Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Fynnek Zoryasch (Twintania)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

Default Your favorite look?

This game has one of the most inconsistent character designs in the series. That's fine, as it's an old title (the PSP version has no excuse, though). Character hair length, style and color has varied, clothes have been changed, but we all have a specific way we imagine the characters - be it inspired the sprites, in-game portraits, Amano art or the general art direction of the DS version. Which rendition of the cast is the closest to you?

Honestly, the DS incarnations of everybody resonate the best with me. I love how they're very clearly Amano-inspired, but still distinguishable on their own. I love Cecil's long white hair, his helmet as a dark knight, I love Rydia's poofy curly hair and green lipstick, I love Yang's mustache, I love how Palom and Porom have slightly different hair colors, I love Kain's ponytail. I just think this version really nailed down how the characters should look.

Memento Mori Site Contributor Wolf Kanno's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

I'm old school, so the original SNES sprites will always be the definitive game look. As for actual designs I defer to Amano's great work as usual cause I'm a whore...

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Pumpkin Contrary (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

I'm going to say DS looks because it's the only one I've played

Famine Wolf Recognized Member Sephex's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

The original sprites and profile pics are how I will always envision the characters. Though, decade of time going by would do that to someone. However, if I forcefully remove my nostalgia glasses, I really dug the PSP look. The DS version looked nice on its own, but I'd rather have sprite artwork over models when it comes to an early entry in the series.