Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Unpopular Opinions: Video Game Edition Redux

Articles
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by maybee View Post
    > I love Final Fantasy VII, most likely favorite Final Fantasy game
    This is an unpopular opinion now? Oh internet, how you've changed.

Quote Originally Posted by I Took the Red Pill View Post
    Super Mario Sunshine is the best 3D Mario.
    I love the crap out of this game. It was the most fun I had with a 3D Mario game yet. I don't know why it gets a bad wrap unless it has to do with the game main objective being to clean up a big mess everywhere. At least it wasn't the usual "save the princess, save the world" mumble jumble.

Articles
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by maybee
    > I fail to see the point of why the N64 is so praised minus the Zelda games, when the PlayStation was a zillion better console, and yet on most gaming lists the N64 is rated so high and the PlayStation is below it.
    Butt-hurt Nintendo fanboy made the list ?
    Revisionist history. Even on the games front, a lot of those PS1 masterpieces are sliding lower and lower on Top Games of All Time lists while the legacies of a lot of N64 games are surging. The same thing happened in Hip Hop a few years back where Jay-Z's back catalog started getting a lot more recognition than it ever had (or rightly deserved), just because he had made a lot of money in recent years.

N64 had Perfect Dark.

Your argument is invalid.

Articles
    Blog Entries

As a person who owned both systems, I always found them to be about even. It just depended what you were looking for in terms of games.

Articles
    Blog Entries

I would like to present Exhibit A to the jury:

Quote Originally Posted by Forsaken Lover View Post
    N64 had Perfect Dark.

Your argument is invalid.

Blog Entries

• Shadow of the Colossus was boring
    • MGS4 ruined the series beyond all chance of saving it (though apparently this isn't unpopular anymore?)
    • Star Wars Battlefront 1 was better than SWBF2
    • Watch Dogs looks rubbish
    • Neither Wakka or Tidus were annoying
    • Vivi is the worst Final Fantasy character
    • Deus Ex was an amazing game until you get half way through Paris, at which point it becomes a point & shoot borefest
    • Tomb Raider sold out

More to come.

there was a picture here

Throw me in the Shadow of Colossus is boring lot.

Also Tomb Raider was never good to begin with.

Quote Originally Posted by Bolivar View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by maybee
    > I fail to see the point of why the N64 is so praised minus the Zelda games, when the PlayStation was a zillion better console, and yet on most gaming lists the N64 is rated so high and the PlayStation is below it.
    Butt-hurt Nintendo fanboy made the list ?
    Revisionist history. Even on the games front, a lot of those PS1 masterpieces are sliding lower and lower on Top Games of All Time lists while the legacies of a lot of N64 games are surging. The same thing happened in Hip Hop a few years back where Jay-Z's back catalog started getting a lot more recognition than it ever had (or rightly deserved), just because he had made a lot of money in recent years.
    The N64's games honestly aged better. A lot of the PSX's games suffer from problems. When it came to early 3D, compare both the art and controls of Super Mario 64 with those of Tenchu. I loved Tenchu when it was originally out. I now find it almost unplayable. The realistic 3D of most of Sony's games also didn't age as well as the stylized 3D of Nintendo's titles.

I had some great experiences on the PSX, and it may have done a lot to revolutionize the market, but it doesn't stand the test of time as well as the N64.
    My friend Delzethin is currently running a GoFundMe account to pay for some extended medical troubles he's had. He's had chronic issues and lifetime troubles that have really crippled his career opportunities, and he's trying to get enough funding to get back to a stable medical situation. If you like his content, please support his GoFundMe, or even just contribute to his Patreon.

He can really use a hand with this, and any support you can offer is appreciated.

• Final Fantasy has not become worse since the fusion, in fact half of the titles before were not that great.
    • Lightning is one of the best Final Fantasy characters and the Final Fantasy XIII Trinity is despite its plotholes the second best Final Fantasy of all time.
    • Nier Gestalt is the best gift of god after the Compilation of Final Fantasy VII.
    • Star Ocean The Last Hope is one of the best PS3 RPGs and pretty much had what Final Fantasy XIII lacked and vice-versa.
    • Final Fantasy VI is ridiculously overrated. It is fantastic (rank III-IV for me) but only became overrated because of the anti-hype-hype to hate VII and suddenly love something that was liked very much by some but not loved that much by that many people years ago.
    • Most people don't even understand Final Fantasy which, funnily enough, was even stated by the creators during one of the infamous remake rumor interviews. So no opinion. (e.g. missing the term "Cloud's real self" - Cloud is always his real self, it does not matter how you are because you are your consciousness and there is no other person inside of his body but just a part of him that he isolated, so he is always his real self because the conscious guy is Cloud himself minus a bit of him plus a lie; your Self is always you in the beginning, even if something is wrong with it and Cloud even shows many of his normal traits; also things like the Love Debate when it is stated in every official material, the game and books, as well as shown, that while Tifa is a love for Cloud, Aerith is the love and she even states him being his absolute love in Final Fantasy VII Dismantled, who like him more than the womanizer Zack because she knew what was a lie and what not about Cloud, has her soul linked to his, wanted him to be jealous of Zack and to know their future together and everything related to her is his Promised Land, Motomu Toriyama even had to lay special focus on their romantic relationship to make Aerith irreplacable).
    • I hate canonicity debates. Fans can decide their fanon and nothing else. That is axiomatic. No opinion.
    • Pretty much all video game companies that were sworn at by fans for becoming bad did not become bad. Everything is flawed. Especially fans. No opinion.
    • There are so many underrated games.
    Last edited by Sephiroth; 04-03-2014 at 05:35 PM.

Recognized Member Scotty_ffgamer's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Scotty Ffgamer (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Donkey Kong 64 isn't very good.

Not strictly gaming related, but I actually enjoy the Mario movie.

Aladdin on the SNES is a lot more enjoyable than on the Genesis.

ToeJam and Earl isn't good.

I like Xenosaga II a lot.

Quote Originally Posted by Old Manus View Post
    • Watch Dogs looks rubbish
    • Neither Wakka or Tidus were annoying

Agreed on these.

Vagrant Story is the best PS1 rpg Square has made.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Hosted the Ciddies

Quote Originally Posted by NeoCracker View Post
    Throw me in the Shadow of Colossus is boring lot.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fynn View Post
    Jinx you are absolutely smurfing insane. Never change.

programmed by NASIR Recognized Member black orb's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Banner Design
    • Logo Design

>>> Dirge of Cerberus was good game.
    >> The black orb glitters ominously... but nothing happens..

Articles
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by black orb View Post
    >>> Dirge of Cerberus was good game.
    I second this. It fitted Vincent's style so well.

Articles
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Skyblade
    The N64's games honestly aged better. A lot of the PSX's games suffer from problems. When it came to early 3D, compare both the art and controls of Super Mario 64 with those of Tenchu. I loved Tenchu when it was originally out. I now find it almost unplayable. The realistic 3D of most of Sony's games also didn't age as well as the stylized 3D of Nintendo's titles.

I had some great experiences on the PSX, and it may have done a lot to revolutionize the market, but it doesn't stand the test of time as well as the N64.
    Gotta hand it to you, you really cherry-picked those examples beautifully!

Didn't you also call Metal Gear Solid unplayable?