View Poll Results: Paper or Pixel?

Voters
32. You may not vote on this poll
  • E-Readers all the way! Technology is awesome.

5 15.63%
  • I like my books and will never part with them!

10 31.25%
  • Both are okay. I don't discriminate.

17 53.13%
  • Sorry, I don't read.

0 0%
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Paper or Pixel: How do you read?

absolutely haram Recognized Member Madame Adequate's Avatar

FFXIV Character

Hiero Dule (Brynhildr)
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by Shorty View Post
    I'm stingy and I torrent.

I haven't paid for any books since December And before then, I was reading them all on best-library.net.
    THEN WHO WAS SALE?!

Also Naughty words

The fourth option failed to take into account that those who can't read couldn't read what the options say.
    My friend Delzethin is currently running a GoFundMe account to pay for some extended medical troubles he's had. He's had chronic issues and lifetime troubles that have really crippled his career opportunities, and he's trying to get enough funding to get back to a stable medical situation. If you like his content, please support his GoFundMe, or even just contribute to his Patreon.

He can really use a hand with this, and any support you can offer is appreciated.

Articles
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Adequate View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Shorty View Post
    I'm stingy and I torrent.

I haven't paid for any books since December And before then, I was reading them all on best-library.net.
    THEN WHO WAS SALE?!

Also Naughty words
    I don't read on flights because of motion sickness so that regulation has no impact on me whatsoever

And also most airlines are doing away with or have done away with that regulation and focus mostly on cellphones now FAA allowing most electronic device use throughout flights - CNN.com

What the bliff Recognized Member
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

For some reason when I try to read digitally I always end up forgetting where I'm at or what page I'm on.

Eggstreme Wheelie Recognized Member Jiro's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Editor
    • Notable contributions to former community wiki

Quote Originally Posted by Shiny View Post
    For some reason when I try to read digitally I always end up forgetting where I'm at or what page I'm on.
    My eReader solves that by saving where I am. Also there are ones that apparently highlight where you were up to?

ToriJ I get what you mean about the physical copies and I share those same sentiments but this is a sometimes thing for me in the same way the Cookie Monster has cookies as a sometimes food. It's just not possible for me to manage having insane libraries full of books. The physical artefact is something well worth preserving but I refuse to sacrifice my ability to read a good book because I am physically unable to bring it with me.

They see me rolling. They hating, patrolling.
    Trying to catch me riding dirty.

Articles

FFXIV Character

Althalor Lightpike (Excalibur)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Social Media Manager

The physical aspect has never been quite so important to me on a personal level but I think that's sort of how I grew up-- much in the same way that I'm fine with having 300 games on Steam rather than 300 "collectible" physical copies of games. When I was a tiny tyke in the mid-80s everything was copied. Dozens and dozens of games copied onto nondescript floppy disks. Dozens and dozens of cartoons taped onto blank VHS tapes. Mishmashes of songs recorded onto a cassette tape. I just never formed the attachment to "the packaging" that I think other people did, and that's probably why I have no real issues with collecting books on an e-reader.

That said ultimately I don't prefer one format over the other. I still buy physical books too if I happen to see one I want. I guess I just don't have a preference.

I love my kindle, especially for thick books I read.

It's not so great for textbooks, sometimes diagrams don't "translate" to the format very well, and of course there is the lack of colour. And of course, certain pretty books like those published by Phaidon I would want physical copies of.

Articles
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Jiro View Post
    ToriJ I get what you mean about the physical copies and I share those same sentiments but this is a sometimes thing for me in the same way the Cookie Monster has cookies as a sometimes food. It's just not possible for me to manage having insane libraries full of books. The physical artefact is something well worth preserving but I refuse to sacrifice my ability to read a good book because I am physically unable to bring it with me.
    Then don't? I'm not saying people shouldn't have e-readers. I'm just not interested in acquiring one at this time. I don't have a lot of books nor do I travel so carrying them isn't an issue. My mom has more books than I do so I'd suggest one for her but she's likely to feel the same way I do.

tech spirit
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Mirage Askai (Sargatanas)

Quote Originally Posted by Flaming Ice View Post
    Easier to remember things by paper and you don't murder your eyes~!
    In what way do e-readers murder your eyes? Please elaborate.
    everything is wrapped in gray
    i'm focusing on your image
    can you hear me in the void?

This could be Dangerous! Carl the Llama's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Legendary Hero (Sargatanas)

I prefer physical books myself, I like the feel of the paper, the smell you get when you enter a second hand book shop... to few second hand book shops are left around these days, but I am quite lucky to have one near the place I do my weekly shopping, I go in there every week, just for that smell. Plus I like my small library of books, having owned over 40 books signed by the various authors I have met (Raymond E Feist and George RR Martin being the most prominent of these) and I like the way my books are pleasing to the eye:

Not mine, but you get the point, it's like painting a picture filled with your favourite things... just one of the many things you cant reciprocate with an e-reader.

Articles

FFXIV Character

Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

Am I the only person who doesn't like the smell of books? Older ones get an overpowering musty scent which I'm not fond of.

New magazines smell much nicer. When I got my Kindle it smelled so delicious straight from the box I loooove the smell of new electronics.

Articles
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

You've never noticed how freshly printed paper smells amazing?

I just got a new book earlier this week and it smells wonderful. The first thing I was asked was "how does it smell".

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Administrator
    • Former Cid's Knight

The phases of conversion:

1) I just love books! I love turning the pages! I love the smell of them!
    2) Oh, an ereader for my birthday? Thanks, I guess. I don't smell anything.
    3) Look at all the books I'm reading!
    4) Ereaders 4 lief!

Happens every time a bookworm touches an ereader. Every time.

Articles

FFXIV Character

Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

I was actually super excited to get an e-reader right from the start. But then again, I am a robot, so I am biased.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Administrator
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by Pike View Post
    I was actually super excited to get an e-reader right from the start. But then again, I am a robot, so I am biased.
    Same. I love it.

Quote Originally Posted by Jinx View Post
    There are two major downfalls for me for e-readers:

1. For whatever reason, sometimes my e-readers spazzes out on me and just starts zooming ahead, and I have to page back to where I was.
    2. I have an obsessive compulsive reading system that I can't do on my e-reader...I have to read it the "normal" way, and so it's kind of grating, especially if I've been reading physical books.
    1. Weird.
    2. Elaborate. I'm intrigued.