Thread: Tactical Grid RPGs

Articles

FFXIV Character

Althalor Lightpike (Excalibur)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Social Media Manager

I believe The Battle for Wesnoth falls under this category (although I haven't played it in forever)

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Loony Bob (Twintania)

While many might not class it as an RPG, it certainly had the same general feel for me... XCOM: Enemy Unknown. Great game.
    Bow before the mighty Javoo!

Gameplay is definitely in the right vein in XCOM, but the lack of actual characters sort of hurts it. It's a tactics game, but not a tactical RPG.

Now, add in Fire Emblem style characters and conversations, and you would have an utterly brilliant Sci-Fi tactical RPG.
    My friend Delzethin is currently running a GoFundMe account to pay for some extended medical troubles he's had. He's had chronic issues and lifetime troubles that have really crippled his career opportunities, and he's trying to get enough funding to get back to a stable medical situation. If you like his content, please support his GoFundMe, or even just contribute to his Patreon.

He can really use a hand with this, and any support you can offer is appreciated.

Valkyria Chronicles isn't grid-based but it's a spiritually similar game. There's a big pile of various FFT games, of course, if you haven't played all of them.

Feel the Bern Administrator Del Murder's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Administrator
    • Hosted the Ciddies

Yeah VC is this type of game without the defined grid basically. I've also played all the FFT games.

Some good suggestions here, many I've never heard of. Since I have the PSP lying around collecting dust, I think I'll start with Jeanne D'Arc and the VC sequel.

Proud to be the Unofficial Secret Illegal Enforcer of Eyes on Final Fantasy!
    When I grow up, I want to go to Bovine Trump University! - Ralph Wiggum

There are some for the PC if you are interested in taking that route, although some are less RPG-ish than others. King's Bounty (great game) and Heroes of Might & Magic games have a lot in common with these and are kind of the 'western' equivalent.

Not technically a Grid, but go Play Ogre Battle: March of the Black Queen on the SNES.

Easily one of the best SRPG's ever made, though I do suggest checking how the Ali/cha/Rep numbers work online, there are quite a few things that affect it the game doesn't tell you ever.

FFXIV Character

Caedus Ulvein (Sargatanas)

The DS version of Disgaea was absolute trout. It's the only version of the game I have yet to beat. Purchase one of the newer versions for the PSVita or something. Phantom Brave and Makai Kingdom are great, but they are gridless. The Growlanser series is tactical and gridless, but those games are fantastic. The only issue is that very few of them get ported. If you still have a PS2, you should pick up Growlanser Generations.

tldr;

Forget about Disgaea DS and try one of the other ports. The PSP version is the best out of the 3.

Quote Originally Posted by CimminyCricket View Post
    Forget about Disgaea DS and try one of the other ports. The PSP version is the best out of the 3.
    Maybe that's why I could never get into it. I have the DS version.
    My friend Delzethin is currently running a GoFundMe account to pay for some extended medical troubles he's had. He's had chronic issues and lifetime troubles that have really crippled his career opportunities, and he's trying to get enough funding to get back to a stable medical situation. If you like his content, please support his GoFundMe, or even just contribute to his Patreon.

He can really use a hand with this, and any support you can offer is appreciated.

Also, if you're into getting Japanese games with Fan Translations, Bahamut Lagoon is wonderful, and is an old Square title!

FFXIV Character

Caedus Ulvein (Sargatanas)

Quote Originally Posted by Skyblade View Post

I've always considered throwing my copy away.

programmed by NASIR Recognized Member black orb's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Banner Design
    • Logo Design

Quote Originally Posted by Skyblade View Post

I've always considered throwing my copy away.
    >>> I heard you can unlock Plenair there..
    >> The black orb glitters ominously... but nothing happens..

Memento Mori Site Contributor Wolf Kanno's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

I don't know what it is, but over the years I have kind of fallen out of love with this genre. I used to be all over it back in the PS1/early PS2 days but I don't know, I just can't really get into them anymore. Probably why even a year later, I'm still trying to finish Suikoden Tactics even though its not a bad game at all. I still have the PSP remake of Tactics Ogre sitting on a shelf staring at me, and while I would love to see what all the fuss is about, I just can't bring myself to start playing it.

Memento Mori Site Contributor Wolf Kanno's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

I think that is part of it, I also feel like they are a genre that tends to suffer from superfluous customization.