Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Unpopular Opinions: Video Game Edition Redux

Default Unpopular Opinions: Video Game Edition Redux

I remember we had a slew of these a year or so ago and just thought we could use another bout of everyone asserting that they are beautiful snowflakes.

I'll start.

1. I love almost everything about Star Ocean: The Last Hope.
    2. I despise absolutely everything about Star Ocean: Till the End of Time
    3. Snow and Hope were my favorite part of FFXIII.
    4. Resident Evil Zero is one of the best RE games.
    5. The Metal Gear Solid series ended with Sons of Liberty as far as I'm concerned. I refuse to acknowledge 4 or Revengeance or any of it as existing in my canon.

1) Xenogears is not a good game.

2) FF VII is only a decent game, nothing more.

3) Megaman X is better then the non-X games, and better then Super Mario World.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Pumpkin Contrary (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

Sorry my thoughts are going to be a bit all over the place with this.

• I like Penelo and Vanille.
    • I like Star Ocean: The Last Hope also.
    • This isn't me trying to sound cool, but FFVII is really nothing special to me. It was my least favorite when I played VII, VIII, IX, and X when I got them all when I was 8-9ish, and I had to force myself to stick to the whole thing and play it all last year. I tried several times before then and barely made it past disc 1. I don't think it's a bad game, I don't hate it, but it really isn't enjoyable for me. It's more of a "eh, it's okay".
    • Final Fantasy VIII is tied for my second favorite Final Fantasy. I really enjoy the love story and I like Squall a lot as a character. He is actually my favorite Final Fantasy main hero.
    • I hate the Street Fighter and DOA games. Hate them.
    • I think Final Fantasy X-2 is a great game.
    • I enjoyed Xenosaga Episode II.
    • I enjoyed Suikoden IV. It is my least favorite of the series but some of the stuff was really fun and I enjoyed it.
    • I don't find FPS fun at all.
    • I hate challenging and difficult games. I know some people enjoy it, and that's really great for them, but I can't stand it when a game is too difficult. I play a game to relax, enjoy myself, lose myself in the world and story, and I personally cannot do any of that when I'm stuck doing the same fights over and over again because they're difficult.
    • I hate Aeris with a fiery passion and I'm not too keen on Cloud, and I find Sephiroth to be a subpar villain.
    • I like the newer Pokemon just fine, some of them even more than some Gen I Pokemon. I'm not sure if this counts for video games, but I'm going to assume so because they have video games!
    • Xenogears is almost unplayable for me. I read the whole game script, love the story, the gameplay is a chore for me. I don't enjoy actually playing the game.
    • I did not like the battle system in Xenosaga episode I as compared to the other 2 titles.
    • I think the junction/GF system in VIII was enjoyable, and I'm glad they tried something new.
    • Speaking of VIII, I have never played Triple Triad and I have no intention of ever doing so. Just reading over the rules made me turn off to it altogether.
    • I like Cait Sith.
    • I like Kimahri. I think he's the best character in X by a good margin.
    • I like Yuna's voice acting.
    • Quina is my second favorite IX character and one of my favorite video game characters ever.
    • Tifa's boobs are not attractive, but absurd and ridiculous.
    • I love games made for little girls, like Wedding Planner, and Princess Debut.
    • I tried playing Chrono Cross but it couldn't hold my interest.

Not sure how unpopular all of those are. I'm going based off of things I've heard others say, but I could be mistaken about some of them being unpopular. The Aeris one seems about 50/50, but I included it because some people are just appalled that I don't like her.

I love the endings of Deus Ex: Human Revolution.

Articles
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Pete for President View Post
    I love the endings of Deus Ex: Human Revolution.
    So much this!

FFVII was a revolutionary game.

Steam sales are like visiting the town dump after your first two or three.

Vaan was a good protaginist.

MGS4 was one of the highlights of the PS3.

Oblivion > Skyrim > Morrowind.

Competition in the games industry is bad for the consumer, leading to stagnating software that tries to appeal to everyone.

Memento Mori Site Contributor Wolf Kanno's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

• I think FFIV is more important to the FF series than VII.
    • I feel Sony needs to stop making handhelds.
    • I felt the Wii was not a bad system, in fact it had most of my favorite games last gen.
    • I with the zombie game fad would end.
    • I feel MGS4 is the weakest MGS game and I feel Kojima is burnt out on the franchise and needs to finally move on.
    • FFX is a mediocre game
    • Motomu Toriyama (Director of FFX, X-2, XII:RW, and the XIII trilogy) and Kazuhige Nojima (writer of FFVII, VIII, X, X-2, XIII concept, KH2) are largely responsible for the drop in quality of Square games.
    • I feel the Igarashi era of Castlevania is the best era.
    • I feel that Valkyria Chronicles is a great concept that is marred by poor execution and shackled with a plot that represents a large part of what I feel is wrong with the JRPG genre.
    • FFXIII is one of the worst huge budget games to come out in the last decade.
    • FFXII was the last good FF.
    • Street Fighter peaked with the Alpha series and SFIV.
    • Marvel Vs. Capcom 1 was the last good Vs game Capcom made with the Marvel franchise.
    • BlazBlue isn't that good.
    • Xenogears OST is the best work of Yasunori Mitsdua's career in game music.
    • The Sega Saturn was one of Sega's best consoles.
    • The N64 was a terrible system.
    • Moogles are better than Chocobos (sorry BoB, it's just true)
    • Mega Man X6 was the last good traditional X game.
    • I don't feel that Persona 4 is as good as Persona 2 and Persona 3
    • AC: Revelations is the best of the EzioTrilogy, in fact it may be the best game in the franchise.
    • God of War is not as good as Devil May Cry and the franchise needs to finally end.
    • Breath of Fire V is actually one of the best games in the series and was a ahead of its time for the JRPG genre.
    • BoF3 is better than BoF4
    • 358/2 and Chain of Memories are the best written entries in Kingdom Hearts
    • Crisis Core was a terrible game that failed to live up to its potential.

Quote Originally Posted by shion View Post
    I like Penelo and Vanille.
    I share this one.

Final Fantasy VIII is tied for my second favorite Final Fantasy. I really enjoy the love story and I like Squall a lot as a character. He is actually my favorite Final Fantasy main hero.
    FFVIII isn't that high on my list, but I do really like Squall as a character and I enjoy the love story.

I think Final Fantasy X-2 is a great game.
    I don't think that's exactly unpopular anymore. As with Wind Waker, hating it was the only opinion anyone voiced when it came out, but since then, everyone realized just how much good there actually is in the game.

I don't find FPS fun at all.
    Have you played Metroid Prime?

I hate challenging and difficult games. I know some people enjoy it, and that's really great for them, but I can't stand it when a game is too difficult. I play a game to relax, enjoy myself, lose myself in the world and story, and I personally cannot do any of that when I'm stuck doing the same fights over and over again because they're difficult.
    I mostly agree, but I like having the options. The worst is games that claim to have difficulty settings, but they don't change a lot.

I like the newer Pokemon just fine, some of them even more than some Gen I Pokemon. I'm not sure if this counts for video games, but I'm going to assume so because they have video games!
    I agree. Some of the Gen I Pokémon are just kind of "huh". However, there are lackluster Pokémon in every Gen. I think Gen IV is probably my least favorite. Gen III is disqualified because it's the only Gen I never finished.

I think the junction/GF system in VIII was enjoyable, and I'm glad they tried something new.
    I don't know that anyone would disagree with that. It is enjoyable. It's just broken as all heck.

Speaking of VIII, I have never played Triple Triad and I have no intention of ever doing so. Just reading over the rules made me turn off to it altogether.
    Not a fan of math?

I like Cait Sith.
    So do I, but not enough to ever use him in battle.

I like Kimahri. I think he's the best character in X by a good margin.
    Really?

I like Yuna's voice acting.
    Yep, me too.

Quina is my second favorite IX character and one of my favorite video game characters ever.
    First Kimahri, now Quina? C'mon, shion.

Tifa's boobs are not attractive, but absurd and ridiculous.
    There is so much more to character design and attractiveness that her bust has honestly never been a major factor to me, positively or negatively. Do so many guys really just focus on a girl's boobs immediately?

I tried playing Chrono Cross but it couldn't hold my interest.
    Agreed.
    My friend Delzethin is currently running a GoFundMe account to pay for some extended medical troubles he's had. He's had chronic issues and lifetime troubles that have really crippled his career opportunities, and he's trying to get enough funding to get back to a stable medical situation. If you like his content, please support his GoFundMe, or even just contribute to his Patreon.

He can really use a hand with this, and any support you can offer is appreciated.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Pumpkin Contrary (Sargatanas)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

I am not a fan of math and I am a lady :P

Kimahri and Quina are awesome

Quote Originally Posted by shion View Post
    I am not a fan of math and I am a lady :P
    I know that (the second bit). But guys are usually the ones who stress that feature. My question was a general one, not directed at you specifically.
    My friend Delzethin is currently running a GoFundMe account to pay for some extended medical troubles he's had. He's had chronic issues and lifetime troubles that have really crippled his career opportunities, and he's trying to get enough funding to get back to a stable medical situation. If you like his content, please support his GoFundMe, or even just contribute to his Patreon.

He can really use a hand with this, and any support you can offer is appreciated.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Fynnek Zoryasch (Twintania)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

Well, it's hard not to notice when they're that big and would really get in the way with her battle style

Here's another one.

I think Final Fantasy IX is overrated.

I played it, I beat it several times, and that's why I have no desire to ever play it again. True it has a decent story, and the storytelling itself was excellent, but at the end of the day it's still a barebones story.

Compare to something like Xenogears. I have no problem admitting FFIX is a better put together game than it but I'd rather play XG over and over again because it never loses that "It" factor that draws you in again and again.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Fynnek Zoryasch (Twintania)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

I think Xenogears is both terrible and incredibly awesome. It is the only game to achieve that feat in my opinion.

I love Chrono Cross to bit.

I think Silent Hill 2 has the best story in a video game of all time. While this may not be exactly unpopular, let me just stress that I think it is hands-down the best story ever. Nothing can beat it. Nothing.

On that note, I don't think people know how to do horror nowadays, and it's not just a video game problem. But horror is really subjective, so...

I was severely disappointed by The Last Story. It had a lot of good stuff in it, don't get be wrong, but it just didn't click with me as well as I expected. Plus, the romance plot is just abysmal.

Final Fantasy X blows.

Final Fantasy XII is the best, most polished, most mature and subtle of the numbered titles.

Xenoblade Chronicles is the single greatest game in existence.

The Sims 3 with all of its expansions is an incredibly deep and layered game with tons of content and replay value and I can't stop playing it.

Articles
    Blog Entries

Unpopular Opnions
    Mmhmm.

Video Game Edition
    My time has come

I appreciate what From Software is doing with the Souls franchise. I've been a fan of theirs since Armored Core. But I did not enjoy Dark Souls and most likely wouldn't have played it if it wasn't for a review. It's a game meant to be frustrating in order to make mastering it more rewarding and the rest can only be enjoyed online, and I hate games where you only get the most out of it online. I don't like playing online. Dark Souls also fails to give a proper introduction to the world, it fails to be self explanatory in how to play it and is one of the only games I've played where reading a guide is not only expected but necessary if you intend to get anywhere. And quite frankly it went to ridiculous leanths just to up the difficulty and make it even more frustrating than it already was. You know a game that's hard and also fun? Spelunky. I think I'll stick with that.

I don't like MMOs. It goes back to my not enjoying online games. There are exceptions to this but they are few and far between and even then they cannot hold my interest long enough to keep me playing for more than a couple of weeks before I get bored with them. If I wanted to play multiplayer I'd rather do it where the person is sitting next to me with their own controller. At least then we can actually talk about the game together.

I was never bothered by the laughing scene in X. I'm rarely bothered by any of the things that people are bothered about with various games throughout history. VIII's characters are another example of this. It's weird because I'll often be annoyed at petty things but it's rare when it comes to video games and such.

I don't think Devil May Cry 2 is as bad a game for the reasons the fans think it is. I don't think it's a good game either, but it had a lot of potential that was unfortunately wasted. A more serious Dante was a step up IMO if only they acknowledged the change between games. But we don't get as much as a hint, we're just expected to accept he's changed and not question it. No. WTF, Capcom? Dante is different and you can at least tell us why! I still prefer it to Devil May Cry 4 which story was all over the damn place and felt more like a Final Fantasy game than a Devil May Cry game.

DMC1 Dante wasn't cool. He felt like a guy who was trying to be badass and cool instead of actually being badass and cool. The writing was terrible in the first game. Give him a personality. Give him flaws. Make us actually bloody invested in his story. No. Just have him say things that cliche cool people say and then overact when he tries to be serious. That's so much better -- NOT!

I do not care for Bethesda style when it comes to RPGs. Even though I enjoyed Fallout 3 and what I played of Skyrim, the style of their RPGs with the first-person point of view, lack of voice for your character and meh dialog options are something that turns me off and make me bored before very long. I have been spoiled by JRPGs and BioWare style of RPGs. I get the appeal of Bethesda RPGs, but I cannot enjoy them as much as I do with BioWare and all the old JRPGs I used to play.

I found Mortal Kombat 3 and 4 to be underwhelming and didn't enjoy the games again until Deadly Alliance. I liked the story arc that went across DA, Deception and Armageddon leading into a time travel reboot with the most recent installment.

Fighting games can have good story and character progression, as proven by Evil Zone and even Mortal Kombat, so I refuse to accept the argument that fighting games don't have good story because they're fighting games. It's an excuse for the ones that have bad stories, nothing more.

> I love Final Fantasy VII, most likely favorite Final Fantasy game

> I despise Balthier from Final Fantasy XII

> I can't stand most Mario games, and find them overated.

> I can't stand Sonic 3

> I hate Halo

> I hate World Of Warcraft

> I loved Hope in Final Fantasy XIII, and thought that he was one of the best parts of the game

> I fail to see the point of why the N64 is so praised minus the Zelda games, when the PlayStation was a zillion better console, and yet on most gaming lists the N64 is rated so high and the PlayStation is below it.
    Butt-hurt Nintendo fanboy made the list ?

> I fail to see the point of SNES vs Genesis, it's going TODAY, both of the retro consoles are great. Stop it.

> Ninja Gaiden on the NES isn't that frustrating or annoying, it's hard, but it's more fun than annoying.

> MMO's suck

> War games suck

Dead Space is a bad game.

Killer7 is one of the best games on the Gamecube.

Super Mario Sunshine is the best 3D Mario.

Super Meat Boy is not good enough to warrant the praise it's gotten.