Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: FFXII: Vindicated by history?

Memento Mori Site Contributor Wolf Kanno's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Moogle FFXII: Vindicated by history?

So it's been almost a decade since this game was released, how do you feel about it now that we've moved past the hype and backlash? Is it a good game that just got overhyped and disappointed an ever unpleasing FF fanbase or is it really a bad game that people have simply forgotten about because everyone has moved onto the next best thing. How have your own feelings about this game changed over the years if they have?

Slothstronaut Recognized Member Slothy's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

First person that says it was over rated and terrible gets punched in the back of the head. This is one of the best FF titles ever made. Definitely top 3 material, and trouts all over XIII.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Pumpkin Contrary (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

I enjoyed it. When it first came out, it had obviously made some changes and it didn't "feel" Final Fantasy to me. But the more I play it, the more I can appreciate it for what it is. The license board is excellent, and honestly is enough to bring me back to the game over and over, the world is great. It wasn't caught up in a love story, which was a nice change. The characters were solid enough.

My complaints would be that I miss the traditional FF battle system, there wasn't enough story in between long stretches of battle, and, at least for me, it got quite difficult at a certain point. That's good for people who like a challenge but I do not.

Overall though, solid game. Plan to play it again.

Articles
    Blog Entries

When this game first came out, I loathed it. I hated the long spaces in between cutscenes, the scarce character development, always being short on cash, etc. Having played FFT and Vagrant Story, I've come to love FFXII's political nature, and I now view it as a tour through Ivalice's Golden Age; the world is now more important to me than the story or characters.

All in all, I've learned not to rush through the game for story's sake. Grinding's relaxing, and it's cool because you're rewarded with lore. I started reading a lot more of the flavor text, for the first time since my childhood. Heck, I even take the time to admire the towns I visit and think about what civilization the architecture of the area is referencing.

Heck, I don't even mind Vaan. Well, it's annoying when he just shows up in a cutscene that has nothing to do with him, but he's kinda become such a background character, even when I have to play as him in towns, I just reason it's because he's being sent on errands while the other characters are plotting and planning their next COA.

EDIT: I don't know how long you've been back Wolf, but it's nice to see you!
    Returners Represent!

Articles
    Blog Entries

Continuing the trend, the game didn't feel like Final Fantasy at all but once you get past that, you have one of the most ambitious RPGs on the PS2, maybe of all time.

I think the real way it's been vindicated by history is with the following generation of consoles and the rise of WRPGs, we've seen how they struggled to translate the adventuring party to a real time setting - by either doing away with parties for a solo/action experience or simplifying things and giving you AI. XII's lasting achievement, to me, is how it gave you full control over every action of your party while allowing you to explore a semi - open world in real time. I wish they let this team make a PS3 game but hopefully they'll remake this soon or better yet, make something new happen on PS4 ^_^

Master of the Fork Cid's Knight Freya's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Freya Meow (Sargatanas)

I liked it the whole time. I tired the demo when it was released with Dragon Quest VIII and liked it from then on. I thought it had a good change of pace to the FF series. I think that it has changed in people's minds though since the whole Lightning Fiasco. Those games made people realize the brilliance of Captain Basche..... yeah.

Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Sarangerel Qha (Twintania)
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Site Staff

Most underrated title in the series if you ask me

Articles
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Vivi22 View Post
    First person that says it was over rated and terrible gets punched in the back of the head. This is one of the best FF titles ever made. Definitely top 3 material, and trouts all over XIII.
    I'm gonna have to play this game again if Vivi is giving it a thumbs up.

I'm indifferent towards XII in general since I didn't play much of it. I got real into the beginning as I have stated several times before and the cool off period after that was enough to put me on ice and lose interest. Most of the hate I've seen garnered at it (outside of here) has mainly been due to Vaan and all the changes from the previous games. Like the ships being named after summons. How dare ye! Or something.

I've been tempted to retry this game lately now that I managed to get my PS2 to display properly on my HDTV. Playing through a Tales game with the girlfriend lately though so it'll have to wait. Plus playing a Persona game in my down time. So yeah. No free time for old games for a while. But Vaan was the biggest turn-off to me. I hear once I make it to the point where he's not a necessary character I can pretty much ignore his existence and enjoy the game properly

Quote Originally Posted by Vivi22 View Post
    It's overrated and terrible.

The combat is a complete joke, with inconsistent rules and poor pacing.

The characters are ridiculous, with several of them serving no role in the plot.

The plot itself is a joke. There is no depth to the villain, and no subtlety or

The writing can be utterly painful at times, with so many awkward scenes and rushed development.

The open world, while allowing massive exploration and making it feel like a real place, also utterly destroyed the games pacing and ruined character growth and development.

The sidequests are great, but are vastly outnumbered by the incredibly boring marks. Go here, kill this. Yay?

One of the very few Final Fantasy games that I just didn't care about enough to finish.

Edit: Nope, haven't complained enough.

The enemies are almost all entirely forgettable. The only bosses I remember were Fury, Humbaba, and Gilgamesh, because they were the only ones that had any personality.

I only vaguely even remember the Judges. I know I fought them, but I can't tell you anything about them. One was the boss of an airship we were captured on, that's as close as I can get.

The entire Zodiac Spear thing is designed moronically. No way of knowing what chests to avoid, no explanation why. Because we need to sell strategy guides.

The entire Bazaar system is painfully designed, and led to one of the most frustrating loot grinds in the series.

The License Board was one of the worst customization systems the series has had, being both too restrictive to allow actual customization, and too easy to max to actually bother worrying about.

The "I'm Captain Basch" scene is one of the worst pieces of writing in the series.

The Gambit system is far too restrictive, and is even worse for blocking off ninety percent of it early on.

"Difficulty" is a joke, consisting of nothing but high health bars and RNG, with Yiazmat being the pinnacle of this pathetic design.
    Last edited by Skyblade; 04-01-2014 at 06:11 AM.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Freya Meow (Sargatanas)

I don't like your judgement and I strongly disagree with your assessment.

Quote Originally Posted by Lekana View Post
    I don't like your judgement and I strongly disagree with your assessment.

You're right, I didn't complain enough. I've fixed that for now with an edit, but there is so much more this game did badly.

Which is a shame, because I do like quite a bit about it. Almost every character that I can remember except Vaan is good (Vaan is worthless until other games), the Quickening system is a good idea, Ivalice is a fantastic world that would be brilliant if they just fixed the pacing problems, and there is a lot of promise in the Gambit system if it were more refined.

It's just a shame it didn't fulfill any of its potential.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Freya Meow (Sargatanas)

I have noticed this a lot about you recently skyblade, you're extremely critical and often stretch many common "issues" of various games, systems and general gaming topics to the negatives. I feel what you have done here about XII could be done about every FF game. In fact I feel one could pick apart any game due to personal preference and if they feel like they had ants in their pants that day.

Maybe you should stop looking at everything so negatively!

Memento Mori Site Contributor Wolf Kanno's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

But he's an FF fan, that's just what we do. Seriously, let me go into the FFX or XIII forum and let me tell you how I really feel about them.

Nope, but is it ever loved on this forum.

I would say maybe more cult following, or has a fandom, but not for sure not one of the most hated Fin-Del Fantasy games anymore.

I still hate it, but who knows, maybe one day I'll be joining the fans. c; YOU NEVER KNOW~