets you drunk. I'd rather play a drinking game with that over a good beer.

Blog Entries

I love beer, I can be a snob, wits are fantastic, drinking brew from a local brewpub or friend's batch is preferable, but Nookie Brown is alright, Sam's is alright, and Kirin is great with ramen. I got to lay off the hops because my stomach is delicate, like a pretty princess, and the acid upsets her.

Articles
    Contributions
    • Former Administrator
    • Former Developer
    • Former Tech Admin

More beers that I like:

Young's Double Chocolate Stout | Our Ales | Wells and Young's Brewing Company

Old Rasputin - Imperial Stout

Ninkasi » Brewing Company - This is a tiny brewery near where I used to live, but they've been getting popular and I can even find it in Canada now. Their beer is reeeeeeeeeally hoppy. Almost too hoppy for me. It's good now and then.

Beer can definitely be an acquired taste. I didn't like it at first. Same for all alcohol really though.

Quote Originally Posted by Rantz
    My favourite "big" beer brands that are available all over include Innis & Gunn
    Innis & Gunn is great on tap.

Quote Originally Posted by magemasher
    When I was in Canada I had an amazing beer called Kokanee gold, I would drink it every day if they sold it over here, I drank so much of that over two weeks.
    That's fairly popular around here. I don't remember it being very exciting, but yay Canada.

Quote Originally Posted by starlet
    going to a brewery and getting a sampler to try a few new beers is usually a guaranteed good night out for me.
    Yeah! That's good advise. Most good bars or breweries have a sampler pack, tiny little glasses of 6 or 8 kinds of beer. It's a great way to do some exploration and see what you like. Better to split with a friend so you don't have to drink the ones you hate.

Articles
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by Jowy View Post
    The PNW is really the best spot in America to enjoy a frosty pint of beer. Iron Horse Brewery in Ellensburg, Washington puts out a springtime brew called Double Rainbow. Citrusy aroma and very fruit forward with a malty and hoppy aftertaste. Best beer in the known universe. Silver medal goes to Silver City Ridgetop Red. Not very hoppy and extremely smooth.
    I was asked to order a sampler pack from Iron Horse as a gift to someone in our corporate office! I haven't tried any myself, but the Irish Death was recommended to me when I was ordering. (I will probably never drink it because I will always prefer gin over ordering beer.)

Blog Entries

My number one favourite beer of all time is Samuel Adam's "Utopias". However... that particular beer can hardly even be called a beer at all, since it's 25% and actually more similar to a really good Sherry or Cognac (but still different) than any other beer. It's also in a more similar price class to those two than other beers, so yeah. But its quality certainly is enough to live up to the price tag.

That one aside, some of my favourites are Lost Abbey+Brewdog's "Lost Dog" Imperial Porter, Weyerbacher's "Heresy", "Rigor Mortis" by the very unique Canadian brewery Dieu du Ciel and I recently discovered a new fav-contender in North Coast Brewing's "Old Stock Ale".

I usually attend the "Stockholm Beer and Whiskey Festival" which is being held in october every year close to where I live, though I have yet to go to Germany during the octoberfest - something I'd like to do at least once.

I also brew my own beer as well. Right now, I'm on my 5th beer project. My last one - a double bock - was easily the best I've made so far and I was really happy with the result. My current project is a porter, and I think I'll try out making an IPA next after that.

Articles
    Contributions
    • Former Administrator
    • Former Developer
    • Former Tech Admin

Speaking of unique Canadian breweries: Unibroue | La Fin du Monde I think this stuff is freaking horrible, but it's definitely unique and my spouse likes it a lot.

A Big Deal? Recognized Member Big D's Avatar
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

I'm all about the strong, flavoursome stouts and porters. Can't beat a hearty chocolate oatmeal stout on a winter evening.

If you ever get the chance to try anything from Renaissance Brewery in New Zealand, then I can't recommend them enough. They cater to basically all tastes, and produce a superb quality craft beer at a fair price.