Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Let Us Cling Together - job help!

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Fynnek Zoryasch (Twintania)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

Default Let Us Cling Together - job help!

I decided to start this game over and find myself lost. I get how you get levels for jobs on the whole instead of each character individually, but how do skills work? Can I not carry them over to different jobs? If I know one skills from one job but it can also be learned by another, does that count and I don't have to spend SP on it again? Also, a to please - should I hire more units from the getgo so that I can level up more jobs from the start? Any advice you can give me for this system will be helpful.

Eggstreme Wheelie Recognized Member Jiro's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Editor
    • Notable contributions to former community wiki

yeah, a lot about this game confuses me. I have tried to build what I think is a balanced party but even that still results in me getting thrashed and I don't want to level grind and

They see me rolling. They hating, patrolling.
    Trying to catch me riding dirty.

Articles
    Blog Entries

I am pretty sure any skills you get from one class will carry over on that character. There may be equipment restrictions like no dual wielding proficiency for Terror Knights but generally the stuff increasing your hit % and damage is good.

You don't want to have too big of a roster as it becomes unwieldy to maintain and level all those different classes. Starting classes like Knight, Wizard, and Cleric remin useful throughout the entirety of the game. How many skill points that character has accumulated and spent is what matters most.

So it's best to stick with what you got and experiment with a few a long the way as you get class marks or recruit characters. Recruiting a character in a class you want is better than changing their class from the menu, since they'll gain some EXP to start with at the end of the battle. So make sure you got a Sybil or Cleric with Recruit when dragoons start showing up. You'll also have opportunities to save a lot of story characters and the ending has a lot of different scenes based on who joined your cause.

A few rules you probably want to know about how EXP is distributed at the end of battle: classes represented by more than one unit in the battle will get more EXP than those with only one. Lower Level classes get more EXP than higher level classes.

You might be having a hard time Jiro since the game is more about passive skills and strategy than it is about balance. You want to have a couple big play-makers stacked with higher level passives and really pay attention to movement and positioning. It can be a little more intense than a lot of other SRPG but that makes it more rewarding.

Feel the Bern Administrator Del Murder's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Administrator
    • Hosted the Ciddies

Like Bolivar said, focus on a few classes otherwise it will get overwhelming to maintain. In short, the job levels are shared by your whole group but the skills are learned by the individual unit and can transfer to all their jobs unless that skill is unique to that class or weapon type, etc.

Also: always have an Archer.

Proud to be the Unofficial Secret Illegal Enforcer of Eyes on Final Fantasy!
    When I grow up, I want to go to Bovine Trump University! - Ralph Wiggum

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

I know about archery

But I love the advanced classes so much! I'll need to make more of them to make them useful, right? Seems pretty fine with me, considering the 50 characters limit. And I also want all the story characters! About how many are there? I already got Canopus and Donnalto (yes, I am really early in the game, I know).

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Administrator
    • Hosted the Ciddies

There's about 50 but you won't get them all in one playthrough. Most of them show up as a normal class.

If you load up on one class for a battle you can level it pretty quickly since lower levels get more exp.

Articles
    Blog Entries

A lot of people also like to power level new classes or characters by sending them solo to Twynemouth Hill or whatever it's called (possibly a reference to Arthur Conan Doyle's "The White Company" I think...). Sounds crazy but it's not to hard I believe.

And by no means are we suggesting you ignore the latter classes! I consider Dragoons especially to be indispensable in the later battles of the game. Just keep in mind its good to have indestructible Knights plowing through the enemy and archers will carry you through the entirety of the game.

I have a second play through where I actually am building up a big army, with monsters and the different classes of dragons and lizardmen. But I realized that if I wanted to continue the story at a decent pace, I had to pick 12 of them to actually level and power through. However, it is fun to have big armies to experiment with when you mess with all the bonus dungeons and such, starting with the Wildwood you unlock early. There's actually a ridiculous amount of content in the game, one of which even has shops at certain checkpoints within it, since it would be nearly impossible to complete it without restocking.

Ghost of Christmas' past Recognized Member theundeadhero's Avatar

FFXIV Character

Villania Valski (Adamantoise)
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Senior Site Staff

I saw this and was like, "is this a troll thread?"
    Then I started to think, "Is Let us Cling Together the name of a real game."
    Then I read everyone's comments and I'm pretty sure it's a real game.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Administrator
    • Hosted the Ciddies

Yeah Dragoons are pretty mandatory for some battles. Give a Dragoon a crossbow and it can be a dragon-sniping machine. Ninjas are also fun. I made my main character a ninja and never regretted it.

Articles
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by theundeadhero View Post
    I saw this and was like, "is this a troll thread?"
    Then I started to think, "Is Let us Cling Together the name of a real game."
    Then I read everyone's comments and I'm pretty sure it's a real game.

It's a real subtitle and if you enjoy SRPGs you should play it!

Also, somehow didn't know about crossbow-wielding dragoons. Del just blew my mind.

Eggstreme Wheelie Recognized Member Jiro's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Editor
    • Notable contributions to former community wiki

I've been having decent luck with a wizard, a couple of meatier warriors/knights/terror knights/dragoons, an archer, and Canopus flying around sniping crap. I have a cleric around to help with healing but if my dudes go down I just plow through the enemies until I've won.

Ninjas are cool except for the item cost for ninjutsu

They see me rolling. They hating, patrolling.
    Trying to catch me riding dirty.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Administrator
    • Hosted the Ciddies

I only used ninjas for dual wield. Such an overpowering skill in these games.

The Old Skool Warrior LocoColt04's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Crysanthe Mariveaux (Ultros)

Katanas are only available through the Outfitters in the merchant towns, starting with Chapter 2 after the Delacroix meeting! Ashura and Kotetsu are the first options.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

I vaguely remember that from my first try. Thanks!

Right now I'm in the Ndamsa... something, trying to get back Cistina, only she's not there. Is it far off?

Also, are the hunting grounds also available later? Because I know it's a good grinding spot, but I don't know if I can leave it for later, for when I finally have katanas.