Maybe you should all pep up a bit!

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Fynnek Zoryasch (Twintania)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

I loved it from the start but didn't really understand why until my second play through. I love how different it is. I loved the world, the music, the battle system - I really think FF needed more of that sort of things. And I really did enjoy the story and characters. Here's where Skyblade and I completely disagree - I think the writing is one of the more subtle, refined and mature within the whole series and the characters seem much more like actual human beings than in any game befor, especially X

And I'm glad more people have come to appreciate it lately. It's like Jess said - this is probably the most underrated title. At the very least, it's the most divisive. Too bad Japan still doesn't like it. That probably means we'll never see an HD remake.

Articles
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Wolf Kanno View Post
    But he's an FF fan, that's just what we do. Seriously, let me go into the FFX or XIII forum and let me tell you how I really feel about them.
    *splash cold water on Wolf Kanno*

Memento Mori Site Contributor Wolf Kanno's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Articles
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Wolf Kanno View Post
    You're new here aren't you?
    Yes.

Master of the Fork Cid's Knight Freya's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Freya Meow (Sargatanas)

Kanno is our resident fanboy/hater/used to be a mod until he thought real life was cool. He may dislike something but he can dislike it with well reasoned thoughts and evidence instead of just proclaiming that something is lame. We missed him.

Memento Mori Site Contributor Wolf Kanno's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Well then Welcome to the forum!

Articles
    Blog Entries

But how did he fix the Jusenkyo curse?

FFXIV Character

Laurelin Kementari (Sargatanas)

Anyone with a good head on his/her shoulders knows Skyblade's opinion on XII is wrong anyhow. It's an objective fact that XII is awesome.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Fynnek Zoryasch (Twintania)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

Now now, everyone has the right to their personal nitpicks. I openly dislike FFX for things many people love it for. Is any of us objectively wrong? No, but to me it seems they are, and to them it seems I am. I can speak about how it sucks at length, but others won't change their minds. I think XII has subtle writing, Skyblade disagrees, and I don't think anyone can actually objectively decide which is the case.

Huh? Flower?! What the hell?! Administrator Psychotic's Avatar
    Articles

I'd have to replay it, but my feelings of "ugh, smurf that dull grindfest" have not yet subsided.

FFXIV Character

Laurelin Kementari (Sargatanas)

Quote Originally Posted by The White Wizard of Fynn View Post
    Now now, everyone has the right to their personal nitpicks. I openly dislike FFX for things many people love it for. Is any of us objectively wrong? No, but to me it seems they are, and to them it seems I am. I can speak about how it sucks at length, but others won't change their minds. I think XII has subtle writing, Skyblade disagrees, and I don't think anyone can actually objectively decide which is the case.
    The "" at the end of my post was an indicator I was only kidding. If Skyblade doesn't like XII, that's his opinion. I happen to not like VI, even though 90% of the FF fanbase would happily skin me alive for that, hee hee.

XII is still awesome, though.

Eggstreme Wheelie Recognized Member Jiro's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Editor
    • Notable contributions to former community wiki

Being between XI which a fair few people panned for being an MMO and XIII which most people (?) thought was rubbish must have an impact. Maybe they like it more for being a beacon of light. Maybe they hate it in a dull "that time kinda sucked" haze.

I liked it. It was good. There are a lot of issues, maybe more than most of my favourites, but I think it was a good, mature, innovative Fin-Del Fantasy title.

EDIT: regarding Zodiac Spear: you want everything handed to you? The "good old days" didn't have strategy guides and didn't tell you trout. You found stuff through luck and curiosity and if you didn't find it you didn't care.

They see me rolling. They hating, patrolling.
    Trying to catch me riding dirty.

Famine Wolf Recognized Member Sephex's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

I liked it back then and I like it now. This is a game that I been meaning to replay for quite some time. It's not for a lack of interest, but for a lack of time/wanting to play new games/wanting to play old games for the first time/replaying old favorites/ADULT LIFE/BUSY!!!/hsdjfhasdj;la

But seriously, I welcomed the dramatic change in everything from the storytelling to the battle system. In fact, I bet if I play it now I'll have tons of more fun.

Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Alayna Mae (Sargatanas)

My love affair with FFXII started the moment I played it and has not ceased, so for me history has done nothing but sustain my feelings of joy towards the title. I believe most/all of my reasons why this is the case have already been listed, but:

• the game was creative and interesting
    • the plot contained subtleties and depth
    • the characters were interesting and were not simply reboots of similar archetypes as are often found in not just FF games but RPGs in general (oh man I have too many feels regarding Balthier and Fran)
    • the combat system took a little getting used to but when I looked beyond the 'It's not what I'm used to!' feeling I found having to strategise outside of battle when setting up gambits to be incredibly intricate and challenging, but also very fun (I had some lovely flashbacks to gambits when I played The Last Story, pausing battles to set up instructions and whatnot, although I still feel FFXII did a better job of this style of battle because characters generally did as you told them to, which is an important detail)

I've spoken to a lot of people who have mixed feelings towards this game, but it will always hold a very special place in my heart.

My future is fuelled by the fires of words, wit and companionship.