Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Beer thread

Famine Wolf Recognized Member Sephex's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

I'm not a big fan of beer, but a buddy of mine usually buys some seasonal stuff that I can dig for a bottle or two. I am more of a hard liquor guy, myself. Like Unne said at the start of this thread, most beer is just so terrible tasting to me. It feels like I am drinking liquid mold.

Quote Originally Posted by Ultima Shadow View Post

That one aside, some of my favourites are Lost Abbey+Brewdog's "Lost Dog" Imperial Porter, Weyerbacher's "Heresy", "Rigor Mortis" by the very unique Canadian brewery Dieu du Ciel and I recently discovered a new fav-contender in North Coast Brewing's "Old Stock Ale".
    Speaking of Lost Abbey...

What the bliff Recognized Member
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

When I bother to drink piss water, I drink Bud Light. Before you say, "how American of you", I know. I'm also a fan of Smuttynose beers. I forget which flavor it was, but it was really good light brew.

Blog Entries

If someone offers me a free beer I'll take whatever I get. If I do buy beer it's usually go for the cheapest dark beer available (usually tooheys old), especially if Im getting a pack because then I can offer it to people and seem friendly but they wont actually take any as people in my age group tend to dislike dark beer.
    Kefka's coming, look intimidating!
    Have a nice day!!

I watched some college basketball last night and had some standards from New Belgium Brewing. Ranger IPA, Might Arrow pale ale and Fat Tire.

I toured the brewery in Fort Collins, CO last month. Their back story is amazing and they truly revolutionized the craft beer industry in the United States.

Articles
    Blog Entries

I was kind of raised with a stigma on alcohol and still to this day has never tried any alcoholic beverages. I was going to buy some when I turned 21 to celebrate my independence and for the sake of trying something new but I chickened out by the time I got to the bar. My only experience with booze is from TV, which I'm sure is grossly inaccurate, and what people have told me about it tasting either like piss or medicine. I'd ask the former how they know what piss taste like but I don't want to know.

However, I have been made aware that there is such a thing as an alcoholic chocolate shake. I would very much like to try that.

absolutely haram Recognized Member Madame Adequate's Avatar

FFXIV Character

Hiero Dule (Brynhildr)
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Let me tell you a story of beer.

When I was younger, I always heard the lines about how terrible American beer is. I also sometimes drank Bud or Coors and found it pretty okay, so I wasn't sure what was going on there, I assumed it was just Bongistani parochialism. Well, then I tried some of that stuff in America and it turned out to be absolutely hideously vile and undrinkable, and it got poured down the sink. Presumably something's different in the ingredients and/or brewing, but damn.

However, a couple years ago when I first visited Pike, I tried some stuff made by Big Sky Brewing and Moose Drool and Trout Slayer are, without question, the best beers I've ever had. It's even better than Hobgoblin and Manus is 100% right about how great Hobgoblin is.

Bud and Coors are gross, but America has re-invented the craft beer industry. I can't even believe how many new breweries have sprouted up across the country in the past two years.

I love it! Cheers! Where are a lot of you from? I've never seen so many Hobgoblin fans in one setting!

Articles
    Contributions
    • Former Administrator
    • Former Developer
    • Former Tech Admin

I think I had Moose Drool once, bought on account of the name. I don't remember hating it, so I probably liked it. I'll have to try it again if I see it.

Quote Originally Posted by Moogle Chrome View Post
    Bud and Coors are gross, but America has re-invented the craft beer industry. I can't even believe how many new breweries have sprouted up across the country in the past two years.
    Yeah. My hope is that sooner or later, "American Beer" stops meaning mass-marketed stuff and starts meaning microbrews. When I go shopping for beer, there's refrigerator after refrigerator of good beer on display, and a few dusty cases of Coors hidden in the back corner.

I've seen Hobgoblin in Oregon and in Canada where I live now. Didn't thrill me when I tried it, but it came with a cool pint glass.

Quote Originally Posted by ToriJ
    I was kind of raised with a stigma on alcohol and still to this day has never tried any alcoholic beverages. I was going to buy some when I turned 21 to celebrate my independence and for the sake of trying something new but I chickened out by the time I got to the bar. My only experience with booze is from TV, which I'm sure is grossly inaccurate, and what people have told me about it tasting either like piss or medicine. I'd ask the former how they know what piss taste like but I don't want to know.
    I was anti-alcohol for most of my life. I didn't have a sip of alcohol until I was 25. Barring a few exceptional occasions, I don't drink to get drunk out of my mind. I drink it because it's tasty, and it has a very mild relaxing effect. Think one beer in the evening or a pint with dinner. I drink because I have a very hard time relaxing in other people's company, and it helps. Or maybe I trick myself into thinking it helps, but either way, it works. You can certainly drink until you pass out and puke on yourself, but that's not all there is to alcohol. As in most things, TV is a pretty poor representation of life.

Nothing against anyone who opts to go teetotaler. It's a valid choice.

tech spirit
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Mirage Askai (Sargatanas)

Quote Originally Posted by ToriJ View Post

However, I have been made aware that there is such a thing as an alcoholic chocolate shake. I would very much like to try that.
    If you've never had alcohol before, I can imagine doing it for the first time in a bar would be a bit scary. Try drinking a bottle of something while watching a movie, or even playing a game one time. Get used to how alcohol affects you before you interact with tons of strangers while on it. While some (many) drink just to get drunk, there's a fair amount of people who just really enjoy the taste, and the function as a social lubricant is just a really good coincidence.

There's just a very broad range of tastes found in brewed drinks that you won't find in other beverages. Tasting a new beer is really quite exciting.
    everything is wrapped in gray
    i'm focusing on your image
    can you hear me in the void?

Eggstreme Wheelie Recognized Member Jiro's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Editor
    • Notable contributions to former community wiki

As unAustralian as it is, I'm not the biggest beer fan. But Trout Slayer was pretty dang great, and I've had Sapporo a few times now and that's... alright, as far as beers go. I steer clear of the traditional Aussie beers like XXXX and VB because they are pretty bleh, and the Bud/Corrs I had in the US was probably worse. Flavourless bile if you're lucky.

They see me rolling. They hating, patrolling.
    Trying to catch me riding dirty.