Recognized Member Scotty_ffgamer's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Scotty Ffgamer (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Default Lines and Dialogue That Makes You Cringe

As much as I enjoy FFX, I've been reminded of how many things Tidus in particular will say that makes me cringe. These kinds of lines probably existed in older FF games, but I think the move to including voice acting in this game helped to kind of highlight some of the more awkward things people say. Two I've encountered so far in this play through:

"I made it out of the frying pan... and into the freezer!"

"Crews of what?"

Articles
    Blog Entries

I can't remember any specific lines since it's been a while since I played, but I remember the moment where he's making a fool of himself in public at Luca that made me cringe and feel embarrassed for the party. I just can't remember what he said exactly.

FFXIV Character

Efes Ephesus (Adamantoise)

The Macarena reference made me roll my eyes.

The only things that have really made me cringe so far is how there are moments where the voice actors were seemingly directed to overact, especially in the case of Tidus. There are a handful of moments where he'll do this forced laughter thing (and no, I don't mean that scene where it was intentional) or hill do this frustrated grunting thing. Those kind of make me cringe because they seem so unnecessary and out of place.
    I like Kung-Fu.

No line of dialog makes me cringe as much as when Tidus leans in and starts sniffing Auron. Like, seriously dude.

Famine Wolf Recognized Member Sephex's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

"Before that, we are going to pray at the temple of Djoseeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!"

Just played that part today. She sounds way too cheery after the horrors they just witnessed. I get that Yuna is trying to be strong in the face of such hopelessness and chaos, but she sounded like a kid that was told she could have unlimited candy or something.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Pumpkin Contrary (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by Sephex View Post
    "Before that, we are going to pray at the temple of Djoseeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!"

Just played that part today. She sounds way too cheery after the horrors they just witnessed. I get that Yuna is trying to be strong in the face of such hopelessness and chaos, but she sounded like a kid that was told she could have unlimited candy or something.
    That was actually one of my favorite lines by her

Famine Wolf Recognized Member Sephex's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by shion View Post

That was actually one of my favorite lines by her
    It would have been fine earlier in the game. It's more of the context and timing of the line, combined with how she says it.

Quote Originally Posted by Forsaken Lover View Post
    No line of dialog makes me cringe as much as when Tidus leans in and starts sniffing Auron. Like, seriously dude.
    To be fair, Auron probably smells like a brewery, so I would definitely give him a good sniff too.

When I think of dialogue that is cringe worthy, the very first thing that comes to mind is the laughing scene with Tidus and Yuna. How unique of me to mention that, I know, but still.

Tidus: Now what's our goal?

Aurochs: TO DO OUR BEST!

They're like a frickin' kindergarten tee-ball team or something. I guess a decade without a single victory would make anyone aim for "doing their best" but you have to wonder if they just had no concept of what victory was before Tidus came along and that's why they always lose.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Fynnek Zoryasch (Twintania)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

It's not exactly a writing issue, but a voice acting one.

"EAST BLOCK IN THE FRONT ROW!!!"

My ears bleed every time I hear it.

Articles
    Blog Entries

I remember that line. *chuckles* I'm sorry, it's just so goofy I can't help but laugh.

The scene when you reach the first Rin Travel Agency. Where Tidus is talking to Yuna about Sin and the Calm.

I can't remember it exactly, but it was something like:

"What was it we did that was so bad? ...Oh, was it using lots of machina or something like that? Oh. ...Wait, was that really so bad?"

It just felt wrong. The tone and dialogue don't match up. In that one bit, he shifts through three different states. From cluelessness, to understanding that it was the machina, to questioning it. It happened way too fast to feel natural. If it had happened that fast, the reaction wouldn't have been bemused questioning, it would have been a lot more serious and intense, closer to Wakka's reaction on the S.S.Liki. "What, you mean Sin's killing everyone for something that happened a thousand years ago?! Are you sure?" That scene just never really felt right to me. Although it is all a writing and directing issue, not a voice acting one.
    My friend Delzethin is currently running a GoFundMe account to pay for some extended medical troubles he's had. He's had chronic issues and lifetime troubles that have really crippled his career opportunities, and he's trying to get enough funding to get back to a stable medical situation. If you like his content, please support his GoFundMe, or even just contribute to his Patreon.

He can really use a hand with this, and any support you can offer is appreciated.

This could be Dangerous! Carl the Llama's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Legendary Hero (Sargatanas)

"Sin is Come" - Random Al Bhed at the start of the game, didn't realise at first till I was just showing off FFX on the PS2 to my nephew who I was giving the game to now I had it on the PS3. All these years and I never realized because I never really bothered reading the subtitles, but I didn't know if can could read that quickly so I was reading them out to him and bam "Sin is come".

Quote Originally Posted by Carl the Llama View Post
    "Sin is Come" - Random Al Bhed at the start of the game, didn't realise at first till I was just showing off FFX on the PS2 to my nephew who I was giving the game to now I had it on the PS3. All these years and I never realized because I never really bothered reading the subtitles, but I didn't know if can could read that quickly so I was reading them out to him and bam "Sin is come".
    It's hardly the only oddity in Al Bhed.

That said, did anyone notice the incorrect subtitles for Wakka's inscription at the tournament? When the game against the Goers first starts, and Wakka and Lulu are there together, there's an inscription on the wall, and then subtitles, supposedly translating it. I actually paused it and took a go at reading it this time, and I found that the subtitles don't match up.

Subtitles:
    My fondest memories are here. Wakaa, Captain of the Aurochs

Actual:
    To my childhood dreams, farewell. Captain Wakka, Besaid Aurochs
    My friend Delzethin is currently running a GoFundMe account to pay for some extended medical troubles he's had. He's had chronic issues and lifetime troubles that have really crippled his career opportunities, and he's trying to get enough funding to get back to a stable medical situation. If you like his content, please support his GoFundMe, or even just contribute to his Patreon.

He can really use a hand with this, and any support you can offer is appreciated.

Enjoy The Silence FallenSilence's Avatar

Tidus: She said something about going to Macarena Temple.
    Wakka: Macalania.
    Tidus: Aye! (in a super-high pitched voice that actually HURTS.)

Also, after he's told about Yuna's heritage and is specifically instructed NOT to tell Wakka - what's the first thing he says?

"I gotta tell Wakka!"

I hate Tidus. So much.
    Should've Done Something
    But I've Done It Enough
    By The Way Your Hands Were Shaking
    Rather Waste My Time With You

Should've Said Something
    But I've Said It Enough
    By The Way My Words Were Faded
    Rather Waste My Time With You