Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Why do you think this game isn't popular?

Huh? Flower?! What the hell?! Administrator Psychotic's Avatar
    Articles

The gameplay and job system were superb, the music was amazing and I loved the world.

Of the three SNES games I do think it had the weaker story and weaker cast of characters. If you compare Bartz to say, Locke, or Cecil, he doesn't seem to have much personality. Indeed the only real personality traits were Faris's "I talk like a pirate" and Krile/Reina's "I like animals". I wonder if that is also a contributing factor.

That's an excellent point. It'd be interesting to know what Japanese critics thought of the plot. I'm not a huge fan of the plot myself, but would that have been enough to sway the decision one way or the other? I can see how difficulty alone could have been the cause.

Also, how were initial stateside sales for FFIV? Did it do particularly well? Maybe that has something to do with it.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Fynnek Zoryasch (Twintania)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

Yeah, the plot being more of a parody of previous FFs probably didn't help. As was said before, FF fans are more used to serious angry stories, while this one was silly. I still loved the hell out of this story and these characters, though. It doesn't treat itself seriously, and yet it can be epic at times. And Galuf is just friggin' amazing.

Wait, that's it! Krile might be the reason! I always felt the story lost something with Galuf gone and Krile never seemed like a worthy replacement.

FFXIV Character

Laurelin Kementari (Sargatanas)

Quote Originally Posted by ToriJ View Post
    These reasons are most likely why. V only ever had the PS1 re-release over here, didn't it? I don't think Anthology is that popular.
    Don't forget the GBA release, which is the definitive V version as far as I'm concerned. The translation was great and the graphics nicely updated, especially during battles. Even some of the music sounds better on GBA than on the SNES (sacriledge!).

Articles
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Elpizo View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by ToriJ View Post
    These reasons are most likely why. V only ever had the PS1 re-release over here, didn't it? I don't think Anthology is that popular.
    Don't forget the GBA release, which is the definitive V version as far as I'm concerned. The translation was great and the graphics nicely updated, especially during battles. Even some of the music sounds better on GBA than on the SNES (sacriledge!).
    Yeah, I didn't learn about the GBA version until after making that post. Then I remembered their was a cellphone port, too.

FFXIV Character

Caedus Ulvein (Sargatanas)

The first time I got around to actually played this game put it really high on my favorite main numbered FF list. Right now it is only behind IX and VIII.