Thread: Favorite Anime English Dubs

Default Favorite Anime English Dubs

Yu Yu Hakusho
    Inuyasha
    Fullmetal Alchemist

And then the rest.

Inspired by me watching a lot of Fairy Tail lately and its dub being quite excellent.

Gundam Wing. Gundam. smurfing. Wing. You might know the one, the one with only 7 or 8 VAs for every roll, the one where you could identify which main actor is doing background voices with such frequency it became a drinking game, the one where I showed it dubbed with the subtitles on to my weeaboo friend and the sub and dub lined up word for word perfectly.

The one where where even when you have the original japanese with english subs you say "hell with that" and turn on the dub. I remember how much I loved throwing Videes of Gundam Wing on with my friends and just having marathons of it or even just having it as background noise for Magic or DnD. When something gains that kind of familiarity while still being readily enjoyable and not going stale you know you got a good thing.

A strong second for me was Gungrave, which had a similar degree of "switch from sub to dub" from my friends and I, though I didn't get to enjoy it as much as the owner of it alienated himself from everyone by being easily one of the slimiest beings on the west coast.

Blog Entries

I prefer to english soundtrack and to a lesser extent english voices of Sailor Moon. Even if they did cut out a bunch of stuff.
    Kefka's coming, look intimidating!
    Have a nice day!!

Banished Ace Recognized Member Agent Proto's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

I usually prefer watching subbed anime, but I will say that the dubbed anime for Michiko and Hatchin was really great.
    Last edited by Agent Proto; 03-31-2014 at 10:39 PM.

Apparently, I have been declared banished.

Master of the Fork Cid's Knight Freya's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Freya Meow (Sargatanas)

Full Metal Alchemist (brotherhood too) has some good english dubbing. I tried to watch it in the original Japanese and I preferred the english.

Memento Mori Site Contributor Wolf Kanno's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Yu Yu Hakusho cause the Japanese voices just don't match up to the characters in my mind.

Cowboy Bebop - Seriously the English voices are pretty good counterparts to the Japanese VA

Tenchi Muyo! - See Yu Yu Hakusho

Master of the Fork Cid's Knight Freya's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Freya Meow (Sargatanas)

Yeah I'll agree with Cowboy Bebop as well. It has a good english dub cast.

Seconding Tenchi Muyo. Their voices match their characters and personalities so well. Aside from the fact that Tenchi's dad used to be pretty cool and then grew up to be a complete doofus, but at least they gave him a doofus voice for his newfound doofus personality.

And Blood +. I watched it in Japanese, but I've seen a few episodes of the English dub and from what I saw, they pretty much nailed it. Unless I just saw a couple good episodes

Ranma 1/2 seems to fall in a similar category to Tenchi. The characters just seem to fit, in my opinion

Same with one of my personal favorites: Louie: The Rune Soldier. Some companies manage to do a decent job matching characters. Though I can't say whether or not they do such a good job matching the Japanese voices. But that's secondary, sometimes Japan doesn't get it right the first time. So situations like that work out. Glad I never saw the Japanese version of Tenchi, now. I think DBZ falls into this category as well. Only problem is that they kept changing voices in the English dub. But at least we have the Abridged version, which is a phenomenal fandub

Articles
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Here to echo the Cowboy Bebop cast.

Or pretty much anything else with Steven Blum. Dudes smurfing awesome.

And Cripsin Freeman. Not in Bebop, but point in case Crispin is awesome.

For specific shows, I'll throw in Paranoia Agent and Big O in to good english dubs.

Articles
    Blog Entries

Ranma and Hellsing Ultimate are the first ones to come to mind.
    Last edited by Ayen; 04-01-2014 at 06:59 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Botchmun View Post
    Gundam Wing. Gundam. smurfing. Wing. You might know the one, the one with only 7 or 8 VAs for every roll, the one where you could identify which main actor is doing background voices with such frequency it became a drinking game, the one where I showed it dubbed with the subtitles on to my weeaboo friend and the sub and dub lined up word for word perfectly.

The one where where even when you have the original japanese with english subs you say "hell with that" and turn on the dub. I remember how much I loved throwing Videes of Gundam Wing on with my friends and just having marathons of it or even just having it as background noise for Magic or DnD. When something gains that kind of familiarity while still being readily enjoyable and not going stale you know you got a good thing.
    I've never been able to find Gundam Wing on DVD, unfortunately.

Fullmetal Alchemist for me. Doesn't really matter whether it's the original or Brotherhood, really.
    My friend Delzethin is currently running a GoFundMe account to pay for some extended medical troubles he's had. He's had chronic issues and lifetime troubles that have really crippled his career opportunities, and he's trying to get enough funding to get back to a stable medical situation. If you like his content, please support his GoFundMe, or even just contribute to his Patreon.

He can really use a hand with this, and any support you can offer is appreciated.

Cowboy Bebop, Fullmetal Alchemist and Wolf's Rain had pretty good dubs, IMHO.

However, one of the true standouts as far as English dubbing is concerned has to be Spice and Wolf. There's something very endearing about its English dub. Brina Palencia in particular really shines as Holo the wolf goddess, giving her both childish curiosity yet mature and snarky moments. Just watch this and this video and enjoy how much fun the cast is having while performing.
    How I met your mother, Donald Duck's parents style! Love at first temper tantrum!

Facebook | Last.fm | LiveJournal | MyAnimeList | tGAWiki

>They will never dub Space Dandy.
    >You will never hear a dub of Its You Guys' Fault I'm Not Popular.
    >My true identity and culture is leaking through into this thread.
    >Implying you didn't notice from the get go.
    >You will never hear Scott McNiel Steve Blum voicing a televised anime dub.

that feel when...

This could be Dangerous! Carl the Llama's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Legendary Hero (Sargatanas)

Fist of the North Star aka Hokuto no Ken, the 1986 movie.