Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: A Tonberry vs. Sin

This could be Dangerous! Carl the Llama's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Legendary Hero (Sargatanas)

Ok, lets break this down, the only Tonberry immune to Gravity is Don Tonberry.

Don Tonberry walks towards it's target to use it's attack Chef's Knife which has a chance to inflict death.

Sin can produce countless sinscales, unlimited if you take what happens at Zanarkand before Tidus and Auron knock down the exploding trailer, therefore all sin would need to do is summon an endless supply of scales and have them do the dirty work, no matter how many Don kills, they would eventually topple him.

According to the FF Wiki "Sin is immune to most conventional form of weaponry and is highly resistant to attack, able to project a barrier to protect itself. It is believed in-game that only the Final Aeon can kill Sin, and all attacks the party wages on Sin in Final Fantasy X only serve to wound it — it is not until the death of Yu Yevon's spirit that Sin actually dies." Meaning that if Don Tonberry wanted a chance to kill Sin it would need to be inside Sin, like the party is when they fight Jecht and Yu Yevon.

Lastly Don does not have an airship to be able to get inside Sin.

Conclusion: Sin uses sinscales to topple the mighty but landlocked Don. Don - who can't attack Sin kills countless scales but can't reach Sin (like anyone who uses non ranged weaponry).

One Hundred Chimneys Recognized Member Tavrobel's Avatar
    Articles
    Contributions
    • Former Site Staff

Title says Tonberry vs Sin, not Tonberry vs Sin and Sinscales.

On the gravity topic, I just happened to find this video:

So we'll need Don Tonberry for this.

Eggstreme Wheelie Recognized Member Jiro's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Editor
    • Notable contributions to former community wiki

If Tonberry can't reach, toss 'em.

They see me rolling. They hating, patrolling.
    Trying to catch me riding dirty.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Quote Originally Posted by Tavrobel View Post
    You're right, it says Tonberry, not Don Tonberry. Also I would mention that when you fight Sin on the Ship to Killika he uses Sinscales to attack, he has no other moves other then to hurl the Sinscales at the ship, so they are a valid form of attack. I also notice how you failed to address the shield he has, does that mean you concede the point?

If you are going based on what it says in the title, then I would counter with Giga Graviton, to which regular Tonberry is not immune to. Sin would just charge his Overdrive bar like he does on the fight on the Airship, doing no moves just boosting, then he would unleash his overdrive and kill regular Tonberry just like that... all the while Tonberry would be helpless to do anything.

programmed by NASIR Recognized Member black orb's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Banner Design
    • Logo Design

>>> Tonberry can just use Zanmato and kill Sin. He has a knife right?.
    >> The black orb glitters ominously... but nothing happens..

Famine Wolf Recognized Member Sephex's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Carl the Llama View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Sephex View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Psychotic View Post
    After all those machina from the Al Bhed and that charge by the Crusaders, all they really needed in their ranks was one humble Tonberry.
    World Record for longest FMV.
    Did you ever play any of the Metal Gear Solid games? Their cutscenes were legendary.
    Of course I have. The Sin vs Tonberry one would beat the longest one of those easily.

One Hundred Chimneys Recognized Member Tavrobel's Avatar
    Articles
    Contributions
    • Former Site Staff

concede the point?
    What point?

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Pumpkin Contrary (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

I find it amusing how serious this topic has become

Master of the Fork Cid's Knight Freya's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Freya Meow (Sargatanas)

How would the Crusaders get tonberrys to even help them? How would the team get one tonberry to fight sin? Can you lure a tonberry? Kite him to whatever location?

Famine Wolf Recognized Member Sephex's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Freya View Post
    How would the Crusaders get tonberrys to even help them? How would the team get one tonberry to fight sin? Can you lure a tonberry? Kite him to whatever location?
    Tell them that Sin thinks knives are for losers.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Pumpkin Contrary (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

I thought Tonberry's just kind of... attacked stuff. Just round up a few in a bag and put them down in front of Sin.

You're right, it says Tonberry, not Don Tonberry. Also I would mention that when you fight Sin on the Ship to Killika he uses Sinscales to attack, he has no other moves other then to hurl the Sinscales at the ship, so they are a valid form of attack. I also notice how you failed to address the shield he has, does that mean you concede the point?
    If Sinscales are a form of attack, they are vulnerable to counters, so the Tonberry will easily hit Sin with Voodoo and Karma.

If you are going based on what it says in the title, then I would counter with Giga Graviton, to which regular Tonberry is not immune to. Sin would just charge his Overdrive bar like he does on the fight on the Airship, doing no moves just boosting, then he would unleash his overdrive and kill regular Tonberry just like that... all the while Tonberry would be helpless to do anything.
    Voodoo instantly kills any Summoned Aeon. Sin is an Aeon. Sin dies.
    My friend Delzethin is currently running a GoFundMe account to pay for some extended medical troubles he's had. He's had chronic issues and lifetime troubles that have really crippled his career opportunities, and he's trying to get enough funding to get back to a stable medical situation. If you like his content, please support his GoFundMe, or even just contribute to his Patreon.

He can really use a hand with this, and any support you can offer is appreciated.

Articles
    Blog Entries

They would both face off in a glorious and terrible battle that would leave Spira in a state of ruin and last for at least thirty episodes before one or the other release their super special awesome attack and wipes out their opponent for good, who will then come back next season and be taken out in one hit by an even STRONGER opponent!

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Quote Originally Posted by Skyblade View Post
    If Sinscales are a form of attack, they are vulnerable to counters, so the Tonberry will easily hit Sin with Voodoo and Karma.
    Ahh but what you are forgetting is that the counter would be dealt to the Sinscale, not Sin himself. If you use cheats to hack on Counter Attack during the fight where Sin uses his Sinscales to attack, the counter would be dealt to the Sinscale, not Sin.

Quote Originally Posted by Skyblade
    Voodoo instantly kills any Summoned Aeon. Sin is an Aeon. Sin dies.
    Technically the being Sin started out as a Final Aeon, and as such are unlikely to be subject to the same rules as a regular Aeon, aside from that Sin itself was changed into armour as stated by numerous sources throughout the game, in the transformation there could be any number of changes. Thirdly you're wrong about Voodoo being instant kill:

Quote Originally Posted by Final Fantasy Wikia
    If the player summons an aeon, it will attack with Voodoo, in which the Tonberry creates a small stone statue of the summoned aeon, then stabs it, dealing 9999 points of damage to the aeon.
    Curious to whether or not Master Tonberry had death attached to its Voodoo (as it doesn't give details on the wikia), I loaded up my recent playthrough of the game and whipped out Anima (who had 14k HP) and used Shield and when I did MT dealt 2500HP damage, ok I thought, let's see what happens when I use boost? 9999 Damage... which just happened to fill my entire Overdrive and I unleashed it upon him... needless to say he died. So after this we discover it's only the Don Tonberry that has death attached to Voodoo, and then it is only a chance of death, not certain (because that is what it says on the Wikia). I might mention that it is only Don who is immune to gravity, so if and when Tonberry uses Voodoo, it would still only deal 9999 damage, and as Sin would be boosting it could very likely fill his entire Overdrive to be unleashed on our green soldier.

Plus Sins shield is even more powerful the a regular Aeon, note that during operation mi'ihen the machina failed to penetrate it, let alone do any damage.

In short even if he didn't use Giga Graviton he could easily do this:

Step 1: Shield
    Step 2: Sinscales

There is no way he would be able to defeat Sin.