Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Legend of Legaia

Articles
    Blog Entries

Default Legend of Legaia

Something in the mist! Something in the mist! There are monsters. Monsters in the mist! Here it comes! The darkness!

Has anyone here played this game? It was another old favorite of mine from the PlayStation 1 era. I used to watch my brother play it all the time before dabbling into it myself. I was terrible at it, but that didn't stop me from enjoying it. I like all the combo choices you got to choose from instead of just pressing X and watching the character attack. I liked the whole thing with the mist too.

Discuss.

Memento Mori Site Contributor Wolf Kanno's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

I played the demo, and I meant to pick it up but then it kind of just vanished from every game store I went to. I liked the combo system as well, seeing it as an evolution from Xenogears system and I remember the first time I heard about FFIX's world, I was reminded of this game since this one had the magical Mist element long before it. Maybe I'll try to go online and hunt down a copy of this game.

Articles
    Blog Entries

I always enjoyed the trio's hair color in this game. You have blue hair, pink hair and then... brown hair. Just brown. Because he didn't need any special hair color.

Game has some issues, including an ending that wraps up way to nicely, but it's a really fun and solid game.

Articles
    Blog Entries

I wouldn't have thought a nicely wrapped up ending would be considered an issue.

Its probably considered too cookie-cutter and generic these days. All except for that glorious battle system. I've always wanted to play an RPG with a fighting game battle engine. And this is probably as close as I'd get. And I loved it. I only played through it the one time, so I'm not sure how well it'd hold up these days. But damn was it a great one-time play through. I loved the world and the characters, and that damn battle system. Everyone seems to compare it to Xenogears. The one magazine I got as a kid said that it was Xenogears battle system on steroids lol And they were completely right

Quote Originally Posted by ToriJ View Post
    I wouldn't have thought a nicely wrapped up ending would be considered an issue.
    I should have worded it 'It felt to convenient and sugary'. My bad.

Ghost of Christmas' past Recognized Member theundeadhero's Avatar

FFXIV Character

Villania Valski (Adamantoise)
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Senior Site Staff

I was the first playstation game I played many years ago. I didn't have much to compare it to other than previous gen RPGs but I choose it because it was an RPG and remember enjoying it. I don't remember much else about it.

I made it to the final boss but never beat it. This is one of those games I rented and kept going back to rent it again rather than actually buying it. I currently own Duel Saga, its sequel. One thing I didn't appreciate about the game was that each character was always one step ahead of the next. Vahn was always ahead of Noah who was always ahead of Gala making their skills uneven.
    Jack: How do you know?

Will: It's more of a feeling really.

Jack: Well, that's not scientific. Feeling isn't knowing. Feeling is believing. If you believe it, you can't know because there's no knowing what you believe. Then again, no one should believe what they know either. Once you know anything that anything becomes unbelievable if only by virtue of the fact you now... know it. You know?

Will: No.

If Demolition Man were remade today

Huxley: What's wrong? You broke contact.
    Spartan: Contact? I didn't even touch you.
    Huxley: Don't you want to make love?
    Spartan: Is that what you call this? Why don't we just do it the old-fashioned way?
    Huxley: NO!
    Spartan: Whoa! Okay, calm down.
    Huxley: Don't tell me to calm down!
    Spartan: What's gotten into you? 'Cause it sure as hell wasn't me.
    Huxley: Physical relations in the way of intercourse are no longer acceptable John Spartan.
    Spartan: What? Why the hell not?
    Huxley: It's the law, John. And for your information, the very idea that you suggested it makes me feel personally violated.
    Spartan: Wait a minute... violated? Huxley what the hell are you accusing me of here?
    Huxley: You need to leave, John.
    Spartan: But Huxley.
    Huxley: Get out!
    Moments later Spartan is arrested for "violating" Huxley.

By the way, that's called satire. Get over it.

Noah was the one ahead the whole game up until you get to Gala's Super Arts, which is when he takes over the power crunch.

Blog Entries

I loved Legend of Legaia as it was one of my earliest RPG's. For the longest time I wanted to play Legend of Legaia 2 but I never found a copy and when I finally got a chance to play it my ability to appreciate old games which I hadnt played before had dropped.

Also theres a brief section where you have Vahn and Gala but not Noa which is a great chance to grind Gala to make thier levels match. Theres also the dungeon where they split into 3 parties.
    This is just for if you are crazy and never want any characters to be unconcious.

I also never let anyone except Vahn equip Mei's Pendant because that would be rude.

The only other ps1 game I had before this was MGS1 so I thought maybe 10-12 hours was a good game length and when I destroyed the first Mist Generator I was all "well game almost finished, that was fun" Except that's silly since I only just got Gala
    Last edited by blackmage_nuke; 04-13-2014 at 02:29 PM.
    Kefka's coming, look intimidating!
    Have a nice day!!

Articles
    Blog Entries

lol, yeah. MGS is pretty short when you take away the cut-scenes.

I heard about the second Legaia for PS2 -- which I think is more of a spin-off or something than a direct sequel -- I haven't heard good things about it.

Contributions
    • Notable contributions to Final Fantasy forums

Quote Originally Posted by Wolf Kanno View Post
    I played the demo, and I meant to pick it up
    My story exactly. My 13 year old self was really psyched about it, but it somehow slipped my mind in the next 3 years before I bought myself a PlayStation.
    >>Am willing to change opinions based on data<<

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Editor

I played the sequel and liked that.

Quote Originally Posted by NeoCracker View Post
    Noah was the one ahead the whole game up until you get to Gala's Super Arts, which is when he takes over the power crunch.
    One of the primary goals of the game is to travel to these temples and get these creatures to give you superpowers (my memory's vague). Since Vahn is your first character, he always has the most out of the three. Then Noa. Then Gala. Stats-be-damned. I think it had to do with the number of arts they had available. There were three attacks that required books and as I remember, each character learned their attacks from the same book. So Vahn would learn his first attack from the first book. Noa would learn hers while Vahn learned his second. Gala would learn his while Noa learned her second and Vahn learned his third. At least, I think that's how it went. I need to play this game again.
    Jack: How do you know?

Will: It's more of a feeling really.

Jack: Well, that's not scientific. Feeling isn't knowing. Feeling is believing. If you believe it, you can't know because there's no knowing what you believe. Then again, no one should believe what they know either. Once you know anything that anything becomes unbelievable if only by virtue of the fact you now... know it. You know?

Will: No.

If Demolition Man were remade today

Huxley: What's wrong? You broke contact.
    Spartan: Contact? I didn't even touch you.
    Huxley: Don't you want to make love?
    Spartan: Is that what you call this? Why don't we just do it the old-fashioned way?
    Huxley: NO!
    Spartan: Whoa! Okay, calm down.
    Huxley: Don't tell me to calm down!
    Spartan: What's gotten into you? 'Cause it sure as hell wasn't me.
    Huxley: Physical relations in the way of intercourse are no longer acceptable John Spartan.
    Spartan: What? Why the hell not?
    Huxley: It's the law, John. And for your information, the very idea that you suggested it makes me feel personally violated.
    Spartan: Wait a minute... violated? Huxley what the hell are you accusing me of here?
    Huxley: You need to leave, John.
    Spartan: But Huxley.
    Huxley: Get out!
    Moments later Spartan is arrested for "violating" Huxley.

By the way, that's called satire. Get over it.