Thread: Anyone else feel the plot has kind of fallen off course?

Memento Mori Site Contributor Wolf Kanno's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Colbert Anyone else feel the plot has kind of fallen off course?

I finished Dream Drop Distance last fall and frankly, I'm no longer sure about the direction of this series. When your big plot twist sounds like something you would see on the cover of a Silver Age comic book I'm not really sure anymore... Thoughts?

Recognized Member Scotty_ffgamer's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Scotty Ffgamer (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Dream Drop Distance was the weakest entry in terms of story, I felt. For one, I really think it would have been a better game if you never played as Sora. For two, I agree that a lot of the plot twist stuff just felt convoluted and weird to me.

That being the case, I'm still 100% on board for Kingdom Hearts III assuming that they are keeping with it being the final game in the Xehanort storyline. I'm still excited to see how they take everything from the previous games and tie them up (or don't) in the end.

I completely lost track of the story in 2. I will never return to the series. The fact that the different entries came on so many different consoles sure didn't make things any easier to follow. It's a shame, because I really felt like 1's story had potential.

FFXIV Character

Efes Ephesus (Adamantoise)

I'm excited for KHIII, but yeah, KHII is where things took an absolute nose dive straight into the incoherent insanity pool.

KH1 is really the only KH game that had decent story that made any sense at all. Then KHII came along and retconned the very core of the story. Then Birth By Sleep rubbed it in your face three times over.

I haven't played DDD yet, but most people I've talked to who have, even the biggest KH fans I know, say it was a huge disappointment story wise and didn't give them a good feeling about how KHIII will open.

But then, I guess KH can get away with being fanfiction.net tier nonsensical, seeing as the very concept that birthed the franchise was already too ridiculous for words. Sometimes when I think about the fact that there's a JRPG series that features Disney and Final Fantasy characters mashed together, I still can't believe such a thing exists.
    I like Kung-Fu.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Fynnek Zoryasch (Twintania)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

I honestly love the story of 3D. It's kinda like a cheesy shonen manga, in that it's not necessarily well written, but it's so exciting, I'm invested as hell and I want to see where this is going. If anything, I found the game to be too short for it's own good, as more things could be foreshadowed and more characters would get their much needed screen time, but I loved it and I loved how it's mostly Riku's story. I never found any KH hard to follow, so I don't really get the complaints.

I like it! (Rest in peace, Jew Wario)

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Axel getting to be a Keyblade wielder was kind of bulltrout though. Considering he was suppose to die a less glamorous death in KHII and just sort of became so overly popular that Nomura feels he needs to cater to the fanbase is a little grating...

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Fynnek Zoryasch (Twintania)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

That's just my point. It's like a shonen manga. The story is made up as it goes. And it is a glorious clustersmurf of awesome.

Master of the Fork Cid's Knight Freya's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Freya Meow (Sargatanas)

Well what were you expecting by mixing multiple FF universe and Disney Universe and creating your own all in one game series?

Slothstronaut Recognized Member Slothy's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by Pete for President View Post
    I completely lost track of the story in 2. I will never return to the series. The fact that the different entries came on so many different consoles sure didn't make things any easier to follow. It's a shame, because I really felt like 1's story had potential.
    This guy knows what's going on. Seriously, as someone who went straight from KH into KH2, 2 was border line incomprehensible.It became pretty clear to me at that point that that, combined with constantly changing which platforms the games released on, meant that it was a waste of my time and money to try and keep up with the series.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

For the issue is that the plot keeps waffling back and forth between being something really epic and then feeling like Bleach's author is phoning in ideas for them.

I liked the plot for the first game, loved Chain of Memories, was disappointed by how disjointed and random KH2 was, loved 358/2, disappointed with coded, and bothered by the whole Chi=Blade nonsense but otherwise enjoyed Birth by Sleep. 3D has its good parts and I don't mind the group trying to corrupt Sora or Riku taking center stage, but I was bothered by Lea (Axel) getting a Keyblade, the idea that Nobodies can grow new hearts because it completely undermines their existence and the tragedy they bring to the series, and I'm not too thrilled with the time travel paradox that resulted in the New Organization XIII. I just wanted a showdown with Xehanort, not a Boss Rush of him.

Huh? Flower?! What the hell?! Administrator Psychotic's Avatar
    Articles

Agree with DMKA. Once KH1 was over the story became so ridiculous and convoluted that it's sort of the identity of the series in a way.

Master of the Fork Cid's Knight Freya's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Freya Meow (Sargatanas)

I just play for the disney worlds

Feel the Bern Administrator Del Murder's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Administrator
    • Hosted the Ciddies

KH2 certainly took a leap with the story but I did think BBS and the other handheld games did a good job putting a frame around it. 3D was a fun game but I agree that the story was the weakest of any of the others (well besides Coded). I'm still excited for KH3 and wrapping things up against the Xehanort 'boss rush' and hopefully playing as each of the 7 keyblade wielders at some point.

This is a series that merges dozens of Disney and FF characters together and involves blending classic worlds with original creations and an overarching storyline. I never really expected it to make a whole lot of sense, and that's not why I play the games.

Proud to be the Unofficial Secret Illegal Enforcer of Eyes on Final Fantasy!
    When I grow up, I want to go to Bovine Trump University! - Ralph Wiggum

I play to 1) see the different FF characters interact (of course, now there's Dissidia), 2) experience Disney minus all the singing (there's a reason I've never gone to Broadway... I can't afford a ticket to New York) which KH2 ruined by forcing us to participate in the sing song in Atlantica, 3) there is no third reason...
    Jack: How do you know?

Will: It's more of a feeling really.

Jack: Well, that's not scientific. Feeling isn't knowing. Feeling is believing. If you believe it, you can't know because there's no knowing what you believe. Then again, no one should believe what they know either. Once you know anything that anything becomes unbelievable if only by virtue of the fact you now... know it. You know?

Will: No.

If Demolition Man were remade today

Huxley: What's wrong? You broke contact.
    Spartan: Contact? I didn't even touch you.
    Huxley: Don't you want to make love?
    Spartan: Is that what you call this? Why don't we just do it the old-fashioned way?
    Huxley: NO!
    Spartan: Whoa! Okay, calm down.
    Huxley: Don't tell me to calm down!
    Spartan: What's gotten into you? 'Cause it sure as hell wasn't me.
    Huxley: Physical relations in the way of intercourse are no longer acceptable John Spartan.
    Spartan: What? Why the hell not?
    Huxley: It's the law, John. And for your information, the very idea that you suggested it makes me feel personally violated.
    Spartan: Wait a minute... violated? Huxley what the hell are you accusing me of here?
    Huxley: You need to leave, John.
    Spartan: But Huxley.
    Huxley: Get out!
    Moments later Spartan is arrested for "violating" Huxley.

By the way, that's called satire. Get over it.