Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Unpopular Opinions: Video Game Edition Redux

Articles
    Blog Entries

So far I am enjoying ACIII more than ACII.

Final Fantasy VII is subpar; Final Fantasy IX is very good; Final Fantasy VIII was better than both of them. Final Fantasy X is in a league of its own when it comes to horrendous titles.

While it might not be a significantly unpopular opinion among those who have played it, Baldur's Gate 2 remains one of the best, most solid RPGs in living memory. And it is severely underplayed by those who consider themselves fans of the genre.

Suikoden IV was a solid entry into the series and was very enjoyable. Overall, Suikoden I is the worst game in the series if only because it came first and did not get the chance to learn from its predecessors.

Final Fantasy is not the best video games series, or even the best RPG series, of all time. They are decent games, but nothing significant to write home about. The most successful thing Final Fantasy has ever done was make their games have a high replay value. They are far from groundbreaking.

People overreact to extreme proportions when it comes to EA's policies, game releases, etc. They do what every other major video game company does with far less transparency. And they can, because people still gobble up whatever trout they release time after time.

Quote Originally Posted by Bunny
    Final Fantasy is not the best video games series, or even the best RPG series, of all time. They are decent games, but nothing significant to write home about. The most successful thing Final Fantasy has ever done was make their games have a high replay value. They are far from groundbreaking.
    Groundbreaking =/= good. Innovation is not, in itself, a good thing. There have been more innovative games that are complete junk than I can possibly hope to count, and you can get some absolutely stellar titles that don't innovate at all.

People overreact to extreme proportions when it comes to EA's policies, game releases, etc. They do what every other major video game company does with far less transparency. And they can, because people still gobble up whatever trout they release time after time.
    I'm on the other side of this. People under react to EA's practices. EA continues to make horrendous decisions that are obviously anti-consumer and harmful to the industry, and the games themselves. But people just complain about it instead of simply ceasing to give EA money, which would shut down the problems almost immediately.

Groundbreaking =/= good. Innovation is not, in itself, a good thing. There have been more innovative games that are complete junk than I can possibly hope to count, and you can get some absolutely stellar titles that don't innovate at all.
    I agree, you can. Final Fantasy is not one of them, however.

I'm on the other side of this. People under react to EA's practices. EA continues to make horrendous decisions that are obviously anti-consumer and harmful to the industry, and the games themselves. But people just complain about it instead of simply ceasing to give EA money, which would shut down the problems almost immediately.
    The problem is, plenty of other game companies do the same thing, or slightly less bad. As long as they do it quieter than EA, however, they can pretty much skate by unscathed. EA has become the industry scapegoat.

Quote Originally Posted by Bunny View Post
    I agree, you can. Final Fantasy is not one of them, however.
    That's fine, you just ended with that line, as though it were the ultimate conclusion of your statement.

The problem is, plenty of other game companies do the same thing, or slightly less bad. As long as they do it quieter than EA, however, they can pretty much skate by unscathed. EA has become the industry scapegoat.
    No other game company has nearly the history of buying up promising developers and immediately turning their games into absolute crap. That's all EA.

Also, being less subtle about it is something you think would be important. Plenty of games and companies have been boycotted over problems in the past. EA just found out it apparently doesn't matter, so they have no reason to stop.
    My friend Delzethin is currently running a GoFundMe account to pay for some extended medical troubles he's had. He's had chronic issues and lifetime troubles that have really crippled his career opportunities, and he's trying to get enough funding to get back to a stable medical situation. If you like his content, please support his GoFundMe, or even just contribute to his Patreon.

He can really use a hand with this, and any support you can offer is appreciated.

And they shouldn't stop. They should keep doing what they are doing until the gaming community as a whole stands up and stops putting up with their bulltrout. Until that point, people need to stop complaining about it so damn much. Stop supporting the company that is screwing you over and maybe they'll stop screwing you over.

That's exactly what I meant. Hence why I was saying that people were under-reacting. Because they should be boycotting the stupid company, instead of just whining. It's a company, it's going to do whatever it can to best make money. If you have a problem with its business practices, stop giving it money.

People are stupid.

Oh, wait, unpopular opinions. >.<
    My friend Delzethin is currently running a GoFundMe account to pay for some extended medical troubles he's had. He's had chronic issues and lifetime troubles that have really crippled his career opportunities, and he's trying to get enough funding to get back to a stable medical situation. If you like his content, please support his GoFundMe, or even just contribute to his Patreon.

He can really use a hand with this, and any support you can offer is appreciated.

Ashley Graham from Resident Evil 4 isn't annoying at all. She IS sexy though, even with those weird ears.

Eggstreme Wheelie Recognized Member Jiro's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Editor
    • Notable contributions to former community wiki

Quote Originally Posted by Forsaken Lover View Post
    I remember we had a slew of these a year or so ago and just thought we could use another bout of everyone asserting that they are beautiful snowflakes.

I'll start.

1. I love almost everything about Star Ocean: The Last Hope.
    2. I despise absolutely everything about Star Ocean: Till the End of Time
    3. Snow and Hope were my favorite part of FFXIII.
    4. Resident Evil Zero is one of the best RE games.
    5. The Metal Gear Solid series ended with Sons of Liberty as far as I'm concerned. I refuse to acknowledge 4 or Revengeance or any of it as existing in my canon.

I'll bite

They see me rolling. They hating, patrolling.
    Trying to catch me riding dirty.

Articles

FFXIV Character

Althalor Lightpike (Excalibur)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Social Media Manager

My unpopular opinion is that I hate unpopular opinion threads because they just turn into a circlejerk of negativity

Quote Originally Posted by Pike View Post
    My unpopular opinion is that I hate unpopular opinion threads because they just turn into a circlejerk of negativity
    YOU'RE A CIRCLEJERK OF NEGATIVITY~

Also that's not an opinion on video games.