Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: What RPG do you want to see an HD remake of?

tech spirit
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Mirage Askai (Sargatanas)

Quote Originally Posted by Formalhaut View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Skyblade View Post
    Final Fantasy Type-0.

Forget Final Fantasy XV. I really think it's going to be another major disappointment, and I don't know that the series is going to survive another. Pull out Type-0. Rebuild it as a console release with full HD graphics, and drop that on us. It will do brilliantly. It already has the scope and depth of a full entry in the series.
    I agree. I really like the look of Type-0, but can't play it. I think it'd do swimmingly. As for FFXII, the mechanics effectively made spells fairly useless, especially towards the later stages of the game. Physical attacks that combo highly effectively made offensive magic fairly redundant. FFXII would be nice remade, but it's too recent a Final Fantasy for it to be considered.
    It's not a lot more recent than FFX-2
    everything is wrapped in gray
    i'm focusing on your image
    can you hear me in the void?

disc jockey to your heart krissy's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Big D View Post
    Vagrant Story. This would make me happy in so many ways.
    ya
    "i am the hd reinforcements"

Eggstreme Wheelie Recognized Member Jiro's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Editor
    • Notable contributions to former community wiki

Quote Originally Posted by Jinx View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Sephiroth View Post
    .hack.
    This is one thing we can agree on, sir. This game was AWESOME.
    I'm on board. Gimme gimme.

They see me rolling. They hating, patrolling.
    Trying to catch me riding dirty.

Quote Originally Posted by Jiro View Post
    .hack.
    All 7 please.

Crazy Scot. Cid's Knight Shauna's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Sheetle Bug (Twintania)

Quote Originally Posted by Tasura View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Jiro View Post
    .hack.
    All 7 please.
    Maybe release the GU games outside of JP and NA!

Memento Mori Site Contributor Wolf Kanno's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

I'd like for spells like Scathe, or enemy skills like Sandstorm, to not utterly break the basic functionality of the mechanics, myself.

I'd also like to see some form of difficulty besides "unblockable instant-kill attacks". But this isn't supposed to be a complaints about XII thread, sorry. I would like to see an HD version, but I would like the mechanics cleaned up (since apparently the spell problem was caused by the inability of the PS2 to handle more happening, so it locked your other abilities out while those types of abilities were in use).

I agree. I really like the look of Type-0, but can't play it. I think it'd do swimmingly. As for FFXII, the mechanics effectively made spells fairly useless, especially towards the later stages of the game. Physical attacks that combo highly effectively made offensive magic fairly redundant. FFXII would be nice remade, but it's too recent a Final Fantasy for it to be considered.
    chrono-trigger-objection.gif

I disagree with you both, largely because the queue issue in my opinion is much like combos and juggles in Street Fighter and Mortal Kombat, an unintentional fluke caused by a coding error, but one that actually adds a level of strategy we didn't even think about.

Magic is actually useful because of the queue issue, as it allows the player to have some limited control of turn order and you can effectively stun lock some of the nastier bosses, Espers, and Mark Hunts in the game if you understand how to take advantage of it. Even better is that the game can do the same to your party, so it does change how you do some Gambit set-ups.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Fynnek Zoryasch (Twintania)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

I know it doesn't count as an HD remake, but I want Planescape: Torment on my 3DS and I want it now!

Quote Originally Posted by Wolf Kanno View Post

I'd like for spells like Scathe, or enemy skills like Sandstorm, to not utterly break the basic functionality of the mechanics, myself.

I'd also like to see some form of difficulty besides "unblockable instant-kill attacks". But this isn't supposed to be a complaints about XII thread, sorry. I would like to see an HD version, but I would like the mechanics cleaned up (since apparently the spell problem was caused by the inability of the PS2 to handle more happening, so it locked your other abilities out while those types of abilities were in use).

chrono-trigger-objection.gif

I disagree with you both, largely because the queue issue in my opinion is much like combos and juggles in Street Fighter and Mortal Kombat, an unintentional fluke caused by a coding error, but one that actually adds a level of strategy we didn't even think about.

Magic is actually useful because of the queue issue, as it allows the player to have some limited control of turn order and you can effectively stun lock some of the nastier bosses, Espers, and Mark Hunts in the game if you understand how to take advantage of it. Even better is that the game can do the same to your party, so it does change how you do some Gambit set-ups.
    If there was "strategy" to it, I'd think the same thing. Except there isn't. It removes nearly all strategy from the game, because it locks down all combat except basic attacks.

You talk about "stun-locking" enemies. But enemies don't suffer from it nearly as much as you do. Any of these spells block only other spells. Or items. So you have no way to heal, no way to replenish buffs (and XIII made buffs incredibly important), and no way to cure poison. So you'll continue to take damage, poison damage, etcetera, and you'll be getting weaker because your buffs will be wearing off constantly. And you will get no opportunity to counter this. Sure, you can use your own spells, but they'll just lock you out the same way.

The further you get into the game, the more enemies you get whose strategy consist entirely of "spam big spells so you can't do anything except attack", turning everything into a boring war of attrition as to who can win with basic attacks first.
    My friend Delzethin is currently running a GoFundMe account to pay for some extended medical troubles he's had. He's had chronic issues and lifetime troubles that have really crippled his career opportunities, and he's trying to get enough funding to get back to a stable medical situation. If you like his content, please support his GoFundMe, or even just contribute to his Patreon.

He can really use a hand with this, and any support you can offer is appreciated.

Honestly at this point in time I'm just hoping FFXII gets a HD Remaster, much like FFX/X-2 before it.

"... and so I close, realizing that perhaps the ending has not yet been written."

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

If there was "strategy" to it, I'd think the same thing. Except there isn't. It removes nearly all strategy from the game, because it locks down all combat except basic attacks.
    This is my point, because preventing the enemies to pull off their attacks except for basic means your own party can get free hits while the monster's special attack is waiting for your high tier spell to cast. It's actually a very effective stratgy for stopping several bosses and Mark hunts.

You talk about "stun-locking" enemies. But enemies don't suffer from it nearly as much as you do. Any of these spells block only other spells. Or items. So you have no way to heal, no way to replenish buffs (and XIII made buffs incredibly important), and no way to cure poison. So you'll continue to take damage, poison damage, etcetera, and you'll be getting weaker because your buffs will be wearing off constantly. And you will get no opportunity to counter this. Sure, you can use your own spells, but they'll just lock you out the same way.
    Actually items have the same queue rating as attacks, so only magic spells are hampered and this all only happens if you yourself are being lazy about not using the strategy in the first place or paying attention to enemy patterns. Likewise, although your main party can't do anything in battle, it doesn't mean you can't pause the game shift your B squad in, and have them take the hit while your main party retains all their buffs and health in the reserve section.

Yes, some enemies do get abilities that will throw this all out the window but not nearly as many as I feel you think their are and many that do have the Zero Charge or the Attack CT = 0 ability don't usually start with the ability and instead unlock it once it gets to a certain threshhold in it's HP. Meaning that with careful planning, you can knock them down close to it and try to finish it with a quickening chain. I mean the ideal strategy for Zodiark is to stun lock him until he's half way dead and then pull off a quickening chain to kill him before he pulls out a physical pailing.

The further you get into the game, the more enemies you get whose strategy consist entirely of "spam big spells so you can't do anything except attack", turning everything into a boring war of attrition as to who can win with basic attacks first.
    This pretty much tells me you never bothered to even try by this point because it's not really like that. I take it you never finished this game cause not many of the game's nastier enemies even try to pull off the strategy you are talking about except maybe the espers but that's kind of expected of them. Seriously the more terrifying strategies by the nastier game enemies don't involve screwing you with the queue system and the enemies that get the CT=0 abilities for attack and magic, that is hardly what makes them difficult. It's usually their defensive abilities that make them all a pain in the ass. Zodiark? Would be a pansy if he didn't become immune to melee attacks halfway through the fight, in fact stun locking him becomes a necessary strategy to even win. Hell most of the Esper battles are difficult because of the ability restrictions placed on you rather than them stun-locking you. Pyrolaster and Yiazmat? The real issue is their access to the skill that doubles their levels and basically doubles their attack power and halfs all your damage against them, making the fight a scramble to kill them before they kill you. Gilgamesh is mostly a pain because of his Blue Magic spamming and none of it really stun locks you as much as just screws up and unprepared party. Final boss? He's got a few spammy special attacks but what really makes him a chore is his use of pailings. Hell I would argue the pailing are probably the biggest pain in the players ass but I don't really mind them that much cause they keep me on my toes.

It's honestly not a big factor for the enemies if you the player make sure to take advantage of it first and use other strategies to minimize it's effectiveness against you.

The Old Skool Warrior LocoColt04's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Crysanthe Mariveaux (Ultros)

Reaching prior to Sixth Generation, I could definitely give the obvious answers... Final Fantasy I - IX, Mana series, Chrono series, Vagrant Story, Valkyrie Profile, etc.

But, as those are terribly unlikely because they would require full overhauls from the very bottom up, here are my Sixth Generation RPG favorites for remake:

• Baten Kaitos I, II
    • Final Fantasy XII
    • Rogue Galaxy
    • Skies of Arcadia: Legends
    • Suikoden V
    • Xenosaga I, II, III

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Loony Bob (Twintania)

FFI through to FFIX. For VII, VIII and IX, they would simply be redone in high def. For FFI through to FFVI, the games would be redone in 3D. I'd love for this to happen. Not expecting it to, though.

Oh, and FFXI, but people have been crying out for that for years.
    Bow before the mighty Javoo!

Quote Originally Posted by Wolf Kanno View Post

This is my point, because preventing the enemies to pull off their attacks except for basic means your own party can get free hits while the monster's special attack is waiting for your high tier spell to cast. It's actually a very effective stratgy for stopping several bosses and Mark hunts.

Actually items have the same queue rating as attacks, so only magic spells are hampered and this all only happens if you yourself are being lazy about not using the strategy in the first place or paying attention to enemy patterns. Likewise, although your main party can't do anything in battle, it doesn't mean you can't pause the game shift your B squad in, and have them take the hit while your main party retains all their buffs and health in the reserve section.

Yes, some enemies do get abilities that will throw this all out the window but not nearly as many as I feel you think their are and many that do have the Zero Charge or the Attack CT = 0 ability don't usually start with the ability and instead unlock it once it gets to a certain threshhold in it's HP. Meaning that with careful planning, you can knock them down close to it and try to finish it with a quickening chain. I mean the ideal strategy for Zodiark is to stun lock him until he's half way dead and then pull off a quickening chain to kill him before he pulls out a physical pailing.

This pretty much tells me you never bothered to even try by this point because it's not really like that. I take it you never finished this game cause not many of the game's nastier enemies even try to pull off the strategy you are talking about except maybe the espers but that's kind of expected of them. Seriously the more terrifying strategies by the nastier game enemies don't involve screwing you with the queue system and the enemies that get the CT=0 abilities for attack and magic, that is hardly what makes them difficult. It's usually their defensive abilities that make them all a pain in the ass. Zodiark? Would be a pansy if he didn't become immune to melee attacks halfway through the fight, in fact stun locking him becomes a necessary strategy to even win. Hell most of the Esper battles are difficult because of the ability restrictions placed on you rather than them stun-locking you. Pyrolaster and Yiazmat? The real issue is their access to the skill that doubles their levels and basically doubles their attack power and halfs all your damage against them, making the fight a scramble to kill them before they kill you. Gilgamesh is mostly a pain because of his Blue Magic spamming and none of it really stun locks you as much as just screws up and unprepared party. Final boss? He's got a few spammy special attacks but what really makes him a chore is his use of pailings. Hell I would argue the pailing are probably the biggest pain in the players ass but I don't really mind them that much cause they keep me on my toes.

It's honestly not a big factor for the enemies if you the player make sure to take advantage of it first and use other strategies to minimize it's effectiveness against you.
    When I said you get more and more enemies that acted that way, I never mentioned bosses.

Do you remember little guys called Baknamy? Yeah, their entire strategy consists of spamming Sandstorm and beating the crap out of you in large groups. They aren't the only random enemy to do this.

Bosses aren't really a problem, in fact, they're almost comically easy, because there is only one of them, and usually their spells are their heavy hitters, so you can stun lock them. But random mobs who abuse this tactic (which, again, increase in number the further in you get) are just annoying to fight.

Most bosses wind up in resulting to cheap tactics to win, or being a complete pushover. You say that the doubling damage was the problem with Yiazmat and Zodiark, but honestly, the only trouble I ever had with them was their instant-death moves. The biggest problem most Espers gave me was getting their rare steals.
    My friend Delzethin is currently running a GoFundMe account to pay for some extended medical troubles he's had. He's had chronic issues and lifetime troubles that have really crippled his career opportunities, and he's trying to get enough funding to get back to a stable medical situation. If you like his content, please support his GoFundMe, or even just contribute to his Patreon.

He can really use a hand with this, and any support you can offer is appreciated.

FF1, 5 and 7
    Xenogears
    SO3

aaaaaand Mega Man Legends. you want to talk about an underrated game...

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

When I said you get more and more enemies that acted that way, I never mentioned bosses.

Do you remember little guys called Baknamy? Yeah, their entire strategy consists of spamming Sandstorm and beating the crap out of you in large groups. They aren't the only random enemy to do this.

Bosses aren't really a problem, in fact, they're almost comically easy, because there is only one of them, and usually their spells are their heavy hitters, so you can stun lock them. But random mobs who abuse this tactic (which, again, increase in number the further in you get) are just annoying to fight.

Most bosses wind up in resulting to cheap tactics to win, or being a complete pushover. You say that the doubling damage was the problem with Yiazmat and Zodiark, but honestly, the only trouble I ever had with them was their instant-death moves. The biggest problem most Espers gave me was getting their rare steals.
    The issue here is that your complaint can still be resolved by being more proactive with enemy encounters and utilizing the queue for your own benefit. I never had issues with the Baknamy after the initial encounter with them. I honestly have more issues with respawning army of undead in some areas than those critters or the bombs, or some of the bigger beasts.