Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Tactical Grid RPGs

This is probably more justified in the "Unpopular Opinion" thread, but I constantly try to get more into this genre than I am, but the fact that all tactical games tend to be grindy with nothing but battles and stories. I get burned out and turned off too quick to really dig in very far. I want to do more with a game than just battle battle story battle story story battle. If any other genre did this, they'd get completely panned for taking out immersion or exploration or whatever. I can't imagine playing Final Fantasy with nothing but battles and story cut-scenes. But God Damn if everyone doesn't love Final Fantasy TACTICS for doing just that. Ugh. It's why I'm constantly on the look out for a good successor to Shining Force. Games need down time to unwind between intense activities. My down time between battles in a game should not be me sleeping or going to work. It should be incorporated into the game to help with pacing and stuff

Anyone have any theories why the entire genre is designed that way? And on that note, I'd really really love to know what secret everyone else has for tolerating that kind of slogging through. Especially when a lot of these games are 80 - 100 hour games

I don't know why no one has copied Shining Force and added in overworlds and towns. Like, seriously, I have no clue. That was awesome, and I want more.

That said, Final Fantasy Tactics games have a bit more, especially A2, where there is a ton of variety to the types of combat, and tons of optional character moments in inns, or when traveling the map.

Fire Emblem brings in a ton with the Support system. Other games have had hidden shops and items, which also help.

But, really, it's the characters, stories, and worlds that carry these games. The combat is only engaging as long as you have a backdrop. It's not just "fight battle here", it's "escape from castle while being attacked" or "rescue captured person". Don't think of it as one long fight scene. Think of it as a mission or dungeon, with fights scattered throughout when two characters meet. It's just how you approach things that's a bit different then.
    My friend Delzethin is currently running a GoFundMe account to pay for some extended medical troubles he's had. He's had chronic issues and lifetime troubles that have really crippled his career opportunities, and he's trying to get enough funding to get back to a stable medical situation. If you like his content, please support his GoFundMe, or even just contribute to his Patreon.

He can really use a hand with this, and any support you can offer is appreciated.

...Interesting perspective. I'll have to try to remember to look at things differently the next time I give one a try then.

FFXIV Character

Caedus Ulvein (Sargatanas)

Quote Originally Posted by black orb View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by CimminyCricket View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Skyblade View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by CimminyCricket View Post
    Forget about Disgaea DS and try one of the other ports. The PSP version is the best out of the 3.

Maybe that's why I could never get into it. I have the DS version.
    I've always considered throwing my copy away.
    >>> I heard you can unlock Plenair there..
    You can, but she's overrated and I never used her. :/

Articles
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Vyk View Post
    This is probably more justified in the "Unpopular Opinion" thread, but I constantly try to get more into this genre than I am, but the fact that all tactical games tend to be grindy with nothing but battles and stories. I get burned out and turned off too quick to really dig in very far. I want to do more with a game than just battle battle story battle story story battle. If any other genre did this, they'd get completely panned for taking out immersion or exploration or whatever. I can't imagine playing Final Fantasy with nothing but battles and story cut-scenes. But God Damn if everyone doesn't love Final Fantasy TACTICS for doing just that. Ugh. It's why I'm constantly on the look out for a good successor to Shining Force. Games need down time to unwind between intense activities. My down time between battles in a game should not be me sleeping or going to work. It should be incorporated into the game to help with pacing and stuff

Anyone have any theories why the entire genre is designed that way? And on that note, I'd really really love to know what secret everyone else has for tolerating that kind of slogging through. Especially when a lot of these games are 80 - 100 hour games
    It's certainly a weakness of the genre and it makes Shining Force stand out probably more than it has the right to whenever I replay it. Personally, I think Tactics earns it's place though because of just how good the artwork and story are. I admit some games I had to press on just because I like the genre I guess.