Thread: Breath of Fire 6 coming summer 2014

Total Sweetheart
    Articles
    Blog Entries

Default Breath of Fire 6 coming summer 2014

.....for mobile devices.

Every once in a blue moon I look up some of my beloved childhood RPG games just to see if I can find interesting fan art or hear rumors of a future sequel. And one such search today has brought me to this announcement. It looks like this news has been out for a few months, so I'm late to the party!

At first I couldn't believe my eyes. We haven't seen a game in this series since 2002's Breath of Fire: Dragon Quarter. I thought this was a hoax, designed to give false hope to fans of a series that had not seen the light of day in over a decade.

But nope, it's legit.

Quote Originally Posted by Breath of Fire 6 Wikipedia page
    Breath of Fire 6 was first announced in August 2013 during Capcom's Network Game Conference in Japan, where it was given a tentative release date in the region for the following year. It is the first installment in the series to not debut on a home console, and was created specifically for touch-based PCs, smart phones and tablets. Capcom designed the game as an "Easy touch type online RPG" with simple controls and "exhilarating combat". The title supports online play as well as a cross-platform save feature that will allow players to resume their progress on separate devices. The service is set to launch in Japan some time during summer 2014.
    Right off the bat, 2 things are pestering me purely based on reasons of continuity:

1. The title does not have a roman numeral.

2. The hair of the person in that picture is not blue. I don't think it's Ryu though.

From what I can tell from this Kotaku article, the game will have Nina. However, the main character will be a sort of "create-your-own" character who starts out in the familiar town of Dragonier.

For people who are disappointed in a mobile release, I understand. But instead of shunning it or pushing it aside because of what it isn't, let's encourage this spark in hopes that its success turns into the flame of future Breath of Fire console titles.

Touch controlls for RPG's simply don't work all that well, at least none I've seen or heard of. Unless they found a method to make it as easy to handle on a controler as the touch screen, it's already going lose points for controls, though that may not be to bad, as even with the bad controlls, FF Dimensions is still a fun play through.

[Quote]On top of the new screens, first details of the game's story and gameplay have emerged. Thanks to a breakdown over at NeoGAF, we now know combat will feature: no complex command menus, fast and intuitive touch controls, timing based combos, and party members will be AI driven[/Spoiler]

...So basically nothing like what we got in BoF I-IV, and honestly none of this sounds good to me, especially not AI driven party members. Unless you have some absolutely fantasic AI control settings like the Persona games due, this is going to be annoying as smurf. P3 was the only game where I actually enjoyed the AI due to all the setting options, and I doubt a Mobile and small scale project like this from Capcom is going to be even half as functional, though I guess we will see.

Additionally, the game will ditch the predetermined hero Ryu -- a staple of every other past entry -- to allow players to create and customize their own character.
    One of the best things about the BoF series was how, even without dialogue, they could give their protagonist such a strong force of personality and character. This almost garuntees that won't happen this time around. I could be wrong, but we'll see I guess.

Source for Quotes: New Breath of Fire 6 screens show a sliver of promise - Destructoid

Also, that is not Nina. No way in hell is that Nina.

And to add more, this art design is so dull. Like seriously, the smurf?

Eggstreme Wheelie Recognized Member Jiro's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Editor
    • Notable contributions to former community wiki

ugh I take it back I don't want a new entry in the BoF series

no okay seriously though I will not write it off but mobile RPG is a dodgy concept from the get go. I'm perfectly okay with them changing things up -- ditching Ryu is weird but I get it -- but create your own hero usually means less character development and that kind of sucks epic dragon balls.

They see me rolling. They hating, patrolling.
    Trying to catch me riding dirty.

programmed by NASIR Recognized Member black orb's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Banner Design
    • Logo Design

>>> Capcom is still on charge of making those games??
    Because Capcom sucks now..
    >> The black orb glitters ominously... but nothing happens..

Memento Mori Site Contributor Wolf Kanno's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Not my preferred platform but I'm happy that Capcom hasn't forgotten this series. I am a bit annoyed the game looks more like a Ys game being helmed by the Mana team's art director but I kind of doubt the actual BoF Team even exists anymore within Capcom.

Feel the Bern Administrator Del Murder's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Administrator
    • Hosted the Ciddies

Yeah I saw this a while back. Didn't make a thread because it looks awful. Like WK said I guess the silver lining is that at least Capcom still remembers this series exists.

Proud to be the Unofficial Secret Illegal Enforcer of Eyes on Final Fantasy!
    When I grow up, I want to go to Bovine Trump University! - Ralph Wiggum

This could be Dangerous! Carl the Llama's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Legendary Hero (Sargatanas)

Quote Originally Posted by Del Murder View Post
    Yeah I saw this a while back. Didn't make a thread because it looks awful. Like WK said I guess the silver lining is that at least Capcom still remembers this series exists.
    Exactly this, I have known about this game for months but just didn't show any interest in it, if I get it I will probably just simulate an android on my PC, though it leaves me very disappointed that Ryu isn't going to be in the game... if I do get it I will still likely call my hero Ryu, just to honour the old games.

I will light a single candle to mourn the loss of this great series.

Feel the Bern Administrator Del Murder's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Administrator
    • Hosted the Ciddies

Quote Originally Posted by Carl the Llama View Post
    Exactly this, I have known about this game for months but just didn't show any interest in it, if I get it I will probably just simulate an android on my PC, though it leaves me very disappointed that Ryu isn't going to be in the game... if I do get it I will still likely call my hero Ryu, just to honour the old games.
    Yeah if it's cheap enough and I'm bored enough, maybe I'll give it a try. It's always nice to have some more in-depth Android games on hand for times a 3DS is not within reach. Maybe there will be a free demo.

Proud to be the Unofficial Secret Illegal Enforcer of Eyes on Final Fantasy!
    When I grow up, I want to go to Bovine Trump University! - Ralph Wiggum

Default "Breath of Fire 6" 2014 Summer

Breath of Fire 6 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Mod edit: Video contains abundant profane language.
    Last edited by Madame Adequate; 04-04-2014 at 12:17 AM.

absolutely haram Recognized Member Madame Adequate's Avatar

FFXIV Character

Hiero Dule (Brynhildr)
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

It's been twelve years since Dragon Quarter so when I saw this I got SUPER excited.

"online, web-based"

Annnnnd no more interest.

Articles
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Lone Wolf Leonhart View Post
    .....for mobile devices.
    And just like that you lost me.

The last Breath of Fire game I played was IV. In fact, the only Breath of Fire game I played was IV. I didn't even know about Dragon Quarter until this thread (I don't keep up with gaming news if that wasn't obvious already). I'm so sick of mobile games, though. Put it on a real system!

Eggstreme Wheelie Recognized Member Jiro's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Editor
    • Notable contributions to former community wiki

Mobile gaming isn't anywhere near as feasible here (in Aus at least) as it seems to be elsewhere. Sure, you can get good mileage out of smaller titles but you can't do anything nearly robust enough to do justice to the BoF name.

They see me rolling. They hating, patrolling.
    Trying to catch me riding dirty.

Gobbledygook! Recognized Member Christmas's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Hosted the Ciddies

IT IS TRASH!