Thread: Tomb Raider

Steve Steve Steve Steve Iceglow's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Default Tomb Raider

Ok so, I've finally gotten round to playing this game. Which means that yes, I missed the buzz the first time round. Anyway, figured I'd like to share a few thoughts with y'all and maybe discuss it now I've had a chance to play.

First up, yes' Lara sounds like she's getting frisky in a kinky way when struggling. Though the story so far has been pretty great, though it's kinda "Never go anywhere with Lara if you want to live, but listen to her too because otherwise you're smurfed" even when characters like Roth apparently not only know her father but are experienced in adventuring with him. I'm guessing I'm pretty deep in as most of the cast are dead and I've fixed the boat to get to the chamber.

Currently I've been backtracking on a few areas, trying to build up my bow a fair bit by finding relics and salvage. Presently I have all the upgrades available for my pistol, I lack the final pistol weapon itself though which adds a final upgrade. I also have everything but napalm and explosive arrows which means I'm not quite Rambo in Rambo 3 yet but getting pretty close.

I'm not sure multi-player is going to be my kind of thing, which is a shame as sadly SE and Crystal Dynamics believed putting multi-player achievements in was a good idea. It wasn't, it never is when you're dealing with huge story driven games like Tomb Raider. Even when I've not tried it I can tell the mechanics will flow horribly and not work well. I'm not quite thinking of Resident Evil 5's versus mode bad but I'm thinking close to that. I would have been more interested in a multi-player mode similar to that in Farcry 3 where you can have 4 people playing as a squad of survivors trying to survive/escape the island where single player takes place.

In fact, that'd be epic with Tomb Raiders rich history and the fact that the single player campaign would lend itself to it as multi-player being the story of the Endurance crew when Lara isn't with them (which is 90% of the game!) Alas in a short sighted mistake CD and SE decided "NO! We want versus!"

I've been playing it recently with my girlfriend, and it's very epic. We like it! We're trying not to skip anything, but we're not really going out of our way to 100% the game - I don't think it really interests us enough to do it.

I'm kind of excited about the possibilities of where the series will go, and hopefully to more interesting places providing more history and mythology (Egypt, Vatican City, Middle East maybe).

"... and so I close, realizing that perhaps the ending has not yet been written."

Feel the Bern Administrator Del Murder's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Administrator
    • Hosted the Ciddies

I heard that the HD remake was pretty beautiful. Are you guys playing that version or the original? Either way, I hear a lot of great things about this game. You should check out Locky's review from a while back, it was very well done.

Proud to be the Unofficial Secret Illegal Enforcer of Eyes on Final Fantasy!
    When I grow up, I want to go to Bovine Trump University! - Ralph Wiggum

Quote Originally Posted by Del Murder View Post
    I heard that the HD remake was pretty beautiful. Are you guys playing that version or the original? Either way, I hear a lot of great things about this game. You should check out Locky's review from a while back, it was very well done.
    I'm assuming the latest series-reboot. But the HD remake was pretty good from what I had played of it.

"... and so I close, realizing that perhaps the ending has not yet been written."

Articles
    Blog Entries

I've heard nothing but good things so far, but I still haven't gotten around to playing this game yet. I'm hoping eventually they put the twin pistols on her. Lara just isn't the same without her signature weapon.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ToriJ View Post
    I've heard nothing but good things so far, but I still haven't gotten around to playing this game yet. I'm hoping eventually they put the twin pistols on her. Lara just isn't the same without her signature weapon.
    Well she does seem to get a new signature weapon in the form of the bow. (SPOILER)When Roth dies, he does give her dual tactical pistols. However, she immediately gives one to Reyes (Roth's now bereaved girlfriend who seemingly takes his death very well) so that she can protect the group. I find it funny that most of the time, they seem unarmed despite the fact that all these soldiers and fanatics around the game are carrying weapons and Lara leaves a death toll in the thousands behind her)

Eggstreme Wheelie Recognized Member Jiro's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Editor
    • Notable contributions to former community wiki

That game was good. Not perfect by any stretch but I had a really good time playing. Real solid effort. I don't remember what else I thought about it because I played it in one sitting while drinking vodka. That river rapids bit was painful. So gruesome.

They see me rolling. They hating, patrolling.
    Trying to catch me riding dirty.

Blog Entries

There really are a lot of gory, gruesome death scenes in that game, actually dying to enemy fire is the least gory way to die despite the fact that you've just had a large number of machine gun rounds put in to you by them.

Articles
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Iceglow View Post
    Well she does seem to get a new signature weapon in the form of the bow. (SPOILER)When Roth dies, he does give her dual tactical pistols. However, she immediately gives one to Reyes (Roth's now bereaved girlfriend who seemingly takes his death very well) so that she can protect the group. I find it funny that most of the time, they seem unarmed despite the fact that all these soldiers and fanatics around the game are carrying weapons and Lara leaves a death toll in the thousands behind her)
    I can dig the bow.

Haha I was surprised when the game was rated M. I'm not used to my Tomb Raiding getting any higher than a T.

It's also the (SPOILER) very last boss that you don the dual pistol action (right and left click), which was pretty darn cool. But I love her and the bow, I used that the most.

Guys it's $5 on Steam right now, get it! So worth it!

Articles
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Rostum View Post
    It's also the (SPOILER) very last boss that you don the dual pistol action (right and left click), which was pretty darn cool. But I love her and the bow, I used that the most.

Guys it's $5 on Steam right now, get it! So worth it!
    This spoiler pleases me greatly.

Play till the end