Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: The Xenosaga Topic of 2014

But the battle system IS that bad. Fights take FOREVER. I desperately wanted to avoid encounters through the entire second half of the game. Bosses, fine, whatever, they can take a long time. Random soldier guys on the way shouldn't take nearly as long as they did, and I shouldn't have to worry about trying to abuse the combo system to defeat peons (and you do, if you want to get through them with any speed at all).

Posts Occur in Real Time edczxcvbnm's Avatar

Xenosaga 2 is a horrible horrible game. Every aspect of that game took a massive step in the wrong direction.

As Spuuky said, the battles with even normal guys take forever. It takes so long that you want to avoid battles by and large. The bad news (but kind of good) is that you can practically do just that and be fine. The battle system is so flawed that a simple strategy pretty much guarantees that you will never die. I can't remember what it was but I never lost a battle after I figured it out. It made the battles really drag on but it isn't like they were remotely short in the first place :/

smurf this game. Thankfully the third one was much better with the exception of Shion who took a major step backwards :/

Shion took a step backward as a human being but a step forward as a character. Her heel-turn was pivotal to the entire game.

I would agree with the assessment that, while Shion definitely became more unlikable, her emotionally and mentally falling apart and clinging to the past with Kevin is realistic enough. Besides, the writers KNEW what they were doing. We all have seen cases of unintentionally bad written characters where the writer probably thought they were oh so amazing. But remember we actually get the chance to beat some sense into Shion in a mini-boss battle. The developers knew what was up.

Uploaded all Allen's dialogue in Episode 1 and got this as a result for most common words:

I was inspired by somebody doing the same for Grahf:

Ugh, why would you pick Episode 1 Allen of all available characters? What a putz.

Crazy Scot. Cid's Knight Shauna's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Sheetle Bug (Twintania)

Us Europeans were lucky to only have Episode II released to us. Way to go publishers.

Quote Originally Posted by Spuuky View Post
    Ugh, why would you pick Episode 1 Allen of all available characters? What a putz.
    'cuz he's hilarious!

He's wearing a swimsuit from like the 1920s but 4000 years in the future.

Speaking of swimsuits...

That's not appropriate Shion. I don't think KOS-MOS can consent.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Fynnek Zoryasch (Twintania)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by Forsaken Lover View Post
    Speaking of swimsuits...

That's not appropriate Shion. I don't think KOS-MOS can consent.
    Lewd.

Total Sweetheart
    Articles
    Blog Entries

Albedo's great. Nothing says maniacal like a guy who severs his own head and then taunts you with it.

I was really happy for Allen in Episode III. Finalllllly he stands up for himself! And it's an awesome scene. I also liked that at one point you got to use him as a guest party member.

My favorite villain was Virgil. I'm so happy they brought him back and fleshed out a good back story for him.

Shion looked best in Episode 1. It's actually a very unique look for a female anime heroine. She's not really that attractive...more nerdy and awkward than anything. Plus barely any bust. It's all in the trunk if you remember the numerous ass-shots she got in the game.

Then in EP3 she...she doesn't even have a zipper for those shorts...

Not that Episode 1 was perfect in designs. chaos' booty shorts are...yeah. And some don't like MOMO's Magical Girl attire.

I will give EP3 props - the designer does hentai so that's where his mind was at most of the time but he did give jin an awesome redesign. EP2 Jin was too stereotypical for my taste.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Fynnek Zoryasch (Twintania)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

I kinda like the space hooker outfit, but yeah, dat zipper... But yeah, episode 1 did Shion best. It's also weird how her hair started out dark blonde and then became brown after that

Memento Mori Site Contributor Wolf Kanno's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

I kind of feel like Shion's design deteriorated as the series went, whereas chaos' outfits got progressively better.

KOS-MOS was always a hit or miss with me. I love her Eps.1 attire and her first outfit in Eps.3 even if it was a bit too risque for my taste. Never cared for her Eps.2 or final outfit.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Pumpkin Contrary (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

I like both of KOS-MOS's outfits in III. Overall III had my favorite designs. I feel like they did a good job of blending the first 2 games. I did like Shion's I outfit more, though. I think MOMO's was great in III and they went back to something more similar to chaos's original outfit, but minus the absurd short shorts.