Thread: Story: The Weak Link

Memento Mori Site Contributor Wolf Kanno's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Boco Story: The Weak Link

FFV is a game that gets overlooked a lot and one thing that is usually used as a basis for this is that it's characters and story are not as compelling as the melodrama titles it is sandwiched between. Do you feel the plot is weak, what about the characters?

Articles
    Blog Entries

The only thing I remember about the plot is the elemental crystals or whatever being taken away causing the elements of wind, water, earth and fire to disappear from the world. So I guess you can claim it's weak because it's kind of rehashing the first game's plot, minus the fire bit, and that when compared to how big the stories of IV and VI were, yeah. But by itself I'm not convinced. And I thought the characters were a highlight of the game and is what kept me playing most of all.

FFXIV Character

Laurelin Kementari (Sargatanas)

I think that's bull. V had a very enjoyable story, with good characters, a great support cast and a menacing villain. The whole "crystals are rehashed from the NES titles!" is kind of a moot argument, since IV had crystals, too, and was lauded for its story. Besides, rehash doesn't mean it's bad.

I think the reason people feel the story is weak (though it isn't) is because the gameplay is so far into excellence territory.

Huh? Flower?! What the hell?! Administrator Psychotic's Avatar
    Articles

I think the problem was the script. It reminds me of the Lord of the Rings - a great story but just written poorly, although the writing wasn't great with FFV for entirely different reasons.

Articles
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Elpizo View Post
    I think that's bull. V had a very enjoyable story, with good characters, a great support cast and a menacing villain. The whole "crystals are rehashed from the NES titles!" is kind of a moot argument, since IV had crystals, too, and was lauded for its story. Besides, rehash doesn't mean it's bad.

I think the reason people feel the story is weak (though it isn't) is because the gameplay is so far into excellence territory.
    I never played IV so I didn't know that at all. I was just guessing what things people could/would find wrong with the story based off the little I could remember.

Quote Originally Posted by Psychotic View Post
    It reminds me of the Lord of the Rings - a great story but just written poorly
    What-Are-You-Tolkien-About_o_96414.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Psychotic View Post
    I think the problem was the script. It reminds me of the Lord of the Rings - a great story but just written poorly, although the writing wasn't great with FFV for entirely different reasons.
    That is what it is supposed to be with X-Death based on Sauron.

Memento Mori Site Contributor Wolf Kanno's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by Elpizo View Post

I disagree on a few points here.

The plot is kind of a re-hash of the plot of FFIII to some degree. Four heroes tasked by the crystal to save them from destruction before they unseal the terrible Void, job classes are involved. Granted FFV's plot is far more robust and it actually has a cast of lfeshed out party members but it does feel like FFV could be a re-imagining of FFIII. Granted, I don't think this is a terrible thing. I love FFXII but even I'll admit it re-hashed FFII's plot.

The other issue here, and the reason why I feel V gets hit with the weak story angle is that it is a very plot-driven game. The FFs which are said to have best stories tend to be character-driven. This is the big difference between FFIV and FFV for instance. Even though both games deal with crystals, the plot in IV is largely there to explain why the various characters meet each other and have their drama, but it's the drama which is the important part of the story. V has it's dramatic moments but let's face it, FFV is not the story of Bartz or any of the other party members. We learn interesting things about the characters that flesh them out as characters, but the story is not about these characters dealing with some personal struggle and reaching an epiphany. IV is about Cecil and his struggles to redeem his past actions, about Kain's jealousy, about Rydia's hardship, Edward mourning Anna's death and Tellah foolishing pursuing a path of revenge that kills him. V? Well Bartz is afraid of heights and learns his father was a Dawn Warrior.

There are some character building moments for the cast but FFV downplays them whereas FFIV and FFVI play them as the main attraction. Lenna has her reunion with her sister, her father's death, and the story of her and the Wind Drake, but the first element is largely played for laughs than as a real character building moment for either her and Faris while the second is thought about for two seconds before the plot interrupts the reflection to bring you the next stage of the story. The last part is a real character building thing but it's less of Lenna overcoming a struggle than her remembering a time she did so in the past. Great character development but it's not something dwelled upon afterwards very much. The whole cast kind of falls into this, FFV is not about these characters and their personal dramas, it's about a colorful cast of characters going on a fun-filled journey of peril and danger across alien worlds and conspiracies. Yet, it's not like the more character-driven stories where it really is about the cast.

If you tried to describe the plot of FFIV without going into any detail about the characters, it would be very difficult and feel disjointed because it's the character-driven elements that move the plot along and are the most interesting. Try the same with FFVI and you'll see it's plot is rather simplistic and the WoR is largely non-existent. This is because the game is really about the cast of characters and the whole deal with the Empire, Returners, Warring Traid, and Espers are just an excuse plot so we can meet the colorful cast of characters and watch them overcome their personal dramas. VII is the same way and so is FFX and XIII.

FFV on the otherhand, you could describe its whole story in detail without losing much by ignoring the party details, and in fact it would probably take longer to describe it's events than some of the other games. I'm not saying that this approach to storytelling is bad but looking at the fanbase, it seems obvious they prefer a character-driven piece. This is made clear when you look at FFXII, another plot-driven game which the fanbase often decries for its weak story, but in reality FFXII has a great story, it's just not character-driven like the rest of the series.

Krankzinnigheid ligt dich Colonel Angus's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Editor

Good point, Wolf. FFV de-emphasizes the drama which happens to the characters. Sure, the characters get sad when they encounter a loss, but then it's kind of, "oh, well, let's get on w/ this saving the world business" w/ a depressed head nod. IDK if it's just to move the story along @ a quicker pace, or what. The drama seems to come as fast as it goes.

One could take that as a good thing or a bad thing. I personally like the characters & their stories. Ex-Death is a great villain & the supporting cast is fun.

I just don't know how they couldn't tell Faris was a chick.

Quote Originally Posted by Colonel Angus View Post

I just don't know how they couldn't tell Faris was a chick.
    because most Japanese guys in video games and anime look like women. They have most likely seen tons of males that look like chicks before Faris.

:/