Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Unpopular Opinions: Video Game Edition Redux

Slothstronaut Recognized Member Slothy's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by The Man View Post
    And Vivi is correct about the controls; even to this day nearly every 3D platformer that comes out owes a huge debt to SM64. It set a standard for gameplay that honestly hasn't been topped.
    It's not even just platformers if you think about it. Something as simple as having 3D camera control originates there. It certainly wasn't perfect with the c-buttons of course, but it was workable, and even back then Nintendo recognized the need for it to make 3D games work. And out of that we not only get camera control on the right stick in later titles, but aiming using the right stick in third person shooters since it's fundamentally the same (though it's also influenced by FPS titles as well. There's a lot of intermingling of possible origins at that time). And the Turok series was also probably one of the first to allow aiming using the stick while moving which was freaking huge at the time. It was quite a while before we saw that on a Playstation console. Hell, Medal of Honor, which came out almost a year and a half after the release of the dual shock in North America didn't do it, and I'll admit to liking the game quite a bit myself, in spite of the awful controls. In fact, I don't remember dual analog controls becoming really prevelant until the PS2 had hit and we started getting things like Timesplitters. THough I didn't play many FPS games on the PSX because of how awful most controlled.

Articles
    Blog Entries

Nintendo always gets a bad wrap for being more family orientated and having a long list of games aimed at children, but they really do know their trout. When I went back to Ocarina of Time last November Hyrule still looked beautiful even by today's standards.

Articles
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by Old Manus View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by shion View Post
    Why do you guys think Tomb Raider sold out?
    A lot of people like it, but in my opinion:

• Iconic dual pistols replaced with am ~edgy~ bow and arrow. It's like switching out James Bond's handgun with a club.
    • The original games were smurfing hard, man. I mean, properly difficult. You could spend ages padding about trying to open a door. This one smurfing LIGHTS UP EXACTLY WHAT YOU NEED TO DO if you spend more than a paltry amount of time trying to figure it out. Why do games these days always have to hold your hand every step of the way for fear you might get bored and switch off if a puzzle requires anything approaching player agency?
    • The originals had some truly amazing level design. I was playing TR2 the other week and was wowed by how a game made in 1997 still actually looks better and well put together than so many games I've seen since. (Exhibit A Exhibit B Exhibit C). Now it's just 'lol enjoy ur grimdark jungle'. The jungle level in TR3 (nb. Level 1) was more aesthetically pleasing than the whole game.
    • It used to be a more cerebral game with vast levels focused on problem solving, platforming and puzzling, with combat added in to make things interesting. Now it's a cut & paste third person over-the-shoulder shooter. I've played this game hundreds of times before.
    • The character of Lara changed from a no-bulltrout-80s-style-action-hero to your typical vulnerable introspective ~why do i fight~ emotional wuss. Sure, you can say the character is 'deeper' or whatever, but I preferred the action hero.
    • Her accent. Oh my God.

Note: One may get the impression from this post that I actually really care that much. I don't. I just prefer the originals.
    Manus has been able to articulate my feelings well. Summarized, I feel like the integrity of this series has vanished in it's attempt to move away from the original games. They have reinvented Lara Croft, she not the same anymore and neither are the structures of the recent games.

I understand changing up platforms and design and things like that. I can appreciate those things, and wanting to make her appeal more to a mass audience, etc. I just feel that the new games are so foreign-looking and operating that they should be under a completely different franchise.

Slothstronaut Recognized Member Slothy's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by Old Manus View Post
    [*]The character of Lara changed from a no-bulltrout-80s-style-action-hero to your typical vulnerable introspective ~why do i fight~ emotional wuss. Sure, you can say the character is 'deeper' or whatever, but I preferred the action hero.
    I feel like this only holds true for the earlier parts of the game. Later on she's less vulnerable and tends to go full psychopath by the end as she actively wants to kill all of the bad guys on that island.

And as someone who never really played much of the originals and own a bow myself, I preferred the bow to dual pistols. But I'm biased.

Articles
    Blog Entries

It was Lara Croft before she became the woman we knew, the changes made sense. Also, (SPOILER)the dual pistols make their return during the final boss fight.

I too think Lara sold out.

They should have listened to this guy for the plot of the new TR game.

(SPOILER)I've never played a Tomb Raider game. I just found this video and can't stop laughing.

disc jockey to your heart krissy's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

ff13-2 was the most fun rpg in years

ff13 series has the best battle systems in ff history

gta5 is boring. i don't buy the 'its a warped mirror of our societies nowadays' stuff.

spec ops: the line wasn't 'such a great story', and even thought the overarching themes are important it was written pretty badly in terms of pacing
    maybe if the body count had been more believable i'd have been less displaced from the game world
    otherwise it kept repeating that it wasn't a real thing to me

i think i have an issue with games that try to be too realistic in some aspects and a farce in others; spec ops had the makings of a great story, gta games do an entirely believable setting but its not comic book enough for me to take it seriously, or its too comic book for me to take it seriously sometimes.
    i suppose it's an uncanny valley sort of effect for me.
    would rather play little big planet than gta5 right now
    and i dont really like little big planet. doesn't seem to be any interesting puzzles in it.

although gorgeous game.

lego games are boring too

Sky Blue Sky Recognized Member Trumpet Thief's Avatar
    Contributions
    • Contributions to Eizon project

Final Fantasy VI's World of Ruin absolutely ruined the game for me. The cast and crew, up until that point, had such amazing interactions and personal relationships with each other.

Once the 'World of Ruin' section started, any piece of dialogue could have essentially belonged to any of the characters.

Quote Originally Posted by ToriJ View Post
    Nintendo always gets a bad wrap for being more family orientated and having a long list of games aimed at children, but they really do know their trout. When I went back to Ocarina of Time last November Hyrule still looked beautiful even by today's standards.
    I don't hate Nintendo or the N64, I just think that the PlayStation is the more superior console when it comes to 90's video gaming.

SNES
    PlayStation
    Sega Mega Drive/ Genesis

Then N64

Articles
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by maybee View Post
    I don't hate Nintendo or the N64, I just think that the PlayStation is the more superior console when it comes to 90's video gaming.

SNES
    PlayStation
    Sega Mega Drive/ Genesis

Then N64
    I was speaking in general.

Quote Originally Posted by maybee View Post

SNES
    PlayStation
    Sega Mega Drive/ Genesis

Then N64
    I was speaking in general.
    Oh sorry.

:monster:

The world of ruin was the best part of FFVI
    Don't delay, add The Pimp today! Don't delay, add The Pimp today!
    Fool’s Gold tlsfflast.fm (warning: album artwork may sometimes be nsfw)

Quote Originally Posted by The Man View Post
    The world of ruin was the best part of FFVI
    No, the soundtrack was the best part.

Also, I don't know that your opinion is "unpopular".

Rune Factory has a place next to Bravely Default, Super Mario RPG / Paper Mario, and Persona as one of the greatest spin offs in gaming history.

Quote Originally Posted by Forsaken Lover View Post

1. I love almost everything about Star Ocean: The Last Hope.

The whining ruined it ...boo.

Strategy rpgs are awesome~!

absolutely haram Recognized Member Madame Adequate's Avatar

FFXIV Character

Hiero Dule (Brynhildr)
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Persona isn't a good series.