Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Gaming Heaven...

Memento Mori Site Contributor Wolf Kanno's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Cookie Gaming Heaven...

Every year you are given what you feel is the best console for that gaming generation, so starting with the earliest gaming era you remember which systems would you get (limit one per system cycle).

No doubt the SNES from it's generation.

PSX from it's gen as well, though the N64 did have a few wonderful gems on it.

Pretty much Sony from then on as far as consoles go. PS2 just had to many golden RPG's, as well as PS3 being the best system for the genre of it's gen. As well as titles like Infamous.

PS4 is winning it this gen thus far, though I refuse to get an XBone, and PS4 has gotten a lot more use then my Wii U.

Consoles only, or are handhelds allowed as well? Because, for the current generation, the 3DS demolishes the competition, and the DS and GBA were certainly worthy contenders as well.
    My friend Delzethin is currently running a GoFundMe account to pay for some extended medical troubles he's had. He's had chronic issues and lifetime troubles that have really crippled his career opportunities, and he's trying to get enough funding to get back to a stable medical situation. If you like his content, please support his GoFundMe, or even just contribute to his Patreon.

He can really use a hand with this, and any support you can offer is appreciated.

Articles

FFXIV Character

Althalor Lightpike (Excalibur)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Social Media Manager

Do PCs count? Because the earliest gaming era I remember was C64 gaming in the early-80s.

Memento Mori Site Contributor Wolf Kanno's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by Skyblade View Post
    Consoles only, or are handhelds allowed as well? Because, for the current generation, the 3DS demolishes the competition, and the DS and GBA were certainly worthy contenders as well.

Yes, though for handhelds, they have their own console cycle so you can do both them and regular consoles if you want.

Quote Originally Posted by Pike View Post
    Do PCs count? Because the earliest gaming era I remember was C64 gaming in the early-80s.
    You may count PC but it will count as a console since their "updates" are too different to count as their own cycle. So if you want you can choose PC for like the 16-bit era if you want instead of the SNES or Sega Genesis for example.

Articles
    Blog Entries

GBC, GBA, PSP, Vita

NES, Genesis, PS1-4. Tempted to take PC over one of the first two PS generations but all that Final Fantasy and Metal Gear makes it hard.

Well, that makes this easy.

GameBoy
    SEGA Nomad (beating out the GameBoy Color, despite the battery troubles)
    GameBoy Advance
    Nintendo DS (the PSP is great, but most of its good titles are ported Playstation games)
    Nintendo 3DS (poor Vita not getting enough games, it needs more than five good titles, especially when two of them are ports)

I'll do full consoles later.

Edit: Bolivar's handheld list is obviously trolling, there's no way anyone can take the PSP and Vita seriously over the DS and 3DS. Heck, the 3DS got more top quality games last year alone than both others have had combined during their whole lifespan. I like the systems, but they don't have the games.
    Last edited by Skyblade; 03-28-2014 at 05:59 PM.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Fynnek Zoryasch (Twintania)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

I mostly agree with Skyblade in that handhelds are the best in my eyes. Might be tied with my dear Amiga in the 16bit era, but that's more out of nostalgia than anything. I don't think it actually had any quality games.

Articles
    Blog Entries

Edit: Bolivar's handheld list is obviously trolling, there's no way anyone can take the PSP and Vita seriously over the DS and 3DS. Heck, the 3DS got more top quality games last year alone than both others have had combined during their whole lifespan. I like the systems, but they don't have the games.
    That's another thread, one we've probably had a few times but I feel Nintendo software has obviously stagnated in the second half of the company's lifespan. A lot more original and innovative titles came to the PSP and now Vita.

The 3DS had a great 2013 but it's been gathering dust since I got a Vita. It's hard to top a handheld when its manufacturer relentlessly bombards you with more and more free games every month.

programmed by NASIR Recognized Member black orb's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Banner Design
    • Logo Design

>>> Snes, PSX and PS2. Thats pretty much all I need, I dont give a damn about the other consoles..
    >> The black orb glitters ominously... but nothing happens..

Quote Originally Posted by Bolivar View Post
    That's another thread, one we've probably had a few times but I feel Nintendo software has obviously stagnated in the second half of the company's lifespan. A lot more original and innovative titles came to the PSP and now Vita.

The 3DS had a great 2013 but it's been gathering dust since I got a Vita. It's hard to top a handheld when its manufacturer relentlessly bombards you with more and more free games every month.
    Um, Nintendo innovates far more than Sony, if you're talking first party titles. If you're talking third party support, the DS still destroys both others.

It doesn't really change the fact that almost all of the good game on the PSP are just PSX ports, or that the two best games on the Vita are PS2 ports. I can name several dozen top-notch titles for the DS. The PSP has maybe three worthwhile original titles. And the Vita is an absolute joke. Yes, it has some games like Tearaway, which are great and make good use of the system and functions. But half the hardware is useless, most of the software is either junk or ports, and it is still has a tiny game library. There's a reason why reviews include lines like "finally, a reason to own a Vita". It has one of the smallest game libraries I've seen. Sure, if you're happy with the PSN titles you could be playing on your PSP or PS3 it's ok. As is paying for PS+ to get some "free" titles that are decidedly mediocre. But as its own console? I'd. take the one that can play more than Persona 4 and FFX.
    My friend Delzethin is currently running a GoFundMe account to pay for some extended medical troubles he's had. He's had chronic issues and lifetime troubles that have really crippled his career opportunities, and he's trying to get enough funding to get back to a stable medical situation. If you like his content, please support his GoFundMe, or even just contribute to his Patreon.

He can really use a hand with this, and any support you can offer is appreciated.

Articles
    Blog Entries

It doesn't seem like you've played enough games on those systems to have an informed opinion.

Recognized Member Scotty_ffgamer's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Scotty Ffgamer (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Home Consoles:
    NES
    SNES
    PS1
    PS2
    PS3
    Not sure yet.... probably PS4.

Handhelds:
    TurboExpress
    Gameboy Advance
    DS (all thanks to The World Ends with You)
    Vita

Quote Originally Posted by Bolivar View Post
    It doesn't seem like you've played enough games on those systems to have an informed opinion.
    I've played a lot, I just haven't found many good ones. My PSP has become a portable Final Fantasy machine (which is admittedly pretty nice), and my Vita has four titles that I've actually gone back to and played multiple times. I haven't found anyone who has claimed that the Vita has more than five good games.

Feel free to make a list. I'd gladly compare both quality and quantity with the DS systems.
    Last edited by Skyblade; 03-29-2014 at 02:26 AM.

Articles
    Blog Entries

I haven't found anyone who has claimed that the Vita has more than five good games.
    If this is how you honestly feel, then we probably aren't going to get anywhere in this discussion.