Page 1 of 23 12345671121 ... LastLast

Thread: Knights are the best job class, and I am prepared to defend that statement.

Jay Ayanami

Well, they are the best in conjuction with other classes.

Does anyone *dare* disagree?

Plates on your ass, d00d. thornwithin's Avatar

I dare to disagree. Samurai can use almost as much armor, can deal almost as much damage per sword, and have a waaaay cooler special ability. Draw Out is incredibly versatile once you get all the swords--you can heal, cast protect/shell, damage in a radius, or damage from afar in a straight line. Compare this to the Knight abilities...breaking stuff. For one thing, those abilities are useless vs. monsters, and for another why not just use Meliadoul or T.G.Cid's sword skills to break _and_ deal damage in one action, from a range.

the only possible way Knights could be the best class is in the support abilities you can learn, but that doesn't really make a best class...just a class you _temporarily_ equip to augment your cool job.
    Hold my breath as I wish for death...
    Oh please God, help me!!!

Consider you a figment of my imagination, but will you ever go away?
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Forgive me Father, for I have sinned. Find me guilty when true guilt is from within.
    I am the Thorn Within.

Yep. Thornwithin's right.

A Samurai is pretty similar to the Knight, but he can also do much more (heal, attack from a distance Haste, Regen, Protect, and Shell himself and his party members).

Also, a Lancer is a beefed-up version of a Knight. He has greater range and is the Knight's equal in equips

I like knights, but Samauri are better. I think the Ninjas are good, but the HP and lack of powerful weapons is sad.
    --It's me!--

Jay Ayanami

Default Bwahaha! You are all wrong!

Okay...I guess I will give away my secret. And you will agree...Knights are the best (incidentally, I was talking about the regular job classes, not things like Holy Knight or anything).

Oh, and by the way, I am very cocky when it comes to FFT. I love the game and probably put more time in it than most people do.

MY TEAM:
    excluding special job classes

5 knights, equipped with...

Secondary skill set: Calculator Skills.
    Reaction skill set: Counter Attack.
    Support skill set: Two swords.
    Movement skill set: Move + 3

and...

Right hand: Excalibur.
    Left hand: Chaos Blade.
    Head: Grand Helmet.
    Body: Maximillian.
    Acessory: Germinias Boots, Speed Shoes, Magic Glove, or Genji Glove.

Now do you see what I am getting at?

This team cannot die.

All you have to do is cast "Level Three Holy" over and over again. All my people will be hit by the spell because they are all on level 99. The Excalibur absorbs Holy, so it will heal you while doing damage to your enemy.

Other things to consider:

> They have high HP, given their equipment, which adds 350 HP alone. They also do not have to waste ability slots because they inherently equip high level armor and swords.
    > Regardless of how many MP they have, "Level Three Holy" can be cast infinitely because it requires no MP.
    > The Excalibur adds haste, so they are a fast unit. Also, they can still use Calculator abilities without the speed defecit.
    > They magic deals a fair amount of damage if you trained them as magic users. The Magic Glove and Genji Glove also raise Magic Attack Power.
    > As if that were not enough, in a case where they cannot rely on magic, they can still attack for two hits, one from an Excalibur, the other from a Chaos Blade. That alone is enough to cripple most units.

So, as you can see, nothing really poses a threat to them, except for perhaps Ninjas with 20+ speed. Even, then, it is not a problem with the heal/attack properties of "Level Three Holy" when I fight 15 Ninjas at Araguay Woods.

BWAHAHA!

Oh yeah, and don't you go taking credit for my strategy.

^_-

I forgot to mention that if anyone hits your unit without killing it, then the unit will counter attack for a huge amount of damage (one hit from Excalibur, one hit from Chaos Blade).

(If you have anything to add to a post, please use the "Edit/Delete" button on the bottom of each of your posts. Thank you and drive safely. --BOU)

Firstly, you cannot, I repeat cannot, I repeat cannot have more than Maximillian or Grand Helmet. It's impossible. But that doesn't make much of a difference, anyway.

Also, despite the Magic Gauntlets, Knight's just aren't that good with magic. Holy would cause low damage.

You could just equip Chameleon Robes, too. They also absorb holy attacks. Even a team of Priests can render your already weak magic completely obsolete.

But, if your current job cannot equip robes, just use a party of characters with a Faith of 3. Bye-bye Holy!

A team of 3-Faith, Sentiemson and Abandon equipped Lancers would totally slaughter those poor Knights.

Contributions
    • Former Administrator
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Senior Site Staff

I don't have any fun when my characters are too powerful. *shrug*
    goku

Jay Ayanami

Default Well...

You cannot have more than one Maximillian or Grand Helmet. True. I simply stated the best member of the team. The rest of the team, I assumed you knew, would have different items. Obviously, they cannot all have Genji Gauntlets either.

Next, Knights cause enough damage with the Holy spells. Mine usually do 200+ HP worth of damage. The people are exactly the same, so 5 turns come up in a row. 5 x 200 = 1000 HP worth of damage, more HP than any PC can have. At the very least, my people do 100 - 150 HP of damage. That comes to 500 - 750 HP of damage, which is a fair amount of damage. If each character gets another turn in, that is lethal damage, as long as they did not heal. Remember, all the while, this is healing themselves.

Next, Chameleon Robes suck because they offer little HP protection, and more importantly, do not add haste. A team of preists would not stand a chance because they have too low HP and I would get my turn first Unless they were incredibly fast, my auto haste would over come them. If they tried to use Holy, they would not hurt me, and if they used Flare, it would hurt themselves even as it hurt me. With 350+ more HP, and all. I could just use "Level Three Flare" and take the damage incurred. While it would be lethal to them, I would survive, having higher HP levels.

Next, if you use a party with Faith 3, my team would still win. If I needed to cure, I would used "Level Three Holy". When I need to attack, I simply use a physical attack. Excalibur, Chaos Blade, smack. If they were hand to hand fighters, they would have to deal with a Excalibur/Chaos Blade counter attack. If they attacked from long range, one knight could stay behind and heal while the others forge onward with physical attacks. If any one happened to die, it would be a simple matter of "Level 3 Raise", followed by a "Level Three Holy". I would not have to worry about enemies ressurecting because their faith is 3.

This team is ultimate, no matter how you cut it. I have thought about it many times.

Jay Ayanami

Default I agree.

I agree. This is just my ultimate team. It is more fun to experiment with weaker characters and various job classes.

Angry

There aren't enough of those good items in the game to have all of your characters really great, like you say...

Low faith archers or Chemists would be a challenge, because they could stay far away, and the magic wouldn't have much effect.

The least powerful person would be stuck with 2 Rune blades and some lame armor. He would be really lame.

They would be suseptible to attack, because they don't have shields.

Although after Holy, there's always flare...

That party isn't as invincible as you think.
    --It's me!--

Jay Ayanami

Default Well, actually.

There are enough good items, actually.

If you go to the second to last level of the Deep Dungeon with the ability "catch" equipped, you can get Chaos Blades and Excaliburs from the Ninjas who throw high level swords.

Chemists could do nothing. They can at best attack with guns or magic as a seoncdary ability, and all the time, my Knights could be healing easily with "Level Three Holy". Calculations have no range, anyway. Archers have even less aptitude for magic than Chemists, so all the could do it attack with a bow. They would only be able to target one person at a time, and all the while the knights could work their way up to him to slash him with two swords. And one could out of range for healing.

The least powerful person would still have a Chaos Blade and an Excalibur, but only have Crystal Mail and Crystal Helmet, for a total + 230. However, that is still impressive.

Actually, my team IS invincible...

I never said the Priests could kill the Knights, I just said they'd render your magic obsolete.

Still......those Lancers would kick the crap out of your Knights. For all eternity, it seems, seeing as how those Knights would spend their time reviving their dead partners.

Lesse, you couldn't damage with magic at all. The two teams are at about the same speed, the Knights have no defenses your Counter Attack will be useless, and it's extremely difficult to hit them physically. There's a very low chance of you actually causing any damage to my Lancers.

Also, those Knights are not so powerful just cuz they're Knights. They're powerful cuz of the abilities they use from other jobs. Meaning, Knights are in fact not the best job.
    Last edited by Mwork; 04-04-2001 at 11:27 PM.

Jay Ayanami

Default As I said...

I said that Knights are the best..."in conjunction with other job classes".

Anyhow, the Lancers would not have haste, so they would be slower despite a marginally higher speed level. It only takes one Knight to revive all the other Knights, so reviving would not be a problem. At any rate, I can still rely on other spells, targeting your Lancers by other factors than 3 (or other types, like height). Aside from that, all I would have to do to raise my evade would be to equip a shield instead of the Chaos Blade. Plus, I would have access to the AT list, where you would not. I don't care much for trying to figure out when a Lancer attack will land in my head. It is much easier just to have the AT list.

Plates on your ass, d00d. thornwithin's Avatar

ok what I'm getting out of this is that the reason your party is so awesome is (1) all your Knights can equip Excalibur and (2) They all have Calculator ability. Now, any class can use Calculator so to sum it up you are saying that Knights are the best because they can equip an awesome weapon. I don't think the skill Equip Sword allows you to equip Knight-Swords (which excalibur is) so technically you are right. But even with all this, you haven't proven that Knights are the best class, as you claim, since NONE of the abilities you've used (calculate, Catch, Two Swords, Counter Attack, Move +3) are knight abilities. All you've proven is that Excalibur is the best weapon in the game, which we all already knew. So you haven't really proven anything. :P
    Hold my breath as I wish for death...
    Oh please God, help me!!!

Consider you a figment of my imagination, but will you ever go away?
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Forgive me Father, for I have sinned. Find me guilty when true guilt is from within.
    I am the Thorn Within.

Jay Ayanami

Default Actually...

I said they were the best in conjunction with other classes. It is the ability of every class but Mime to equip secondary skills, including the Knight. Therefore, saying that if take away that ability, it sucks is invalid, because that would require you to do it to every class. What makes the Knight so goods is that along with this ability, they can equip Knight Swords, good armor, good helmets, etc. It is this combination that makes Knights so good.