Thread: SE President Talks about making RPGs again

Memento Mori Site Contributor Wolf Kanno's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

:monster: SE President Talks about making RPGs again

So found this lovely interview

Bravely Default's Success In The West Is Making Square Enix Rethink Their JRPGs - Siliconera

The gist of it is that the surprise success of Bravery Default, an old school RPG created for the Japanese crowd, sold very well abroad and was really well loved by Western fans, that it is making the company rethink how they design their games for global markets. Basically because most of the games they design for "mass appeal" usually under performs yet this game designed for a niche group took off and became a global success for them. Thoughts?

Articles
    Blog Entries

It's kind of like everyone saying consoles are going away because smart phones and tablets are taking over, only for the PS4 to shatter all sales records. The guys in suits underestimate how badly people want to play core video games and want to play awesome RPGs.

Feel the Bern Administrator Del Murder's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Administrator
    • Hosted the Ciddies

It's good to see that when fans speak out with their pocketbooks, executives still listen. Here's to hoping that this not only results in more traditional style JRPGs from SE but also the release of some old holdovers like Type-0 to English audiences.

Proud to be the Unofficial Secret Illegal Enforcer of Eyes on Final Fantasy!
    When I grow up, I want to go to Bovine Trump University! - Ralph Wiggum

Wait a minute.

An old-school JRPG designed for a niche market takes off in the west, and causes the producers of said JRPG to redirect their plans?

Sounds like...

Feel the Bern Administrator Del Murder's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Administrator
    • Hosted the Ciddies

Hahaha!

Proud to be the Unofficial Secret Illegal Enforcer of Eyes on Final Fantasy!
    When I grow up, I want to go to Bovine Trump University! - Ralph Wiggum

Master of the Fork Cid's Knight Freya's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Freya Meow (Sargatanas)

Damnit wk, you posted it before I could write an article. You now have to fluff it up for frontsite postage

Also, I was really excited about this when I read it today. I think they were trying too hard to be something they weren't and the western fans have shown for decades now we do like jrpgs.

Quote Originally Posted by Spooniest View Post
    Wait a minute.

An old-school JRPG designed for a niche market takes off in the west, and causes the producers of said JRPG to redirect their plans?

Sounds like...
    Yep, I was thinking exactly this.

I had thought ATLUS was the only developer who still understood that JRPG fans actually want JRPGs, regardless of where they live. It would be nice to see Square finally read that memo.

It's also nice for them to see that it applies to more than just JRPGs as well. I don't play the Hitman games, but I've seen tons of fans criticize the new one for being overly linear and allowing less freedom in setup and execution compared to the earlier games of the series.

Finally, they might be realizing that "making things that appeal to everyone" only results in mediocre products that don't excel in any particular area and therefore have nothing to recommend them over the thousands of other similar titles currently on the market.
    My friend Delzethin is currently running a GoFundMe account to pay for some extended medical troubles he's had. He's had chronic issues and lifetime troubles that have really crippled his career opportunities, and he's trying to get enough funding to get back to a stable medical situation. If you like his content, please support his GoFundMe, or even just contribute to his Patreon.

He can really use a hand with this, and any support you can offer is appreciated.

Articles
    Blog Entries

It's about damn time, is all I have to say.

Eggstreme Wheelie Recognized Member Jiro's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Editor
    • Notable contributions to former community wiki

Yes. Maybe you are clever, Mr Wada.

They see me rolling. They hating, patrolling.
    Trying to catch me riding dirty.

Given that FFXV has already been in development this long before Square came to this incredibly obvious conclusion, it's not going to be the golden shiny wire of hope for the series, is it?
    My friend Delzethin is currently running a GoFundMe account to pay for some extended medical troubles he's had. He's had chronic issues and lifetime troubles that have really crippled his career opportunities, and he's trying to get enough funding to get back to a stable medical situation. If you like his content, please support his GoFundMe, or even just contribute to his Patreon.

He can really use a hand with this, and any support you can offer is appreciated.

I have reservations yet. Their "observations" about things, rarely lead to conclusions anyone with a normal thinking brain would actually conclude. So I wouldn't be surprised if they start making mistakes based on this, rather than in spite of it. And ship over ridiculously niche games that won't sell well, and lead them to be even further confused by what "western" gamers want. I'll get excited only after they appear to start making sense. Until then I'll stick to viewing them cautiously as I have before. Hopefully this at least secures us Bravely Default 2

Quote Originally Posted by Jiro View Post
    Yes. Maybe you are clever, Mr Wada.
    You know Yoichi Wada is no longer the president?

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Editor

Hopefully we can get JRPGs like this on consoles now. I want to play Bravely Default so badly, but I don't own a 3DS.