Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: Fynn's doodles

Master of the Fork Cid's Knight Freya's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Freya Meow (Sargatanas)

I love your eyebrows. I've always neglected them but you're showing me how important they are to help with the entire theme of the characters.

TALK TO ME ABOUT NOSES. I always end up drawing the same type of nose for my characters. I'm not sure how people figure out how to do more eccentric noses and it look good.

Do you find the grid paper helps with shaping? I often have an issue with proportions.

SHOW ME MORE OF YOUR WAYS

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Fynnek Zoryasch (Twintania)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by Freya View Post
    I love your eyebrows. I've always neglected them but you're showing me how important they are to help with the entire theme of the characters.

TALK TO ME ABOUT NOSES. I always end up drawing the same type of nose for my characters. I'm not sure how people figure out how to do more eccentric noses and it look good.

Do you find the grid paper helps with shaping? I often have an issue with proportions.

SHOW ME MORE OF YOUR WAYS
    I never thought about the grid paper helping, since I just used whatever I was using for class, but I guess yeah, there might actually be something to it. It does make faces somewhat easier to manage.

When it comes to noses, all I can tell you is keep experimenting, see what works.I also had that problem and although I can make some distinct noses, I also keep to a couple set patterns mostly. I always try to find ways to minimize lines, so that the facial features become a bit more light. So I guess that's my main tip - try to find shapes that feel and look right, and then try to reduce the lines a bit, see if that helps you achieve a more desire able look.

And yes, eyebrows are super important. As you may have noticed, a lot of my characters have really thick eyebrows. Not only can you arrange them differently for more expressions, but their shape alone can really influence how you perceive a given character. Like with noses - I advise you to keep experimenting with eyebrows

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Pumpkin Contrary (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

I like your tutorials

Master of the Fork Cid's Knight Freya's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Freya Meow (Sargatanas)

I tried to not so much follow his exact tutorial the other day but his style, btw other eoffers, this is how it turned out.

It's Bones McCoy from Star Trek. I showed fynn and he suggested to post it here. I really liked the step by step he goes through and it clicked a bit better in my head thanks to that. Mine is still not nearly as cute and polished as Fynns but I do enjoy the style!

Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Galina Astrum (Ragnarok)

I tried to not so much follow his exact tutorial the other day but his style, btw other eoffers, this is how it turned out.

It's Bones McCoy from Star Trek. I showed fynn and he suggested to post it here. I really liked the step by step he goes through and it clicked a bit better in my head thanks to that. Mine is still not nearly as cute and polished as Fynns but I do enjoy the style!
    cool pic Mrs freya i hope you and Fynn continuo to draw great pictures

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

Don't sell yourself short He turned out really cute, and IMO the best part is that, despite the stylized look you gave him, you can still clearly see who it is! And that's really something

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

So here's something I've been dying to do for a long time but lacked the capacity - a group picture of the Crosswords gang. I'm not that satisfied since it's still far away from my vision, and I still suck at coloring with pencils only, but I'm still glad I finally got them together (and got to pracitce their alternative outfits ). So what do you think?

Oh, and the characters are (from left to right): Jess, Leo, Ian, Freddie, Brandi, Martin and Mia. Let me know what you think of each and the group as a whole, if you'd be so kind

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

So I've recently written another chapter of Crosswords. To make it easier for my tumblr followers to remember the characters, I drew full color portraits of them all. Also, at some point I started to have a color coded for each of them, I don't even know why.

So first comes Leo, the narrator/main protagonist. His color is green. I wanted him to look youthful and boyish, kind of naive, even. i know this image may clash for some of my readers, since I never gave a proper description of him, but this is at least how I see him

Next up is Jess. Her color is white. She's kind of spunky and assertive, though the look I gave her was intended more Zoey Deschanel-ish. I still can't do even bangs right, but what the hay, practice makes perfect, amirite?

Next comes Ian, whose color is sky blue. I've already talked at length about the intricacies of his design. He's a bit of a cloudcuckoolander, but the main idea behind his look is that he's supposed to be nice and warm. And yes, that is a Triforce on his t-shirt. Don't get me started on the plaid shirt...

Freddie's coded color is magenta, mostly because I once had this dream where a weird voice said that magenta is the manliest color Still, as Ian's partner, he's supposed to be a kind of a foil to him, being more grounded in reality, but at the same time, even though he swears and looks like a tough guy, he's just as sweet.

Up next is Brandi whose color is a deep, dark purple. Feminine, tough and collected are the main traits I had in mind when designing her. I wanted her to look like someone who remains calm at any situation, but at the same time is a person who is really open and earnest with friends. She's also meant to look pretty similar to Leo, since they're related, albeit distantly.

Here's Mia in yellow. She's one of my personal favorite designs! I designed her as someone of a mixed Caucasian/East-Asian heritage, and I wanted her to look really headstrong, as she's the character that is most likely to remain patient and keep striving to achieve her goal no matter how much she fails. I hope she looks (and turns out in the story!) as driven as I want her to be.

Last comes Martin. For some reason, I coded him with my personal favorite color - Indigo. He's supposed to come off as someone very cold and distant, with a hint of quite a crazy sense of humor underneath. For some reason, he turned out looking like one of my real life friends

Articles
    Blog Entries

I like it. I never associated the Crosswords characters with any particular images, they were always just kinda names for me, so seeing them drawn is pretty nice.

Those are all really well done Fynn. I like how distinct and different they all are.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

So my mind has recently been flirting with this idea of a visual novel. I've put some basic character sketches in the quick sketch thread, so now I'll post some more refined character portrait doodles

The story would take place in Hawaii and would be a slice of life/mystery hybrid (for now at least). I was thinking of a choice between a male and female protagonist. Here's the male protagonist, Kenta.

Here's another character, Dakota. A possible love interest to the female protagonist, Naomi. He would play a much larger role in her route. I see him as this alluring surfer dude. I think he might be fun someday. He accidentally looks very similar to Kenta. Might make the brothers.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Pumpkin Contrary (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

Looks good. They look kind of similar actually

Articles
    Blog Entries

I do approve of your idea

They look quite similar, yeah. Although the facial expressions give them two rather distinct auras.

Blog Entries

These are all incredibly well done, and super creative designs and great tutorials. I like the Eden and Crosswords ensembles a lot. Marvelous digital colouring too. It takes a lot to make the shades when colouring a drawn image in. I know that from past experiences. Still, you've some beautiful and handsome fellows and furries on here. I look forward to seeing more of your astonishing creations, Fynn! Great work!

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

Here's another character, Geoff. I conceived him as the main protahonists's best friend since childhood, regardless of the chosen gender. He's also a potential love interest for either gender. Either way, whether it's Kenta or Naomi, Geoff loves them (either platonically or romantically) and will remain a staunch ally no matter what happens. At least, that's the way I see it now. His hair is red, by the way, with green eyes, while Kenta and Dakota were both black-haired and brown-eyed.